Panasonic JZ1500 has no HDR10+ support on the Prime now app....??

JKOL09

So I recently purchased my brand new Panasonic JZ1500, one of the reasons I picked a Panasonic OLED over an LG OLED was for the HDR10+ support which I was planning to use with the native Amazon prime now app. However, so far I've seen no evidence to confirm it is in fact playing HDR10+ dynamic meta data, and not just regular static HDR10. Can anyone with a JZ model confirm whether this is a universal experience or known issue with the native app? As I would be really disappointed to find out it doesn't support it all in that particular native application.

teeveedee

AFAIK that's a quirk of the native Prime app on most, if not all, Panasonic TVs - it never flags HDR10+. The only time I've seen the HDR10+ flag appear is when playing such content via an HDMI connected source. The 4K BluRay of Alien for example, triggers the little colourful HDR10+ flag to pop up on-screen.

dion 6

I've a GZ950 but the tvs Amazon Prime app never flags up HDR10+ but if you use a 4k firestick connected to one of the HDMI ports you get a nice colourful HDR10+ logo I'm presuming it's playing in HDR10+ but I've got no evidence to prove it. I use the firestick for amazon anyway because the tvs app doesn't support atmos

JKOL09

AFAIK that's a quirk of the native Prime app on most, if not all, Panasonic TVs - it never flags HDR10+. The only time I've seen the HDR10+ flag appear is when playing such content via an HDMI connected source. The 4K BluRay of Alien for example, triggers the little colourful HDR10+ flag to pop up on-screen.
So surely if it never flags it as HDR10+ then it must just be displaying regular static HDR10? Unless I'm misunderstanding and it is displaying it but not letting the user know...?

Last edited:

JKOL09

Damn so I gotta spend £50.00 on a stick because they didn't bother to fix the app, that sucks.. :(

teeveedee

So surely if it never flags it as HDR10+ then it must just be displaying regular static HDR10? Unless I'm misunderstanding and it is displaying it but not letting the user know...?
It apparently is showing HDR10+, you just don’t get the on-screen flag. In the same way that the Disney+ app doesn’t trigger the on-screen Dolby Vision flag.

JKOL09

Check out the first answer on this forum post:
HDR10+ signal on Panny TVs from Amazon

Basically, play something on the Prime app that should have HDR10+ and check the picture settings. If Dynamic HDR Effect is greyed out then it is playing HDR10+.
Hmm.... 🤔 Well the native prime app definitely is not passing the Dolby atmos correctly on Dolby atmos confirmed shows and movies that I can be certain because my soundbar also flashes up the atmos logo light if it detects an atmos signal. Which it isn't... 😐

NicolasT

I have the same TV, and....the same issue !
For example with Bumblebee movie, it's marked as HDR, but is not played in HDR.
when the movie is starting, the TV swap to true cinema, but he still in SDR mode, and luminosity still to 30, and color space is REC709 ! So definitivly no HDR !

Same with Battleship or Pacific Rim movies.

But, The protégé for example, or Hanna, picture settings are 100 for luminosity, HDR next Picture in menu, picture mode is always true cinema, and color space is REC2020, okay, this is HDR content !

I don't know why Amazon mark some content as HDR but there is SDR in fact !

I did the same test, with the same result with Amazon app on my Apple TV...

teeveedee

I have the same TV, and....the same issue !
For example with Bumblebee movie, it's marked as HDR, but is not played in HDR.
when the movie is starting, the TV swap to true cinema, but he still in SDR mode, and luminosity still to 30, and color space is REC709 ! So definitivly no HDR !

Same with Battleship or Pacific Rim movies.

But, The protégé for example, or Hanna, picture settings are 100 for luminosity, HDR next Picture in menu, picture mode is always true cinema, and color space is REC2020, okay, this is HDR content !

I don't know why Amazon mark some content as HDR but there is SDR in fact !

I did the same test, with the same result with Amazon app on my Apple TV...
Where are you seeing Bumblebee as being marked as HDR? It's only available in SDR in SD & HD on all my Prime apps on various devices.
Battleship is available in UHD SDR, not HDR
Pacific Rim is only in HD SDR
Pacific Rim Uprising is in UHD SDR, not HDR

The Protege and Hanna are both marked as UHD HDR and play in UHD HDR.

NicolasT

Where are you seeing Bumblebee as being marked as HDR? It's only available in SDR in SD & HD on all my Prime apps on various devices.
Battleship is available in UHD SDR, not HDR
Pacific Rim is only in HD SDR
Pacific Rim Uprising is in UHD SDR, not HDR

The Protege and Hanna are both marked as UHD HDR and play in UHD HDR.
IMG_20220104_121908.jpg
IMG_20220104_121925.jpg
IMG_20220104_121941.jpg

NicolasT

Interesting. The UK versions of the Prime app don't give those options. Must be different licensing in France (I see from your biog that you are there) but your Prime app is only playing the same non-HDR streams that we're getting in the UK.
Might be worth dropping Amazon a message and letting them know that.
Yes, I totally agree

Masher

Standard Member
Found this on trusted reviews regards Amazon Prime - so seems an Amazon issue not Panasonic??
So in order to find HDR titles you’ll need to search through the vast amount on offer. In a weird quirk of signposting, HDR10 can also be tagged as HDR10+ content as the app does not differentiate between the two.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom