Panasonic JZ2000 disappointment 😞

stephentw

Yes that sounds about right although I'm not getting Atmos from Xbox in streaming and getting other issues so I'm looking into a Shield for streaming apps. Not tried an atmos game yet (think gears 5 is DV/Atmos? I'll try that).

Do you not have sound dropouts? Are you using eARC to send sound to an amp/soundbar?

LockStock01

I've noticed that the way a single app handles video encoding can have a big effect, so careful not to go chasing 'ghosts'. As an example: Apple TV 4k, video output set to 60hz SDR as standard, but frame rate and range set to match source material.
Watching Now TV app. F1.
When watching F1 live stream on the app, this set up resolves to SDR at 60Hz on the TV. A little IFC (2.2) and there is no judder.

If I watch the same programme but as an On Demand, using the same app, it still resolves to SDR 60Hz, but the judder is horrendous and it cannot be tuned out. If I change the Apple TV to output at 50hz SDR with frame rate and range set to match content, this on demand broadcast resolves to 50hz SDR on TV and is 100% judder free!!!!

All this means, is the file format and decoding for the SAME content on the SAME app is clearly different.... I suspect the live broadcast is downsampled when sky make available for On Demand catch up, despite still being an HD file.... So yea, a lot of the issues people have are nothing to do with the TV, and when it's the same app doing it, there is no 'auto' function available to have tye TV choose the best setting on it's own.....

scarie

I've noticed that the way a single app handles video encoding can have a big effect, so careful not to go chasing 'ghosts'. As an example: Apple TV 4k, video output set to 60hz SDR as standard, but frame rate and range set to match source material.
Watching Now TV app. F1.
When watching F1 live stream on the app, this set up resolves to SDR at 60Hz on the TV. A little IFC (2.2) and there is no judder.

If I watch the same programme but as an On Demand, using the same app, it still resolves to SDR 60Hz, but the judder is horrendous and it cannot be tuned out. If I change the Apple TV to output at 50hz SDR with frame rate and range set to match content, this on demand broadcast resolves to 50hz SDR on TV and is 100% judder free!!!!

All this means, is the file format and decoding for the SAME content on the SAME app is clearly different.... I suspect the live broadcast is downsampled when sky make available for On Demand catch up, despite still being an HD file.... So yea, a lot of the issues people have are nothing to do with the TV, and when it's the same app doing it, there is no 'auto' function available to have tye TV choose the best setting on it's own.....
Exactly right

scarie

Lock I set the ps5 up yesterday it has very few options to Xbox no atmos vrr but saying that I did set 120hz set the spacial sound and switched tone map off and set my self it looked nice and there where no issues

LockStock01

Lock I set the ps5 up yesterday it has very few options to Xbox no atmos vrr but saying that I did set 120hz set the spacial sound and switched tone map off and set my self it looked nice and there where no issues
Yea its all good for me. I actually switched off 120hz.. and its rock solid at 60, full 4k resolution. What did you set the clipping threshold at?

scarie

Yea its all good for me. I actually switched off 120hz.. and its rock solid at 60, full 4k resolution. What did you set the clipping threshold at?
I set clipping at 950 Vincent’s advice on the tv make sure when setting up hdr the advice from the console is use the patterns don’t
Black is easy all the way down the others I believe eAch click is 50 nits so I count to 50 100 as two clicks all the way to 950 it does look better on both

LockStock01

I set clipping at 950 Vincent’s advice on the tv make sure when setting up hdr the advice from the console is use the patterns don’t
Black is easy all the way down the others I believe eAch click is 50 nits so I count to 50 100 as two clicks all the way to 950 it does look better on both
Not sure I understand. You set it to 950 on the TV? do you change any settings on the ps5?

scarie

Not sure I understand. You set it to 950 on the TV? do you change any settings on the ps5?
Yes so go to the hdr calibration section you get two white sections and one black
Set it back to zero using the dpad and count the times you press it up each is 50 nits I believe set to 950 black leave at 0

stephentw

Yes that sounds about right although I'm not getting Atmos from Xbox in streaming and getting other issues so I'm looking into a Shield for streaming apps. Not tried an atmos game yet (think gears 5 is DV/Atmos? I'll try that).

Do you not have sound dropouts? Are you using eARC to send sound to an amp/soundbar?
Right I've had another crack at this, I've set HDMI 1 to "mode 2" so no HDMI v2.1 and can confirm the Xbox gives all the green ticks in the video modes test EXCEPT the 120hz ones. I set audio to "uncompressed 7.1" and allow passthrough.

So into Gears 5 I went, as far as I can tell I now get Dolby Vision, 60hz, no VRR (as expected due to HMDI 2.0 mode) but I also DON'T get Atmos. I just get 7.1 showing on my Denon receiver which I can upmix to height channels but I don't get actual Atmos.

I then tried to get the audio working, changed to 5.1 uncompressed, still no Atmos. Changed to Bitstream and specifically picked Atmos in the list, still no Atmos on my receiver. I tried DTS and that clicked to DTS mode but DTS X didn't click to DTS X mode on my receiver either so eARC isn't working for me with spatial audio.

LockStock01

Right I've had another crack at this, I've set HDMI 1 to "mode 2" so no HDMI v2.1 and can confirm the Xbox gives all the green ticks in the video modes test EXCEPT the 120hz ones. I set audio to "uncompressed 7.1" and allow passthrough.

So into Gears 5 I went, as far as I can tell I now get Dolby Vision, 60hz, no VRR (as expected due to HMDI 2.0 mode) but I also DON'T get Atmos. I just get 7.1 showing on my Denon receiver which I can upmix to height channels but I don't get actual Atmos.

I then tried to get the audio working, changed to 5.1 uncompressed, still no Atmos. Changed to Bitstream and specifically picked Atmos in the list, still no Atmos on my receiver. I tried DTS and that clicked to DTS mode but DTS X didn't click to DTS X mode on my receiver either so eARC isn't working for me with spatial audio.
do you have any devices connected which are not 2.1 compliant? Id be curious if you just have the TV and the Xbox connected to the receiver. all other HDMI disconnected, and see if it works. I remember when the move went to hdmi 2.0 and for some AV receivers if you had older 1.4 devices connected, even not in the signal chain, it could screw up HDCP hand shake errors. I know this is a different issue, but I'm just curious. Also, I assume your av is fully 2.1 compliant?

stephentw

No it's not a 2.1 AVR but I'm not sending the xbox 2.1 video through the AVR so that shouldn't be an issue surely? The xbox is going direct to HDMI 1 on the TV the eARC from HDMI 2 to the AVR. It's a Denon x6400 with the latest firmware and eARC enabled.

Curious if anyone else gets Atmos via eARC from an xbox though.

scarie

It needs to be mode 3 and set sound to bitstream and then bitstream atmos underneath

scarie

No it's not a 2.1 AVR but I'm not sending the xbox 2.1 video through the AVR so that shouldn't be an issue surely? The xbox is going direct to HDMI 1 on the TV the eARC from HDMI 2 to the AVR. It's a Denon x6400 with the latest firmware and eARC enabled.

Atmos eArc does need a cable that works 2.1 does you maybe lucky with a another I have noticed regardless of spec some manufacturers state wether earc compatible

LockStock01

Technically shouldn't be a problem, but it becomes trial an error when these things don't work

scarie

Technically shouldn't be a problem, but it becomes trial an error when these things don't work
It does work into the tv if I was Stephen I’d set to bitstream and then bitstream Dolby digital and see if it works then you can go through a process to figure it out

stephentw

It bitstreams other things ok I think but I've tried that many settings I can't remember. Might see what the PS5 does with it, that only uses uncompressed PCM I think.

Dolby digital is low bitrate though not lossless and I think xbox streams Atmos as PCM plus metadata or dolby "MAT" if I'm not mistaken?

scarie

It bitstreams other things ok I think but I've tried that many settings I can't remember. Might see what the PS5 does with it, that only uses uncompressed PCM I think.

Dolby digital is low bitrate though not lossless and I think xbox streams Atmos as PCM plus metadata or dolby "MAT" if I'm not mistaken?
I understand but I’m trying to go through it methodically I had a very similar issue I found as I have already stated that it’s either 120hz or atmos if I select 4K 60hz atmos is fine if I select 120hz I have to use Dolby digital it could be to do with the 40g/s limit on the hdmi output
Ps5 will work but it does not use these features it only outputs 32g/s on the hdmi

scarie

scarie

I would ask you just to try this
Tv mode 3
Xbox 4K 60hz bitstream atmos 2.1 cables if that works then start changing settings

Repoman666

So I waited and waited. Finally it was down to a Sony A90J or a Panasonic Jz2000.
My friendly local Panasonic dealer persuaded me and a few days later I have a brand new Jz2000 65 inch.

For the last 10 years I have had a Panasonic plasma.
This new TV is my first 4k Oled and to be honest I am really disappointed.

The judder I am getting on motion is just terrible. Panning shots are just awful. Watching squid game the other night it looked like my screen was going to shake itself to death.

I ran some tests and sadly it seems to be better if you leave all the frame creation etc on, it helps the motion, but the picture looks terrible.
I cant win.
I think I am going to take it back and stick with the plasma.
Hello There,
I have the HZ2000 and before that a flagship LG . . . . . But before that a Pioneer Kuro -
the reason i'm telling you all this is because at first it took me a while to get used to the switch-over.
I put it down to not only that I really did love the Kuro but the jump in size from 50" to 65" was having a part to play as well as the technology difference. I ended getting the LG at the time calibrated to see if that helped. Once the settings on the LG were done which I kept as Calibrated by Vincent Teoh I gradually got used to the change,
Just over a year ago I bought the HZ2000 and I think it is at least on a par with how I remember the Pioneer Kuro if not better - I have not bothered to have it calibrated as I think it is perfect out of the box and anyone that's seen it have made a remark about how good the PQ is.
The only tweaking I have done is from some recommended settings I found on Flat Panels HD - The Link follows . . . . I left Filmmaker Mode alone because most of the time I find it excellent with the content I watch. Some of the other Picture settings I tweaked with what i found on FPHD.

scarie

Hello There,
I have the HZ2000 and before that a flagship LG . . . . . But before that a Pioneer Kuro -
the reason i'm telling you all this is because at first it took me a while to get used to the switch-over.
I put it down to not only that I really did love the Kuro but the jump in size from 50" to 65" was having a part to play as well as the technology difference. I ended getting the LG at the time calibrated to see if that helped. Once the settings on the LG were done which I kept as Calibrated by Vincent Teoh I gradually got used to the change,
Just over a year ago I bought the HZ2000 and I think it is at least on a par with how I remember the Pioneer Kuro if not better - I have not bothered to have it calibrated as I think it is perfect out of the box and anyone that's seen it have made a remark about how good the PQ is.
The only tweaking I have done is from some recommended settings I found on Flat Panels HD - The Link follows . . . . I left Filmmaker Mode alone because most of the time I find it excellent with the content I watch. Some of the other Picture settings I tweaked with what i found on FPHD.

I’d agree I to had a kuro 600m amazing but I love the jz I did have a calibrated in hdr it’s not worth it only red and blue gain reduction but rec709 there’s endless changes and it looks incredible
As regards the motion there are differences in the way oled is as mentioned but I never noticed any until episode 4 of squid games was mentioned it’s interesting if you are using the on board apps as me and another guy on here have noticed there seems more problems than Apple TV 4K
I use the new one as I have always had issues with onboard apps and it works really well

LockStock01

I’d agree I to had a kuro 600m amazing but I love the jz I did have a calibrated in hdr it’s not worth it only red and blue gain reduction but rec709 there’s endless changes and it looks incredible
As regards the motion there are differences in the way oled is as mentioned but I never noticed any until episode 4 of squid games was mentioned it’s interesting if you are using the on board apps as me and another guy on here have noticed there seems more problems than Apple TV 4K
I use the new one as I have always had issues with onboard apps and it works really well
Out of curiosity, do you use an AV receiver? I discovered today at some point Apple removed the option to output Bitstream audio as passthrough, to allow the AV receiver to do the decoding and processing. This isn't an issue for me, as only using 3.2.1 set up taking advantage of Yamaha Cinema Front. But It will be an issue for anyone with an Av receiver and an atmos or 7.1 set up. If they decide to use an apple TV 4k, they will have to compromise on sound compared to something like an Nvidia Shield.

stephentw

I would ask you just to try this
Tv mode 3
Xbox 4K 60hz bitstream atmos 2.1 cables if that works then start changing settings
Ok so I've now got

• Xbox to TV HDMI 1 with a brand new HDMI 2.1 cable (not fake certified either).
  • TV HDMI 2 to AVR via eARC.
  • TV set to mode 2 instead of 3 on HDMI 1
  • TV set to mode 3 on HDMI 2
  • AVR HDMI set to enhanced
  • eARC enabled on the TV
  • Xbox gives all the ticks for video output except the 2 for 120hz and VRR is greyed out in video modes
  • Xbox audio set to bitstream and Atmos

I then tested in Gears 5, got Dolby Vision popup on the TV but AVR isn't displaying Atmos it just displays "Dolby Surround" and shows the active speakers as 7.1 which I don't even have. If it's being bitstreamed Atmos it would usually say Atmos. Unless this is how Dolby MAT behaves? Or maybe my AVR doesn't even support Dolby MAT. I get the same behavior in Disney+ and Netflix but interestingly they do both show Atmos which they didn't before. I tried the Dolby app and the demo clips play and I can hear the height channels but I don't get Atmos displayed still. All a bit strange.

If I use 5.1 uncompressed in the xbox settings and run the Dolby app demos I get a popup at the bottom of the screen saying I'm not running atmos and the AVR displays Dolby Digital+ and activates more channels than bitstream and Atmos enabled. I spend more time testing it to figure out whats going on but it seems strange to me. If the Xbox is direct into the AVR it displays Atmos but I lose all the video capabilities.

Out of curiosity, do you use an AV receiver? I discovered today at some point Apple removed the option to output Bitstream audio as passthrough, to allow the AV receiver to do the decoding and processing. This isn't an issue for me, as only using 3.2.1 set up taking advantage of Yamaha Cinema Front. But It will be an issue for anyone with an Av receiver and an atmos or 7.1 set up. If they decide to use an apple TV 4k, they will have to compromise on sound compared to something like an Nvidia Shield.

This is what I'm experiencing but with the Xbox I guess, I have 5.1.4.

LockStock01

Ok so I've now got

• Xbox to TV HDMI 1 with a brand new HDMI 2.1 cable (not fake certified either).
  • TV HDMI 2 to AVR via eARC.
  • TV set to mode 2 instead of 3 on HDMI 1
  • TV set to mode 3 on HDMI 2
  • AVR HDMI set to enhanced
  • eARC enabled on the TV
  • Xbox gives all the ticks for video output except the 2 for 120hz and VRR is greyed out in video modes
  • Xbox audio set to bitstream and Atmos

I then tested in Gears 5, got Dolby Vision popup on the TV but AVR isn't displaying Atmos it just displays "Dolby Surround" and shows the active speakers as 7.1 which I don't even have. If it's being bitstreamed Atmos it would usually say Atmos. Unless this is how Dolby MAT behaves? Or maybe my AVR doesn't even support Dolby MAT. I get the same behavior in Disney+ and Netflix but interestingly they do both show Atmos which they didn't before. I tried the Dolby app and the demo clips play and I can hear the height channels but I don't get Atmos displayed still. All a bit strange.

If I use 5.1 uncompressed in the xbox settings and run the Dolby app demos I get a popup at the bottom of the screen saying I'm not running atmos and the AVR displays Dolby Digital+ and activates more channels than bitstream and Atmos enabled. I spend more time testing it to figure out whats going on but it seems strange to me. If the Xbox is direct into the AVR it displays Atmos but I lose all the video capabilities.

This is what I'm experiencing but with the Xbox I guess, I have 5.1.4.
plug the xbox direct to the Av receiver, at hdmi 2.0. See what audio options you can get the av receiver to recognise. Then you have a baseline. If you can't acheive the same with your current config, it is an eArc or a TV/av receiver config issue. If you get tur same issues, thr your av receiver doesnt like the bitstream audio it's being given.

Rtings tested lots of TVs fkr tis exact issue .. Panasonicd clearly werent tested .

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

NAD launches M23 hybrid stereo power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard for $70 billion
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio joins BluOS Audio Ecosystem