Panasonic JZ2000 OLED Owners Thread

mikej

That's the case is it... OLEDs less prone to image retention than plasma?
There's no definitive answer to that question and any answers you do get (including this one !) will be subjective and based on personal experience.

The problem is that there are so many different factors at play - the type and duration of content watched, picture settings, make and model differences and individual panel variations could all have a potential effect on the risk of 'screen burn' on an OLED. While many of those aren't that different to plasma, one issue is that screen burn on an OLED is essentially 'pixel wear' and considered to be cumulative, so 'mixing your content' doesn't have as much of an effect on reducing the risk of image retention as it did on plasmas.

My take on it is this - with plasmas, you often stood a chance at removing any temporary image retention if you spotted it before it became permanent and took action by changing your content for a while, whereas the OLED 'screen burn' issues you often see talked about on these forums tend to be permanent because the pixels have simply worn out - so by the time it starts to appear on an OLED, it's not possible to remove it or remove/reduce the effect.

I take more care with my Panasonic OLED than I did with my plasma, which had proven to be pretty resistant to any kind of image retention, temporary or otherwise... with my viewing habits and picture settings, at least.

NordpolAnton

Standard Member
Is that for all content or just film/TV? Should I set it lower for gaming with IR in mind?

What do people set contrast at generally? In Dolby vision dark mode its set to 100 but filmmaker sets it to 90 by default along with 30 luminance.
I’m sorry, I‘m not a gamer. I did set it for film/tv. 30 luminance just seamed too dark for me (even at night). Maybe luminance 50 would be a good middleway as @Barney Gumble suggested.

stephentw

There's no definitive answer to that question and any answers you do get (including this one !) will be subjective and based on personal experience.

The problem is that there are so many different factors at play - the type and duration of content watched, picture settings, make and model differences and individual panel variations could all have a potential effect on the risk of 'screen burn' on an OLED. While many of those aren't that different to plasma, one issue is that screen burn on an OLED is essentially 'pixel wear' and considered to be cumulative, so 'mixing your content' doesn't have as much of an effect on reducing the risk of image retention as it did on plasmas.

My take on it is this - with plasmas, you often stood a chance at removing any temporary image retention if you spotted it before it became permanent and took action by changing your content for a while, whereas the OLED 'screen burn' issues you often see talked about on these forums tend to be permanent because the pixels have simply worn out - so by the time it starts to appear on an OLED, it's not possible to remove it or remove/reduce the effect.

I take more care with my Panasonic OLED than I did with my plasma, which had proven to be pretty resistant to any kind of image retention, temporary or otherwise... with my viewing habits and picture settings, at least.
What sort of things do you do on oled to avoid it? I feel a bit clueless about how to approach it, do I activate the "my scenery" function or some other screensaver type thing when pausing or just fully turn off?

BlurayMc

Hi guys,

Long term lurker on this forum contemplating a new TV for many years now but never bit the bullet. Been using a ST50 plasma for 9 years now and it's still going strong. Can anyone here comment on how 1080p Blu-Ray looks on the JZ2000. I know most of the people here are into the 4K and HDR but my main viewing will be 1080p Blu-Ray. I've read a lot of comments about the motion from certain sources so was curious how the blu-rays fare out

Thanks for your help :)

stephentw

I was worried about motion but I tested the TV (JZ1500 but essentially the same panel) before buying with scenes I know I found a bit jerky on standard blu ray and it looked basically the same as my plasma (vt65). Any slight motion issue I noticed was so fleeting it wouldn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie at all. If you're worried though I'd recommend taking some blu rays you know well to a small local dealer and having a look. One that was noticeably more jerky was Django Unchained, the scene switch where "Mississippi" scrolls full screen one way with people walking the opposite way but that scene is so short I wasn't going to let it bother me too much and it wasn't too far off how it looks on plasma. apparently people can be more sensitive to "sample and hold" technology I think it's called so it might be more noticeable to some than others. FYI I didn't use any image processing IFC etc on plasma and I'm doing the same on OLED. It may smooth out with IFC and BFI but I don't use them.

In terms of picture quality standard 1080p blu ray looked stunning to my eyes on the JZ, until I tried 4K HDR, unbelieveable! First time I saw it I was kind of shocked at just how good it looked.

Last edited:

Barney Gumble

Hi guys,

Long term lurker on this forum contemplating a new TV for many years now but never bit the bullet. Been using a ST50 plasma for 9 years now and it's still going strong. Can anyone here comment on how 1080p Blu-Ray looks on the JZ2000. I know most of the people here are into the 4K and HDR but my main viewing will be 1080p Blu-Ray. I've read a lot of comments about the motion from certain sources so was curious how the blu-rays fare out

Thanks for your help :)
I have my 4K Ultra HD player hooked up to the TV but, haven't yet watched any discs as I'm awaiting the A4A. I will try to add to @stephentw observations over the next few weeks as we inevitably start to watch more disc-based content.

I haven't noticed anything when watching Disney+, Netflix or Sky Q.

Muratcan

In terms of picture quality standard 1080p blu ray looked stunning to my eyes on the JZ, until I tried 4K HDR, unbelieveable! First time I saw it I was kind of shocked at just how good it looked.
As someone who has a 2014 LED LCD Sony, have never experienced anything with Plasma, this is all I need to hear. I think all the little niggles people go on about won't affect me as I don't know any better lol.

mikej

What sort of things do you do on oled to avoid it? I feel a bit clueless about how to approach it, do I activate the "my scenery" function or some other screensaver type thing when pausing or just fully turn off?
The screensaver is a good feature, but it only works with the TV's own apps/menus and not with external sources so if you use other sources, it's always worth enabling their screensavers, when available. I tend to turn the TV screen off via the picture menu if I know I'm likely to be leaving anything paused for more than a few minutes anyway.

Here are some basic settings/things to check that should reduce the risk of 'screen burn'. I have the GZ, but I would imagine the JZ settings are similar, if not identical...
  • Turn Pixel Orbiter on
  • Set Logo Luminance control to Max
  • Set Panel Maintenance Message to On, so you get a warning when the major cycle is about to run (you get 30 seconds to postpone it if timing isn't convenient)
  • Ensure regular (4 hour) and major (1000 hour) panel maintenance cycles run properly (undisturbed) when TV is put into standby
In addition to that, I would try not to spend too much time browsing the menus or pausing content in the YouTube and Netflix apps due to their bright red logos and progress bars. Being able to 'cast' from the YouTube phone app to the TV is a great feature, because it allows you to browse the menu on your phone instead.

Luckily for me, neither myself or my family members have any interest in watching GMB (with it's problematic logo) or watching live news channels with scrolling banners for hours, as programs/channels of this type have been known to cause issues in the past.

I also avoid overly bright picture modes/settings when watching SDR material - I mainly use the Pro 2 picture mode with a modest Luminance level of 30 and the occasional switch to Pro 1 which is set at 45. These levels may not be high enough for you if you have a bright room and/or watch TV during the day, but I do most of my viewing in a dimly lit room in the evenings so those modes/settings are fine for my environment and ones I would choose regardless of any potential screen-burn risks anyway. I leave the default (maxed out) settings for HDR unchanged, because static content isn't generally a problem with HDR movies / TV series and lowering these would reduce the HDR effect.

Is 'My Scenery' a picture gallery feature they've added to the JZ ? If so, then it sounds like a good option, although the normal screensaver found on Panasonic OLEDs is possibly the better option for helping to reduce the risk of screen burn, depending on how varied the selection of photos is within the My Scenery feature.

BlurayMc

I was worried about motion but I tested the TV (JZ1500 but essentially the same panel) before buying with scenes I know I found a bit jerky on standard blu ray and it looked basically the same as my plasma (vt65). Any slight motion issue I noticed was so fleeting it wouldn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie at all. If you're worried though I'd recommend taking some blu rays you know well to a small local dealer and having a look. One that was noticeably more jerky was Django Unchained, the scene switch where it "Mississippi" scrolls full screen one way with people walking the opposite way but that scene is so short I wasn't going to let it bother me too much and it wasn't too far off how it looks on plasma. apparently people can be more sensitive to "sample and hold" technology I think it's called so it might be more noticeable to some than others. FYI I didn't use any image processing IFC etc on plasma and I'm doing the same on OLED. It may smooth out with IDC and BFI but I don't use them.

Thanks very much for your help :) I'm the same myself with the plasma with all the motion disabled so it's good you're from a similar wavelength

stephentw

The screensaver is a good feature, but it only works with the TV's own apps/menus and not with external sources so if you use other sources, it's always worth enabling their screensavers, when available. I tend to turn the TV screen off via the picture menu if I know I'm likely to be leaving anything paused for more than a few minutes anyway.

Here are some basic settings/things to check that should reduce the risk of 'screen burn'. I have the GZ, but I would imagine the JZ settings are similar, if not identical...
  • Turn Pixel Orbiter on
  • Set Logo Luminance control to Max
  • Set Panel Maintenance Message to On, so you get a warning when the major cycle is about to run (you get 30 seconds to postpone it if timing isn't convenient)
  • Ensure regular (4 hour) and major (1000 hour) panel maintenance cycles run properly (undisturbed) when TV is put into standby
In addition to that, I would try not to spend too much time browsing the menus or pausing content in the YouTube and Netflix apps due to their bright red logos and progress bars. Being able to 'cast' from the YouTube phone app to the TV is a great feature, because it allows you to browse the menu on your phone instead.

Luckily for me, neither myself or my family members have any interest in watching GMB (with it's problematic logo) or watching live news channels with scrolling banners for hours, as programs/channels of this type have been known to cause issues in the past.

I also avoid overly bright picture modes/settings when watching SDR material - I mainly use the Pro 2 picture mode with a modest Luminance level of 30 and the occasional switch to Pro 1 which is set at 45. These levels may not be high enough for you if you have a bright room and/or watch TV during the day, but I do most of my viewing in a dimly lit room in the evenings so those modes/settings are fine for my environment and ones I would choose regardless of any potential screen-burn risks anyway. I leave the default (maxed out) settings for HDR unchanged, because static content isn't generally a problem with HDR movies / TV series and lowering these would reduce the HDR effect.

Is 'My Scenery' a picture gallery feature they've added to the JZ ? If so, then it sounds like a good option, although the normal screensaver found on Panasonic OLEDs is possibly the better option for helping to reduce the risk of screen burn, depending on how varied the selection of photos is within the My Scenery feature.
Yes, the my scenery is a photo mode where there's some sets of photos preinstalled or you can add a USB stick with your own content. There's also some moving ones like a kind of paint splodge moving around, different colours gradually merging together and a watery splash looking thing, some others that look pretty horrible. didn't realise it was new, heres a cheesy ad for it

I've not come across a screensaver yet but I'll have a look. Maybe My Scenery replaced it.

Thanks for the info I'll check those settings, is it ok to fully turn the TV off then back on? Plasmas were less susceptible to IR after warming up a bit so I would mostly keep it on if I knew I was going back to it. Is that not a thing on OLED, it doesn't "warm up" and become less susceptible to IR after say half an hours use than it would be immediately after powering on? Total noob :laugh:

Thanks very much for your help :) I'm the same myself with the plasma with all the motion disabled so it's good you're from a similar wavelength
No problem, hope it helps. I was really worried about motion before I saw it myself and I was pleasantly surprised.

mikej

I've not come across a screensaver yet but I'll have a look. Maybe My Scenery replaced it.
I'm not sure. The floating 'OLED' screensaver has been a feature on Panasonic OLEDs for a while now and there are no options to turn it on or off that I'm aware of. If you want to confirm that it's still present on the JZs, then try pausing one of the TV's apps and it should kick in after a few minutes of inactivity.

Thanks for the info I'll check those settings, is it ok to fully turn the TV off then back on? Plasmas were less susceptible to IR after warming up a bit so I would mostly keep it on if I knew I was going back to it. Is that not a thing on OLED, it doesn't "warm up" and become less susceptible to IR after say half an hours use than it would be immediately after powering on? Total noob :laugh:
Despite being an ex-plasma owner for around 8 years or so, that's a new one on me ! If anything, I'm under the impression that the opposite is true for OLEDs - that heat actually increases the chances of premature pixel wear, hence the heatsink Panasonic build into their (brighter) JZ2000 models. If you're interested in finding out more, this part of the HDTVTest video review of the GZ20000 shows temporary image retention disappearing quicker on a GZ2000 than a competing model and this was put down (in part, at least) to the heatsink present in the 2000 series OLEDs.

I only tend to put my OLED into standby when I've finished watching it for a while and just turn the screen off (via the Screen Settings menu option) when I pause one of the streaming apps for more than a few minutes, especially when viewing in HDR. Once you've turned the screen off via the menu once in any one viewing session, doing it subsequently becomes a lot quicker as the menu defaults to the options you last selected. An instant 'screensaver' button would be a fantastic feature to add to the remote !

Magic-NeilJ

Received our JZ2000 today and so obviously just starting to try understand a little of what is discussed on here and basic settings we need to be looking at. I am sure this has been asked before but I just can't find it: on a Sky Q box (with UHD) on the audio side, for Digital audio output HDMI should it be set to Normal?

Thanks.

Barney Gumble

Received our JZ2000 today and so obviously just starting to try understand a little of what is discussed on here and basic settings we need to be looking at. I am sure this has been asked before but I just can't find it: on a Sky Q box (with UHD) on the audio side, for Digital audio output HDMI should it be set to Normal?

Thanks.
DD+ surely, with the speaker arrangement the TV has:).

if you use just ‘normal’ output, I’m confident I’m right in saying you’ll only get PCM stereo and accordingly, only be utilising two of the TVs speakers.

Last edited:

Magic-NeilJ

I will give it a go - I was taken back as the volume level decreased significantly when not on the Normal option so the doubt set in at that point.

Barney Gumble

I will give it a go - I was taken back as the volume level decreased significantly when not on the Normal option so the doubt set in at that point.
That's because on 'normal' you're only using two speakers as the output is only stereo.

When using DD+, you use more of the TV's internal speaker arrangement and so the sound is spread around the seven speaker arrangement (+ sub) accordingly. The effect is, it appears quieter... until you get to adverts and it will inevitably blow your ears off.

Trial and error my friend until you find a happy medium, but if you do use DD+, you will likely notice the sound fluctuating, depending on the content/channel.

Magic-NeilJ

So here's the next probably obvious one - only noticed it today, but the left black border appears wider than on the right hand side of the screen. Hopefully it isn't a build issue and some either feature or setting?

Barney Gumble

So here's the next probably obvious one - only noticed it today, but the left black border appears wider than on the right hand side of the screen. Hopefully it isn't a build issue and some either feature or setting?
If you are referring to the actual frame of the TV, mine is the same. I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out.

mikej

It's probably the Pixel Orbiter feature, which shifts the image slightly every now and again to help reduce the risk/effects of 'screen burn'.

Magic-NeilJ

It's probably the Pixel Orbiter feature, which shifts the image slightly every now and again to help reduce the risk/effects of 'screen burn'.
I did wonder that, but when I started to read about that, it seemed to be talking about something that didn't quite match.

mikej

I did wonder that, but when I started to read about that, it seemed to be talking about something that didn't quite match.
I just turned Pixel Orbiter off temporarily and it evened out the borders on my GZ ;)

It shifts the whole image a few pixels, which presumably has the effect of widening one of the borders.

It bothered me a little when I first got the TV, but it doesn't now.

Last edited:

WarHog

Hoping to learn of any settings needed in advance of getting my JZ2000, I will be using with Sky Q as our main feed and with an Xbox Series X for occasional gaming. We currently use the Sky Q box for watching Netflix, Disney+ & Amazon Video but I understand getting an Apple TV 4K box will give me better use of these apps?

So when connecting the Sky Q & Xbox to the JZ2000 via HDMI, are there any sound & picture setting adjustments I'll need to make on the devices for best results?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Philips unveils A7507 TWS headphones and new rugged outdoor speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips FB1 soundbar will use Fidelio wireless platform
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips announces OLED807 and 8807 The One TVs for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lenco launches 400 series turntable and speaker combo