Panasonic JZ1500 (TX-65JZ1500) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

Anyone experience motion judder on the JZ models?

Someone over on the JZ2000 owners thread is experiencing it having come from a plasma. I hope t be buying a JZ model soon and am also be coming from a plasma, and I'm a bit worried if motion judder is obvious in comparison.
I can't speak for the JZ range, but motion judder on my GZ is no better or worse than my previous GT30 plasma. I can easily go days or weeks without any issues but every now and again there will be a challenging scene in a movie which will cause a problem. For example - a slow panning shot with darker, vertical objects (like trees or lamposts) on a light/white background. For those scenes, often only turning IFC up to max will eliminate the judder but then the extreme SOE introduced is undesirable. I compromise by leaving IFC on min and put up with the occasional bit of judder, which is rare enough for it not to be a deal-breaker for me, personally.

Another thing that is supposed to help is BFI - I was under the impression that the flicker which makes BFI unusable on the GZ is supposed to have been improved with more recent models ?

Some people definitely seem to be more sensitive to OLED motion than others, plus the type of content and source (plus settings) may be a factor too. The best option is to demo in a store if you can and go prepared with any clips that cause problems - there may even be test clips on YouTube ? If you want an example of a particular scene that can cause motion issues, try the scene 1 hour and 2 minutes into the film '1917' and keep an eye on the dark trees when the camera pans against an almost-white background. There are others though - this was just a handy option because it was free on Prime at one time but isn't any more, unfortunately.

Did you not get an opportunity to set the language when you first set the TV up ? It's a long time since I did a factory reset on my GZ so I can't remember whether Panasonic give this option, but I've definitely come across it on other TVs and PVRs (etc)

Also - as this is a UK-based forum, the majority of owners here will have the JZ1500B - if you are based in Europe and have the 'E' model, it's possible that there may be some small differences which might explain why the menu options on your TV aren't identical to other users here :)
I live in ROI, country choise on tv choice for is only UK or Ireland, thats all.
Next problem for me is the theatrical effect most video on app YT, ATV+, Viaplay etc.
Open Intelligent Frame Creation and I try all options but theatrical effect is still there.
At the moment JZ1500 is dissapointing to me
I have 9 days left to return the tv.
JZ2000 propably the same, one more choice Sony A90J but I like Pana omg.

Last edited:
I live in ROI, country choise on tv choice for is only UK or Ireland, thats all.
Next problem for me is the theatrical effect most video on app YT, ATV+, Viaplay etc.
Open Intelligent Frame Creation and I try all options but theatrical effect is still there.
At the moment JZ1500 is dissapointing to me
I have 9 days left to return the tv.
JZ2000 propably the same, one more choice Sony A90J but I like Pana omg.
Did you try Filmmaker as picture mode?

Bit strange the 55 " JZ1000/JZ1500 power rating is 371W/373W 54.6" Panasonic TX-55JZ1000 - Power consumption

..and the HZ1000/HZ1500 power rating is 105W/105W.
Bit of a 'gas-guzzler' this new model, especially during tough energy times, but I guess the extra NITS does over 3-xfold!!
Not really it’s the high power panel from the 2000 model, although 3x is higher than I would have thought, what do the hz/jz 2000’s use?

Bit strange the 55 " JZ1000/JZ1500 power rating is 371W/373W 54.6" Panasonic TX-55JZ1000 - Power consumption

..and the HZ1000/HZ1500 power rating is 105W/105W.
Bit of a 'gas-guzzler' this new model, especially during tough energy times, but I guess the extra NITS does over 3-xfold!!
Just checked this on the website, I think you’re accidentally comparing average of the HZ with max of JZ. Max of HZ & JZ are similar 300 odd, average of HZ & JZ are similar 100 odd. So in line with each other and pro panel or not doesn’t make too much difference.

I am thinking of pushing the button and ordering the JZ1500, just one things that is making me pause...has anyone who has the JZ1500 had any issues with the EARC passthrough of Dolby Digital? I have the Sonos Beam Gen1 and my current Panny DX has a terrible ARC delay meaning I need an alternative set up to get DD from my 4k Blu-Ray player.

I am thinking of pushing the button and ordering the JZ1500, just one things that is making me pause...has anyone who has the JZ1500 had any issues with the EARC passthrough of Dolby Digital? I have the Sonos Beam Gen1 and my current Panny DX has a terrible ARC delay meaning I need an alternative set up to get DD from my 4k Blu-Ray player.
I’ve had no lip sync issues with Earc going to my Samsung soundbar with my Nvidia shield or my Panasonic uhd blu ray player. It’s mostly been Dolby Atmos films but I will try some 5.1 content tonight and see if that plays fine.

Well I’ve played loads of films via my uhd blu ray player and also on the Nvidia shield and had no problems with lip sync. I’m loving the tv and would definitely recommend it 😊

My viewing environment is brighter during the day than at night, so I have two sets of settings on my LG TV that I manually switch between. It is a PITA. These Panasonic TVs seem to have answer with the built in light sensor. What I'm confused about is which modes does the light sensor work in?

It appears that the sensor works in: Filmmaker, DV IQ and HDR10+ Adaptive modes?
It doesn't appear to work for: Netflix Calibrated mode, Game, and HLG?

I assume that the HDR10+ Adaptive mode is backwards compatible, ie it will play basic HDR10 content with the light sensor?

So I guess Netflix Calibrated mode isn't an issue as I can use filmmaker mode instead, which is almost identical but has the sensor.

So my PS5 outputs HDR10, which in theory means I can use the HDR10+ Adaptive mode, although that will introduce lag, so it's better to use the game mode, but then no sensor? What mode does ALLM choose for the PS5?

I can't see a workaround for HLG not using the light sensor though?

Or can you simply go into any mode and enable the light sensor?

Are other owners’ catch up apps working?
iplayer, itv hub, more4 and 5od have stopped working for me. All other apps are ok, (UKTV, prime, Netflix, YouTube). WiFi and internet are ok. The previews of shows available on the catch up app work ok. When selecting the app it opens the app’s loading screen, but then hangs.
I’ve tried a full Power disconnect. I’ve reset the wifi.
The catch up apps can’t be deleted and then reinstalled.
I’m loathed to do a full factory reset as that will lose my calibration.

Are other owners’ catch up apps working?
iplayer, itv hub, more4 and 5od have stopped working for me. All other apps are ok, (UKTV, prime, Netflix, YouTube). WiFi and internet are ok. The previews of shows available on the catch up app work ok. When selecting the app it opens the app’s loading screen, but then hangs.
I’ve tried a full Power disconnect. I’ve reset the wifi.
The catch up apps can’t be deleted and then reinstalled.
I’m loathed to do a full factory reset as that will lose my calibration.

As you have other internet services working it does sound like a reset may be required. Before you do that it might be worth testing using your phone's personal hotspot (over mobile) to rule out any possible issue(s) with your WiFi router/internet provider. Don't forget to switch off the WiFi connectivity on your phone to force it to use the mobile/cell data.

HB

As you have other internet services working it does sound like a reset may be required. Before you do that it might be worth testing using your phone's personal hotspot (over mobile) to rule out any possible issue(s) with your WiFi router/internet provider. Don't forget to switch off the WiFi connectivity on your phone to force it to use the mobile/cell data.

HB
I tried my phone hotspot - no problem with all other apps, but same issue with the catch up apps. I also tried google’s DNS address. Same problem. Sadly it looks like a full reset is coming. :mad:

Last edited:
Just upgraded from a 10 year old 55 Samsung d8000 to this 65 jz1500 oled . Wow what a difference ! Managed to get 15% off with 5 year warranty at Panasonic direct with BlueLightCard

I fixed the catch up app hanging problem. Cookies must be enabled.

In Setup\Data Service Application\Store cookie, must be On. Other privacy settings can be used to limit access. No cookies, no catch up. 🙄

Still can’t get Bluetooth to work.

PLEASE. I WANT A CLARIFICATION. THERE ARE SITES THAT ARE SAYING THAT ONLY THE PANASONIC JZ2000 CAN GO BRIGHTER, WITH THE HEAT SINK. SOME SITES ARE SAYING THAT THE JZ1500 IS IDENTICAL BAR THE SOUND, OTHERS ARE SAYING THAT THE JZ1500 DOES NOT GET BRIGHTER LIKE THE JZ2000. WHAT IS CORRECT PLEASE. I'M DECIDING ON BUYING ONE OF THESE. I HAVE A CINEMA SURROUND SOUND DENON 4700. SO I DO NOT NEED THE SOUND ON THE JZ2000. BUT IF THE JZ2000 IS BRIGHTER I WILL GET THAT JUST THE SAME. THANK YOU

PLEASE. I WANT A CLARIFICATION. THERE ARE SITES THAT ARE SAYING THAT ONLY THE PANASONIC JZ2000 CAN GO BRIGHTER, WITH THE HEAT SINK. SOME SITES ARE SAYING THAT THE JZ1500 IS IDENTICAL BAR THE SOUND, OTHERS ARE SAYING THAT THE JZ1500 DOES NOT GET BRIGHTER LIKE THE JZ2000. WHAT IS CORRECT PLEASE. I'M DECIDING ON BUYING ONE OF THESE. I HAVE A CINEMA SURROUND SOUND DENON 4700. BUT IF THE JZ2000 IS BRIGHTER I WILL GET THAT. THANK YOU
Ouch, don't shout!!!! :)

HI i new to this i would like to no been look at the JZ1500 and the JZ1000 still do not which one to buy

If you watch hdr the 1500 has the brighter pro panel over the 1000

PLEASE. I WANT A CLARIFICATION. THERE ARE SITES THAT ARE SAYING THAT ONLY THE PANASONIC JZ2000 CAN GO BRIGHTER, WITH THE HEAT SINK. SOME SITES ARE SAYING THAT THE JZ1500 IS IDENTICAL BAR THE SOUND, OTHERS ARE SAYING THAT THE JZ1500 DOES NOT GET BRIGHTER LIKE THE JZ2000. WHAT IS CORRECT PLEASE. I'M DECIDING ON BUYING ONE OF THESE. I HAVE A CINEMA SURROUND SOUND DENON 4700. SO I DO NOT NEED THE SOUND ON THE JZ2000. BUT IF THE JZ2000 IS BRIGHTER I WILL GET THAT JUST THE SAME. THANK YOU
From AVForums reviews / measurements :-

JZ1500 measured in at approximately 877 nits = bright panel

HZ1000 = We measured peak brightness at 652 nits = normal panel

HZ2000 = we managed to measure a peak brightness of 838 nits = bright panel

From AVForums reviews / measurements :-

JZ1500 measured in at approximately 877 nits = bright panel

HZ1000 = We measured peak brightness at 652 nits = normal panel

HZ2000 = we managed to measure a peak brightness of 838 nits = bright panel
Thank you

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel