Panasonic JZ1500 First Thoughts & Building a Home Cinema: The Basics (11th August 2021)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week Phil gives us his initial thoughts on the 65-inch Panasonic JZ1500 OLED TV which has just arrived for review this week. This is the Custom Pro OLED panel usually found in the flagship JZ2000, but in a chassis without the Technics tuned Dolby Atmos speakers. Something AVForums members have been asking for. Plus, we look at the definition of a home cinema and discuss the various routes to building your own dedicated cinema room.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers and Ed Selley

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:27 - Welcome
00:05:45 - Competitions
00:09:00 - Q&A
00:12:30 - Panasonic JZ1500 OLED TV First Thoughts
00:25:00 - Building a Home Cinema: The Basics
00:47:20 - Album of the week
00:50:34 - Best new 4K Blu-ray discs
00:57:18 - Podcast competition
00:57:58 - Q&A

These links will be live following the live stream on Wednesday

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:

FergieB

I definitely appreciate all the contributors to avforums and their great content but I’m sad we’ll only have Phil, Steve and Ed on much reduced frequency and length of podcasts.

I understand people have other work and other lives of course but I will certainly miss the lads when they’re not around.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
I definitely appreciate all the contributors to avforums and their great content but I’m sad we’ll only have Phil, Steve and Ed on much reduced frequency and length of podcasts.

I understand people have other work and other lives of course but I will certainly miss the lads when they’re not around.
And these 60min podcasts only last for a days commute!

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Frequency is the same - weekly. We just alternate between the hardware guys and the movies guys.
Which gives us time to focus on tutorial type topics to help people. This week being home cinema basics.

micks_address

hi folks love the podcasts. Just curious - any update on the sony a90j review that was mentioned in one about 6 weeks ago? I figured the review would be following week but its not on the site?

Fasen

JZ1500 looks interesting, shame about the stand though... Looks.... not right...

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
hi folks love the podcasts. Just curious - any update on the sony a90j review that was mentioned in one about 6 weeks ago? I figured the review would be following week but its not on the site?
Yeah, I was waiting for the JZ1500 to turn up as it competes with the A90J, so I could do side by side testing. The Sony review will be next week.

Fasen

The stand is the only real negative I can find so far with the JZ1500, IMHO.
Yeah, and that can be fixed, be it wallmount or a vesa stand.

micks_address

Love the chat about home cinema. I have a home cinema (hybrid?) but it also doubles up as a work space and games room.. also a tv in there.. and turntable.. house to small to have one room just for movies.. it works quite well though. Benq projector which still manages to wow any new visitors to the house..

micks_address

JZ1500 looks interesting, shame about the stand though... Looks.... not right...
i wouldnt be too worried about the stand... you can get stands which attach to the Vesa mounts if you want a different look and not wall mounting. I definitely like the idea of a tv with lets say standard spec sound but the best quality screen as i nearly always run separate sound anyway so paying more for onboard fancy sound is pointless in my case. That said im enjoying my a90j so i won't be looking at the panny any time soon or i will also be looking for a new wife

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
i wouldnt be too worried about the stand... you can get stands which attach to the Vesa mounts if you want a different look and not wall mounting. I definitely like the idea of a tv with lets say standard spec sound but the best quality screen as i nearly always run separate sound anyway so paying more for onboard fancy sound is pointless in my case. That said im enjoying my a90j so i won't be looking at the panny any time soon or i will also be looking for a new wife
As said in the podcast, I hope people buy this. While I’m very happy with my HZ1500 with extra sound but not the best panel the price was too good to ignore.

If this was around when I needed the new TV it’d be my perfect choice. It really is the new Kuro of the OLED world, well ok not quite. I’m sure people would love pay a bit less and have it completely speaker free.

Jessica Noir

I second Steve on the incredible work Blue Underground have been doing on their 4K releases. Since going digital for more mainstream stuff, they are one of the few companies that have made me keep a hat in the 4K disc ring.

Attachments

• 87F23B5E-81B8-401C-8FC8-800A161C947E.jpeg
    87F23B5E-81B8-401C-8FC8-800A161C947E.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 68

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I liked the discussion on home Cinema building and what's important. Im glad you laboured light control and managing light levels. The is one area where most or at least a lot still believe this more icing on the cake for enthusiasts than fundamental to getting a good (or even acceptable) image on a projected screen.

djcla

Distinguished Member

I preferred the longer all in one format where we got to hear about AV, TV Shows and films weekly. Now we will only get AV hardware chat twice a month :(.

generalgizmo

As said in the podcast, I hope people buy this. While I’m very happy with my HZ1500 with extra sound but not the best panel the price was too good to ignore.

If this was around when I needed the new TV it’d be my perfect choice. It really is the new Kuro of the OLED world, well ok not quite. I’m sure people would love pay a bit less and have it completely speaker free.

What do you not like about the hz1500..?? As this is a TV I'm thinking of getting in a 65" and be very interested in your thoughts.. currently have a 55inch ez952 in my den..

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
What do you not like about the hz1500..?? As this is a TV I'm thinking of getting in a 65" and be very interested in your thoughts.. currently have a 55inch ez952 in my den..
Very little. The Viera HDMI link/ARC to my Atmos soundbar is infuriating A*……hence the desire to have the better panel without the built in soundbar. At the time the top model (HZ2000) was too expensive. Like £600 more I think. The issue is specific to me really and my set-up but the LG worked fine.

Other than that it’s flipping excellent

generalgizmo

Very little. The Viera HDMI link/ARC to my Atmos soundbar is infuriating A*……hence the desire to have the better panel without the built in soundbar. At the time the top model (HZ2000) was too expensive. Like £600 more I think. The issue is specific to me really and my set-up but the LG worked fine.

Other than that it’s flipping excellent
That's awesome.... I just need a panel basically as have the surround setup in the room and only watch films or listen to music.. 15% youtube, prime or Netflix the rest is bluray 4khdr or 1080p... I was thinking of waiting for the jz1500 but alas more money and I only go in there a few times a week at most.. are the 2000 panels alot brighter than the hz1500/ 1000..??
Thanks again..

fathergll

The stand is the only real negative I can find so far with the JZ1500, IMHO.

From what I read the power supply in the JZ2000 is bigger(because of upgraded audio). There has been some chatter on here that a Panasonic rep told some folks the bigger power supply has some benefit to the brightness for the JZ2000 compared to the JZ1500. Have you heard anything about this?

MEGATAMA

55inch JZW 2004 in Germany is 3000eu and i paid LG G1 1400eu 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I like Panasonic but with this prices they will sell zero TVs.
Cant find price for jzw 1500 model...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar