Panasonic JZ2000 disappointment 😞

Ok so I've now got

• Xbox to TV HDMI 1 with a brand new HDMI 2.1 cable (not fake certified either).
  • TV HDMI 2 to AVR via eARC.
  • TV set to mode 2 instead of 3 on HDMI 1
  • TV set to mode 3 on HDMI 2
  • AVR HDMI set to enhanced
  • eARC enabled on the TV
  • Xbox gives all the ticks for video output except the 2 for 120hz and VRR is greyed out in video modes
  • Xbox audio set to bitstream and Atmos

I then tested in Gears 5, got Dolby Vision popup on the TV but AVR isn't displaying Atmos it just displays "Dolby Surround" and shows the active speakers as 7.1 which I don't even have. If it's being bitstreamed Atmos it would usually say Atmos. Unless this is how Dolby MAT behaves? Or maybe my AVR doesn't even support Dolby MAT. I get the same behavior in Disney+ and Netflix but interestingly they do both show Atmos which they didn't before. I tried the Dolby app and the demo clips play and I can hear the height channels but I don't get Atmos displayed still. All a bit strange.

If I use 5.1 uncompressed in the xbox settings and run the Dolby app demos I get a popup at the bottom of the screen saying I'm not running atmos and the AVR displays Dolby Digital+ and activates more channels than bitstream and Atmos enabled. I spend more time testing it to figure out whats going on but it seems strange to me. If the Xbox is direct into the AVR it displays Atmos but I lose all the video capabilities.

This is what I'm experiencing but with the Xbox I guess, I have 5.1.4.

Did you have passthrough enabled in the Xbox ?
You had greyed out settings because you keep setting it to mode 2 set them both to 3
So the tv earc is working as in built apps going to receiver ok so it’s only the Xbox side gut feeling turn to mode 3 and check pass through
Also are you not looking at the signal received on the av receiver as 5.1.4 the output should be how you configured the av receiver speakers at setup
The other signal coming from the tv apps looks right well is right because it’s not pass through it actually might all be working ok if so change to mode 3 to try 120hz vrr

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, do you use an AV receiver? I discovered today at some point Apple removed the option to output Bitstream audio as passthrough, to allow the AV receiver to do the decoding and processing. This isn't an issue for me, as only using 3.2.1 set up taking advantage of Yamaha Cinema Front. But It will be an issue for anyone with an Av receiver and an atmos or 7.1 set up. If they decide to use an apple TV 4k, they will have to compromise on sound compared to something like an Nvidia Shield.
No I don’t
Out of curiosity, do you use an AV receiver? I discovered today at some point Apple removed the option to output Bitstream audio as passthrough, to allow the AV receiver to do the decoding and processing. This isn't an issue for me, as only using 3.2.1 set up taking advantage of Yamaha Cinema Front. But It will be an issue for anyone with an Av receiver and an atmos or 7.1 set up. If they decide to use an apple TV 4k, they will have to compromise on sound compared to something like an Nvidia Shield.
On mine it says audio will be decoded and sent as uncompressed multichannel lpcm so should be fine

HDMI ARC signaling works similarly to the HDMI forward channel - there's an E-EDID to indicate what audio formats and features are supported. The key difference between HDMI ARC and the HDMI forward channel is how much data can be transmitted - ARC only supports the 48 kHz and 192 kHz clock rates which means that Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus are supported but Dolby TrueHD is not supported as there isn't enough bandwidth.

For Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus-based Dolby Atmos content (that's a mouthful) can be sent via HDMI ARC, but Dolby TrueHD-based Dolby Atmos content can't. What this means is that Dolby Atmos can be sent over ARC, but only within Dolby Digital Plus. In the future, televisions will be able to transcode Dolby TrueHD to Dolby Digital Plus to send Dolby Atmos audio over ARC, and with HDMI 2.1 and enhanced audio return channel (E-ARC), lossless audio can be sent over ARC.

In the past, many televisions have replicated the same audio that was sent over S/PDIF to HDMI ARC. While this was fine for stereo and Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus can only be sent over ARC, and requires a different higher clock rate than S/PDIF, so care needs to be taken in order to give consumers the Dolby Atmos experience over HDMI ARC.

I hope this helps

Did you have passthrough enabled in the Xbox ?
You had greyed out settings because you keep setting it to mode 2 set them both to 3
So the tv earc is working as in built apps going to receiver ok so it’s only the Xbox side gut feeling turn to mode 3 and check pass through
Also are you not looking at the signal received on the av receiver as 5.1.4 the output should be how you configured the av receiver speakers at setup
The other signal coming from the tv apps looks right well is right because it’s not pass through it actually might all be working ok if so change to mode 3 to try 120hz vrr
Yeah I changed to mode 2 because when I set them both to mode 3 I was getting audio dropouts. Passthrough enabled on xbox also but I think thats just for apps.

I need to double check everything and spend a decent amount of time on it. The crux of the matter is if the audio is bitstreamed the AVR should display what the xbox is sending. So if it's truly sending Atmos the AVR should say so on the front panel but it doesn't.

Yeah I changed to mode 2 because when I set them both to mode 3 I was getting audio dropouts. Passthrough enabled on xbox also but I think thats just for apps.

I need to double check everything and spend a decent amount of time on it. The crux of the matter is if the audio is bitstreamed the AVR should display what the xbox is sending. So if it's truly sending Atmos the AVR should say so on the front panel but it doesn't.
Yes that’s the problem I was getting
I did a little test with the Xbox because of locks question about Apple TV pass thru
If the tv has its sound setting to direct it just plays stereo using two speakers or atmos using all speakers on the tv I checked this it works perfectly so to check pass thru on the Xbox I set to uncompressed stereo and on the front speakers played the sound I changed to 5.1 so letting the Xbox decode and send uncompressed this to worked correctly so I now changed to 120hz it worked so this is like the Apple TV the best setting and should be fine looks and sounds great the ps5 does not have this level of options so works great
The Xbox does not give me the option of 7.1 with this tv which I think is understandable I think anyone with a av receiver should go straight to Xbox then receiver to tv I don’t know if it’s a coms issue or it’s the hdmi bandwidth issue on the Xbox but the tv as a atmos device works fine

I think this might be the issue though, I'm using an AVR to output sound not the TV. The Xbox works fine straight into the AVR which will be the experience you're getting with the xbox connected to the TV. I think the complexity/issues are coming with the TV sending the audio via eARC to the AVR. That's where Dolby MAT comes into play I believe.

I think this might be the issue though, I'm using an AVR to output sound not the TV. The Xbox works fine straight into the AVR which will be the experience you're getting with the xbox connected to the TV. I think the complexity/issues are coming with the TV sending the audio via eARC to the AVR. That's where Dolby MAT comes into play I believe.
Yes I agree have you seen under the sound menu you can turn off tv speakers etc I’m sure there’s a pass thru option Stephen it’s difficult because most would have bought this tv for its sound as well as amazing piture

I don't think that's necessarily true, especially on this forum there's a large contingent of AVR owners with full 5.1.4 or even higher setups, dedicated rooms etc.

In terms of the sound settings, yes the TV sound is set to play only through the AVR, I couldn't tell you what the TV itself even sounds like, I've never turned the volume on. The TV remote can control the volume of the AVR via eARC/CEC.

I don't think that's necessarily true, especially on this forum there's a large contingent of AVR owners with full 5.1.4 or even higher setups, dedicated rooms etc.

In terms of the sound settings, yes the TV sound is set to play only through the AVR, I couldn't tell you what the TV itself even sounds like, I've never turned the volume on. The TV remote can control the volume of the AVR via eARC/CEC.
Yes but if I had full system I would have bought the jz1500

Yep, this is the problem. lpcm uncompressed where the Apple TV or Xbox decodes the audio and sends 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever config to the output device is 'okay' for basic set ups. It's what I have with a 3.2.1 cinema front set up. or would be fine for a soundbar . But as you said below, with a good quality AVR with atmos, the AVR will do a better job of decoding and amplifying a suitable Atmos bitstream, than the XBOX.
It very much sounds like the TV is simply unable to pass the bitstream successfully via eARC from the Xbox.

Yes but if I had full system I would have bought the jz1500
I did :thumbsup:

I mentioned that in one of my first posts on this thread. It's basically the same without the speakers though, it would probably be easier if there was just one big JZ owners thread because they all have quite a bit in common.
Yep, this is the problem. lpcm uncompressed where the Apple TV or Xbox decodes the audio and sends 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever config to the output device is 'okay' for basic set ups. It's what I have with a 3.2.1 cinema front set up. or would be fine for a soundbar . But as you said below, with a good quality AVR with atmos, the AVR will do a better job of decoding and amplifying a suitable Atmos bitstream, than the XBOX.
It very much sounds like the TV is simply unable to pass the bitstream successfully via eARC from the Xbox.
Yeah I agree with this, I also noticed last night that the output from eARC is REALLY low too, I was watching netflix from the internal app and had to turn it up to about -11dB when that would usually be blow your ears out loud. I usually watch netflix at -30 to -25dB roughly. It also sounded quite poor, no bass, a bit crap really and it never used to sound like that if I streamed it from anything else, only since eARC has been added into the equation.

not sure my edit worked so reposting. Rtings tested loads of TVs for this exact issue. Looks like no panasonics on the test list. but the X90J which uses the same chipset for hdmi2.1 processing DOES support atmos passthrough over eARC. So it definitely 'could' work with our TVs. May be an obscure setting, or need a software update.

FYI, After changing lots of settings configuring TV I got some audio 'blips' I also started getting digital artifacts on the screen. Looked like bad processing...setting changes made no difference, power cycling TV, no difference. Restarted all Av equipment, no good. Tried different hdmi cable.. no good...

Factory reset TV, put in my picture settings again (identical), everything is perfect, fixed audio issues and the digital artifacts.

So, as a last resort, maybe make a list of ALL your correct settings and picture settings. Factory reset TV and start again, see if it makes a diference.

I did :thumbsup:

I mentioned that in one of my first posts on this thread. It's basically the same without the speakers though, it would probably be easier if there was just one big JZ owners thread because they all have quite a bit in common.

Yeah I agree with this, I also noticed last night that the output from eARC is REALLY low too, I was watching netflix from the internal app and had to turn it up to about -11dB when that would usually be blow your ears out loud. I usually watch netflix at -30 to -25dB roughly. It also sounded quite poor, no bass, a bit crap really and it never used to sound like that if I streamed it from anything else, only since eARC has been added into the equation.
Sounds crazy, but you have tried under the TV audio settings switching between Auto and Passthrough?

That's definitely a last resort but yeah I might have to do a full reset. I'll hopefully have more time to test over the weekend. There's definitely something not right, I don't think eARC is passing the audio correctly because the AVR doesn't pick up changes to audio formats I make on the xbox, DTS, Atmos, DD, don't trigger the display to change but they do trigger a handshake.

Sounds crazy, but you have tried under the TV audio settings switching between Auto and Passthrough?
I have and it does do something but doesn't fix it unfortunately.

[QUOTE="LockStock01, post: 29841693, member: 800655
[/QUOTE]
It does send 4K erac at 60hz
But you would feed everything to the avr first in a purist system and it would have to be a very good avr to tell the difference some thing like my naim av2 system back in the day as I said I bought the kuro 600m m been for monitor it never even had a tv tuner that was purist
There better options for purists jz1500
But you don’t have to buy an Xbox you can buy a ps5 oh hang on it doesn’t do atmos
Don’t buy either then it’s not the TVs fault
I’ve had the nivida shield the best kodi box there was oh hang on a purist is not going to want inferior rips on his system he will buy Blu-ray I sold the nvida shield for the Apple TV either way not the TVs fault

That's definitely a last resort but yeah I might have to do a full reset. I'll hopefully have more time to test over the weekend. There's definitely something not right, I don't think eARC is passing the audio correctly because the AVR doesn't pick up changes to audio formats I make on the xbox, DTS, Atmos, DD, don't trigger the display to change but they do trigger a handshake.

I have and it does do something but doesn't fix it unfortunately.
I think Stephen has already said that earc is working with the internal apps on the tv if I remember and Stephen you do get a difference in volume between apps even on the Apple TV that is something we all have to live with unfortunately

[QUOTE="LockStock01, post: 29841693, member: 800655
But you would feed everything to the avr first in a purist system and it would have to be a very good avr to tell the difference some thing like my naim av2 system back in the day as I said I bought the kuro 600m m been for monitor it never even had a tv tuner that was purist
But you don’t have to buy an Xbox you can buy a ps5 oh hang on it doesn’t do atmos
I’ve had the nivida shield the best kodi box there was oh hang on a purist is not going to want inferior rips on his system he will buy Blu-ray I sold the nvida shield for the Apple TV either way not the TVs fault
[/QUOTE]
I'm not knocking the TV, or the nature of a 'purist' but even inferior AV systems will behave differently based on an uncompressed signal vs a bitstream. The eARC standard was in part to help simplify things, and give the option to hand off audio processing to external gear, whether it be an Av receiver or a soundbar. Other TVs with HDMI 2.1 and eARC acheive this. So it's not a criticism of the TV, it's just trying to find a workaround. Just because a purist might not own an Xbox and use for media playback doesn't mean other people wouldnt benefit from Atmos passthrough working... and purist or not, the HDMI doesnt go via the receiver, precisely because they want 120hz and if possible VRR support!
Most people wont drop an extra 1000 plus on a new AV receiver because they game console added 120hz VRR support.
Also surround sound imaging can sound vastly different in AV receiver fed a 5.1 uncompressed signal vs a dedicated DTS X bitstream to decode. likewise a spacial audio signal vs Atmos can sound wildly different as the way the Receiver handles the imaging wont be the same without all the meta data it uses.

I'm not knocking the TV, or the nature of a 'purist' but even inferior AV systems will behave differently based on an uncompressed signal vs a bitstream. The eARC standard was in part to help simplify things, and give the option to hand off audio processing to external gear, whether it be an Av receiver or a soundbar. Other TVs with HDMI 2.1 and eARC acheive this. So it's not a criticism of the TV, it's just trying to find a workaround. Just because a purist might not own an Xbox and use for media playback doesn't mean other people wouldnt benefit from Atmos passthrough working... and purist or not, the HDMI doesnt go via the receiver, precisely because they want 120hz and if possible VRR support!
Most people wont drop an extra 1000 plus on a new AV receiver because they game console added 120hz VRR support.
Also surround sound imaging can sound vastly different in AV receiver fed a 5.1 uncompressed signal vs a dedicated DTS X bitstream to decode. likewise a spacial audio signal vs Atmos can sound wildly different as the way the Receiver handles the imaging wont be the same without all the meta data it uses.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t think it’s going to happen I did the calc at 444 10 bit 4K 120hz it was 41gbs the Xbox hdmi 2.1 is 40 you can lower to 4.22 or 4.2.0 8 bit Vincent explains this I don’t know if they would be any effect on Dolby atmos or wether it’s Xbox issue with av receivers but I believe most tv2.1 hdmi support full bandwidth 48gbs
I understand TVs are ahead of the game and everyone wants the new best standards to work but it’s probably going to be next gen equipment if anyone had a pc to try that would be great because that does work but at half resolution as you previously pointed out
The difference between Xbox games in atmos or uncompressed or even Dolby digital is little but as you point out on a really good system you might hear it
4K uhd I would totally agree but no one’s having issues with that
My point set to Dolby digital and enjoy your games at 120hz or set to 60hz and atmos
Buy a new Apple 4K tv box and enjoy in uncompressed audio with a receiver and just enjoy the tv
I don’t use a receiver and enjoy atmos on all but I totally understand the frustration

Last edited:
I've had kuros for about 13yrs... 5090, krp500 and then a 600a... I bought a 55inch ez952 3 yrs ago and what I liked about it is being able to rid the soap opera effect completely... couldn't do it on the Sony A1 at the time although stunning still looked artificial (maybe if you love led soap opera look)... I only used the oled for movies and occasionally Netflix or prime some things were not quite as smooth as the kuro .. never used it for normal tv until I set it up at my mates stepsons place when he bought it from me.... seemed fine.. I now have the 65 inch hz2000... Again ifc. Intelligent frame creation OFF... and in a professional mode 1 or 2 and tweak the luminance, contrast etc and no problems whatsoever with blurays, Netflix etc.. the motion is improved over the ez952 and more detail, in shadows and black levels and brightness... easily matches the kuro in the front room probably better motion.. picture is different league though...
Stuck with Panasonic now for the plasma, natural look to movies as can't stand soap opera effect...

Thanks. How about Disney+, would that be better when viewed from the Apple TV rather than from the TV itself?

Picture wise I don’t think you’ll be missing out with the tv app . However , there have been some users who say they are not able to access Dolby Atmos through Panasonic’s Disney app .

Considering a jz2000 myself and I’m a bit worried about having to purchase an additional streaming device . Yes I know theoretically a streaming device is better but I just can’t be bothered with the hassle and additional price .

I've had kuros for about 13yrs... 5090, krp500 and then a 600a... I bought a 55inch ez952 3 yrs ago and what I liked about it is being able to rid the soap opera effect completely... couldn't do it on the Sony A1 at the time although stunning still looked artificial (maybe if you love led soap opera look)... I only used the oled for movies and occasionally Netflix or prime some things were not quite as smooth as the kuro .. never used it for normal tv until I set it up at my mates stepsons place when he bought it from me.... seemed fine.. I now have the 65 inch hz2000... Again ifc. Intelligent frame creation OFF... and in a professional mode 1 or 2 and tweak the luminance, contrast etc and no problems whatsoever with blurays, Netflix etc.. the motion is improved over the ez952 and more detail, in shadows and black levels and brightness... easily matches the kuro in the front room probably better motion.. picture is different league though...
Stuck with Panasonic now for the plasma, natural look to movies as can't stand soap opera effect...
I currently have a 60 inch Pioneer KURO 600A and am thinking of replacing it with the Panasonic JZ2000 (65 inch version). So you feel that it is a sizable improvement? Thank you.

Picture wise I don’t think you’ll be missing out with the tv app . However , there have been some users who say they are not able to access Dolby Atmos through Panasonic’s Disney app .

Considering a jz2000 myself and I’m a bit worried about having to purchase an additional streaming device . Yes I know theoretically a streaming device is better but I just can’t be bothered with the hassle and additional price .
I've got a 65inch GZ950 and the Disney plus app has just been updated and dolby atmos now works so I presume on the JZ it will now work as well

I currently have a 60 inch Pioneer KURO 600A and am thinking of replacing it with the Panasonic JZ2000 (65 inch version). So you feel that it is a sizable improvement? Thank you.

My 55 ez952 was better than my krp for blurays and the 65 hz2000 is better than that... surprisingly more detail and doesn't look softer on the larger screen either..

so I assume the jz will be awesome too..

Tbh.. I don't use the speakers on the hz2000 much at all only if I watch a Netflix film or something and don't want the surround kit on...and I think the side ones on the kuro in our family room are possibly better but that might also be the fact that I built them into some side cabinets I made so are that further apart...giving a greater dispersion of sound..?? But then I only sit 6.5 feet from the oled.. So maybe the jz1500 if you have a setup... if there was the custom panel like the jz's without atmos speakers on the hz series I would have got that...saved some more money but can't grumble as got a bargain as it is..

The picture though is awesome ... blacks are truly black and more detail with a brighter picture.. I haven't got sky or anything attached to the TV just an av receiver with 2 bluray players... 1080p is great but 4khdr blurays are on another level... even my wife was gobsmacked by how good it was..
It has a very similar picture to the pioneer as in its cinematic and films look like films not soap operas and there are a ton of picture settings... only way I could think of it is like a 16g + kuro or whatever if pioneer ever made one..
If you can get to a RS , sevenoaks or independent store with a demo room take in a couple bluray discs.. what I did a couple yrs ago when I got my ez952.. opening credits on Halloween were amazing.. and turn ifc OFF to me it's what makes all the difference..
If your looking to part with that sort of money it's gotta be done to put the TV through its paces.. dont just buy blind.. the guys in my local RS said I have to try the Panasonic oled... they were right.. and I'll stick with them for a future oled if they make bigger screen sizes...if you can though keep the kuro for another room.. still fond of them tvs..

My 55 ez952 was better than my krp for blurays and the 65 hz2000 is better than that... surprisingly more detail and doesn't look softer on the larger screen either..

so I assume the jz will be awesome too..

Tbh.. I don't use the speakers on the hz2000 much at all only if I watch a Netflix film or something and don't want the surround kit on...and I think the side ones on the kuro in our family room are possibly better but that might also be the fact that I built them into some side cabinets I made so are that further apart...giving a greater dispersion of sound..?? But then I only sit 6.5 feet from the oled.. So maybe the jz1500 if you have a setup... if there was the custom panel like the jz's without atmos speakers on the hz series I would have got that...saved some more money but can't grumble as got a bargain as it is..

The picture though is awesome ... blacks are truly black and more detail with a brighter picture.. I haven't got sky or anything attached to the TV just an av receiver with 2 bluray players... 1080p is great but 4khdr blurays are on another level... even my wife was gobsmacked by how good it was..
It has a very similar picture to the pioneer as in its cinematic and films look like films not soap operas and there are a ton of picture settings... only way I could think of it is like a 16g + kuro or whatever if pioneer ever made one..
If you can get to a RS , sevenoaks or independent store with a demo room take in a couple bluray discs.. what I did a couple yrs ago when I got my ez952.. opening credits on Halloween were amazing.. and turn ifc OFF to me it's what makes all the difference..
If your looking to part with that sort of money it's gotta be done to put the TV through its paces.. dont just buy blind.. the guys in my local RS said I have to try the Panasonic oled... they were right.. and I'll stick with them for a future oled if they make bigger screen sizes...if you can though keep the kuro for another room.. still fond of them tvs..
Thank you so much mate for your feedback. Great help to me! :)

Thank you so much mate for your feedback. Great help to me! :)
No problems fella... be interested to hear your thoughts when you get to see the TV in person..

Props to RS as booked a demo one evening and they got out the oleds I was interested in for me to try... had the remotes, my films and lights off so like a home environment... was a game changer from a bright showroom and if was the case would pay a bit more for that service...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom