Panasonic JZ1500 (TX-65JZ1500) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

SamAVR

Standard Member
3) The screen is very reflective and in the day, you can see reflections of you / the room, with my window say 6ft to the side of the room. Lamps, also show if they are slightly off side.

This may sound like a silly question, but do you mean when the TV is off or when it is on and you are watching it?

sometimesuk

Standard Member
This may sound like a silly question, but do you mean when the TV is off or when it is on and you are watching it?
When the TV is switched on, during the day you can see yourself / the room in the reflection....evenings
are better, but any lamps will reflect in the screen.

rjn21

Standard Member
I received the JZ1500. Compared to the Samsung QN95 I returned, it’s great - it actually works. No issues with HDMI drop outs or eARC failures. Using an external sound bar, lip sync is correct, and passes Atmos.

The screen, on unpacking, did not have any protector, just a film on the bottom edge and a plastic bag over all the tv.

The image has a lot of adjustability and I’m still fiddling. Each source/SD/HD seems to have its own settings and sources/resolutions offer different adjustment options.

No visible DSE, so I won’t be chasing test videos or slides to find some.

All UK catch up apps are present as are Prime, Netflix and Disney.

I’m only missing a native Apple TV app (so, I’m using a PS5 for that) and AirPlay.

I can’t get my iPhone to connect (or be discovered, or even seen by the tv) by Bluetooth.

The screen suffers from excessive reflections even in a darkened room.

Panasonic have a 5 year extended manufacturer warranty promotion available. It requires registration and only applies to purchases from certain retailers (notably not John Lewis, Currys or (I think) Richer Sounds.) JL offer their own 5 yr and Richer Sounds a 6 yr.

The stand height is 7mm as was asked previously.

My sound bar slightly covers the bottom of the tv, when it’s placed in front of the tv. It doesn’t bother me.

Last edited:

MEGATAMA

I received the JZ1500. Compared to the Samsung QN95 I returned, it’s great - it actually works. No issues with HDMI drop outs or eARC failures. Using an external sound bar, lip sync is correct, and passes Atmos.

The screen, on unpacking, did not have any protector, just a film on the bottom edge and a plastic bag over all the tv.

The image has a lot of adjustability and I’m still fiddling. Each source/SD/HD seems to have its own settings and sources/resolutions offer different adjustment options.

No visible DSE, so I won’t be chasing test videos or slides to find some.

All UK catch up apps are present as are Prime, Netflix and Disney.

I’m only missing a native Apple TV app (so, I’m using use a PS5 for that) and AirPlay.

I can’t get my iPhone to connect (or be discovered, or even seen by the tv) by Bluetooth.

Panasonic have a 5 year extended manufacturer warranty promotion available. It requires registration and only applies to purchases from certain retailers (notably not John Lewis, Currys or (I think) Richer Sounds.) JL offer their own 5 yr and Richer Sounds a 6 yr.

The stand height is 7mm as was asked previously.

My sound bar slightly covers the bottom of the tv, when it’s placed in front of the tv. It doesn’t bother me.
Is this normal that screen dont have protector?
This is new tv or demo from store?

Hi, I had the 65inch version delivered last Friday, I'm coming from a £400, 40 inch LCD TV, although I used to have a panasonic plasma about 5 years ago....a few general observation

1) From memory, where I'd describe the plasma as having an natural, organic, fluid picture quality, I'd say the oled is just a natural but colours have a more solid, pin sharp quality to them.
1A) Picture quality for normal HD TV is fine and doesnt look stretched / pixilated as you might imagine
2) For normal TV viewing 65 inches just feels OTT, but its great for movies, its like having a proper cinema screen in the house.
3) The screen is very reflective and in the day, you can see reflections of you / the room, with my window say 6ft to the side of the room. Lamps, also show if they are slightly off side.
4) You have to change the picture mode, for each source / app. For disney+ this automatically switched to one of the Dolby vision options, picture is very good, I leave on Dolby IQ tbh. You cant change to a non Dolby option.
5) Netflix I've left in the Netflix mode, I briefly switched to Filmmaker mode but couldnt see any dramatic difference, so though I'd leave it in Netflix mode.
6) When watching Downton abbey, in some scenes in low light, the black costumes appear to be solid black with no details, where in others the detail in the blacks in good. I'm not sure if this is the recording, bitrate or the TV. I've tried experimenting switching the gamma to 1.8, this does have the effect of brightening the picture but at the same time completely changes the picture balance and doesnt add any extra detail / hightlights to black levels, so left it to default.

I have a few questions if anyone could help...
1) I generally leave the ambient sensor on, but I can still adjust the screens luminance and toggle the sensor on and off, it doesnt seem to make a difference....The luminance was originally set at 30, but I found that the colours / picture to be too muted, so I increased this to 50, which seems to be okay, I might decrease this to slightly.

Generally, I'm very happy with the TV. I bought it for its natural picture quality and out of the box accuracy, as I don't think you should have to pay for a TV to be calibrated at the price level IMO.
great post, 100% agree...I received my JZ1500 65" yesterday, great product but you're right about what's missing/wrong with this otherwise perfect TV:

• too much reflection, this screen is a mirror! You need, almost as videoprojetor, a dark room to enjoy it
  • not so bright to watch tv during a day, also with curtains closes
  • missing a lot apple+ and airplay, I'll need to buy a new apple tv just for 1 app!
  • near black appear solid black, most of all people with black hairs...no details in between, just black...maybe it's streaming service faults, watching Squid Game on netflix I could find several frames and scenes with "solid black" zones in the frame, I'm sure on my Kuro plasma and Samsung LCD could be showed better those areas
  • color balance is wonderful, 60fps videos awesome...but on standard HD video my Kuro 5090 it's more natural and fluid, JZ1500 struggle with some artificial "lcd style" panning...

but in the end I believe it's maybe the best all around TV of this year

dotnotbot

• near black appear solid black, most of all people with black hairs...no details in between, just black...maybe it's streaming service faults, watching Squid Game on netflix I could find several frames and scenes with "solid black" zones in the frame, I'm sure on my Kuro plasma and Samsung LCD could be showed better those areas
Did you try watching in a pitch black room? You really need near perfect conditions to appreciate near-black details on Panasonic OLEDs. It's different from Sony OLEDs or plasmas which would be overbrightened near-black vs reference.

Did you try watching in a pitch black room? You really need near perfect conditions to appreciate near-black details on Panasonic OLEDs. It's different from Sony OLEDs or plasmas which would be overbrightened near-black vs reference.
I'm afraid that THIS is the problem: we don't live in a pitch black room :)
The screen glass has lots of reflection, so when there is a frame with big black zone you will notice some reflections 100% losing details...unless you turn off every lights or watch tv only in the middle of the night :D

HMHB

Distinguished Member
My telly is in a room with a large South facing window about 6 feet to the right of it so I’d have no chance it would seem. I do quite often have to shut the blinds with my current plasma

Spacemen3

Amazing! Did you try the native Netflix app with Netflix Calibrated TV mode?

Maybe you also have the chance of having a device like Sky stick etc and having 50hz material to check.
I guess mkv etc files in 1080 or 4K via DLNA or Plex in 24p will also be smooth.
I tried the Netflix calibrated mode and didn’t notice much difference. Maybe slightly darker but I’ve just kept it on normal mode.
I’ve Sky Q that is 50fps and had no problems watching that so far.
24fps films on blu ray/uhd look smooth as well so very happy and glad I got it.

markush

How is the white screen uniformity with you that have the 65 inch version?
It’s really absolutely great.
So far the only thing I am investigating is that in darker scenes black details are a bit lost - things are mostly black. Will check with various picture settings

It’s really absolutely great.
So far the only thing I am investigating is that in darker scenes black details are a bit lost - things are mostly black. Will check with various picture settings
Agree, maybe it’s because tv is brand new? Btw let us know how to improve darker scenes, Squid Game ok Netflix 4K looks stunning except a lot of darker scenes with solid black and no details…

james03

Was a Panasonic owner for years, only have one left in the house and when that’s gone I’ll replace it with LG. I had. 55in lcd a few years ago that is now in the garage, screen developed vertical lines and now completely black. Lasted just past its 5th birthday, out of spite so I couldn’t use the warranty. Their operating system was brilliant though, way ahead of Sony’s at the time but LG now seems way ahead. Still frustrated that they can’t seem to get a deal done to put Disney on their apps. Short and to the point I’ll never buy one again.

stephentw

Was a Panasonic owner for years, only have one left in the house and when that’s gone I’ll replace it with LG. I had. 55in lcd a few years ago that is now in the garage, screen developed vertical lines and now completely black. Lasted just past its 5th birthday, out of spite so I couldn’t use the warranty. Their operating system was brilliant though, way ahead of Sony’s at the time but LG now seems way ahead. Still frustrated that they can’t seem to get a deal done to put Disney on their apps. Short and to the point I’ll never buy one again.
But disney plus is on their apps now.

thx75

A JZ1500/2000 wins hands down against a Kuro in every aspects about picture quality, near black handling included.
I actually wonder how somebody could still argue about it. :rolleyes:

stephentw

I think it's the motion us plasma hangers on worry about. I'm going to demo one to see it in person. Hoping to go oled with the latest models.

yes, in the end we'are speaking about "motion"...and cinema IS motion, that's why is something so special in Plasma Kuro. Oled need a lot of frame interpolation and motion filter to hide a basic true: they cannot handle very well camera panning and fast scenes when video is "just" 24fps...plasma tv still feel more natural, fluid, pleasant to our eyes, everything else of course it's better on OLED tv, but MOTION is something huge when we talk about "cinema"

thx75

Motion on plasma? During motion the following things happen: false contouring, double edging, gradients bit depth decrease. Considering pro and cons of oleds and plasma about motion, I go for oleds every day.

P Adams

Loved our THX calibrated Pioneer Kuro LX5090 for 10 years but going to a Panny 65FZ802B has been superb for three years now. The LG 65E7V OLED had terrible motion but the Panasonic is so much better and looks very natural to both of us with minimal tweaking. And I’m very picky being a designer for over 30 years. As I said before, I don’t think my wife will let me change the FZ to a JZ1500/2000 at the moment though!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li