Panasonic JZ OLED Series Owners Thread

Well then again most owners always say there is no problem. I remember i asked owners in the AF9 and AG9 thread if near black flashing/gradiation was an issue when Vincent Teoh mentioned it in his reviews, they all said no. I tried both and they had near black issues.
Possibly because if there was a problem the TV would have been returned within the 30 day return period. So the owners left don't have a problem...:cool:

Well then again most owners always say there is no problem. I remember i asked owners in the AF9 and AG9 thread if near black flashing/gradiation was an issue when Vincent Teoh mentioned it in his reviews, they all said no. I tried both and they had near black issues.
Depends what you define as "most owners". If you mean the typical Joe Bloggs, I can understand. I'm not most owners though as I'm rather picky about most things I purchase in fairness.

Possibly because if there was a problem the TV would have been returned within the 30 day return period. So the owners left don't have a problem...:cool:

Yeah but people in general just get very defensive about what they buy. Considering the review here, then Vincent Teoh then now another few have mentioned the gradiation issues in dark scenes and how it's a step back compared to previous years it's a big worry for me. I now just did realise this isnt the review thread though so apologize for making these posts here.

There’s no point debating it any further on here then - go and view the set yourself in a decent store (preferably taking some familiar test stuff) and make your own mind up. You can also compare against other OLEDs, QLEDs, LEDs etc. and make a balanced judgement.

Let us know how you get on? :thumbsup:

HB

One of the potential issues here, about putting it out to a general vote, is that some people are more knowledgeable about these terms than others. For example, issues with gradations or macro blocking may only be visible in very particular circumstances and scenes. Unless the person knows exactly what is being referred to, and when it is likely to occur, and what the effect will be - then casual watching could result in a "My TV is fine" vote.

Additionally, some people just don't perceive these things. I remember well, back in the day, a particular Sampo DVD player which exhibited macro blocking in abundance - I could see it on nearly every scene. Yet many other people viewing in the room couldn't see what we were talking about.

Meaning two points: firstly you should only get worried if others are reporting effects you already know you are sensitive to and you fully understand the context. Or secondly, if you have no idea what people are talking about - be that the jargon or the effect or the context - then probability is relatively high you won't notice it.

In any event, it's a trade-off of what you are willing to accept - given none of these displays are perfect.

Last edited:
I literally sat in a dark demo room for nearly 5 hours with a JZ1500 and a pile of "problem" UHD's, Interstellar, The Martian, The Revenant etc. I'm not going to tell you I didn't see the things mentioned in reviews, I did but I had to go looking for them, rewind, pause, play again etc. I watched Vincents torture test for judder in Wall E, I watched Netflix content, Disney+ content etc. At the end I walked out of the demo room and bought a TV.

I'm not here to defend problems but what I saw at my demo, to me the good far outweighed the bad. I had to really go looking for the bad and the good was inescapable.

Demo the TV if you're worried, no level of discussion here will help you make up your mind on issues like these, you need to see it in person and decide how good/bad you think it is. It's a lot of money.

In any event, it's a trade-off of what you are willing to accept - given none of these displays are perfect.

Exactly this. I don’t think anyone here has said that this is the perfect TV; it isn’t. What people are simply trying to say is the issues are minor and the overall quality of the picture wins the day. However, if you are someone who looks for flaws and then obsesses over them once found, no TV is ever going please you. Compromise and be happy.

I'm not here to defend problems but what I saw at my demo, to me the good far outweighed the bad. I had to really go looking for the bad and the good was inescapable.

Out of interest and to add, why did you also end up discounting the other Sony, LG and Phillips OLEDs?

HB

Well I received my JZ1500 today and so far I'm pleased with it. I was wondering if there were picture settings that generally pleases everyone.

John

Well I received my JZ1500 today and so far I'm pleased with it. I was wondering if there were picture settings that generally pleases everyone.

John
Filmmaker mode and turn the ambient light sensor off for SD and HDR

Whilst no one configuration will please everyone, this video shows a very good starting point - similar to the replies above.

Hello everyone.

I own a jz980 for a few days now and i am facing some issues.

Picture quality is excellent ( to my mind), but i can see stuttering in every case. Even my old samsung fhd bought in 2012 is better aboit motion handling.

I'm playing different files from my nvidia Shield, with good settings in spmc, but i cn't manage to have a smooth movie. In 1080p or 2160p, h264 or h265, slow travelling are very good but, but since there is some quick motion, i've got a lot of stuttering ( intelligent frame creation set to off or to minimum) or a lot of artefact in the picture when this setting is set above minimum.

I enabled resolution and framerate synchro when playing a file of course ( as with my previous tv).

I changed my hdmi cable for a 48gbps approved one... I plugged directly my shield to the tv, bypassing ma AV receiver thinking he might cause some problem but nothing changed.

I ran in every (every) settings of my shield, avr, or tv, and can't find something good about this ugly motion handling.

Please help me i'm lost, especially when everyone's telling that this tv is ultra smooth 😒

I forgot to mention that

the TV is under the last update ( the one which enable full 4k 120hz i forgot the ref)
All the movies ( almost 50) were running correctly with my older tv withoit noticeable stuttering
I tried all the hdmi inputs
I ran a nintendo switch too, and stuttering is really annoying too.

My last thought is that it may be the cheap hdmi cable i use but it's the same than before 🤷

If i don't find any solution i'm really thinking about selling it 😒

Try powering down everything (TV and anything else in the signal chain) completely from the wall power sockets for a few minutes. If the same:

1. What are Freeview and the internal apps (BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Disney+ etc.) like?

2. What is the HDMI cable that you are using? Can you try another to rule out compatibility issues?

3. Factory reset.

If still no joy I’d be contacting my retailer to arrange return.

HB

John
Tend to be using Professional 1 in day time for normal tv & some films but at night watching films its filmmaker mode, let the TV take over when I put the Series X on ..... regards crushed Black's I see the odd bit on YouTube but as someone else has said on here I put that down to the equipment the YouTuber uses. I've started watching Game of Thrones again from series 1 & watching is on Blu ray, 6 episodes in & cab honestly say I've seen no crushed blacks & it's been very dark at times, can say I'm not really looking for it, but nothing bad has raised its head so far.

Hello everyone.

I own a jz980 for a few days now and i am facing some issues.

Picture quality is excellent ( to my mind), but i can see stuttering in every case. Even my old samsung fhd bought in 2012 is better aboit motion handling.

I'm playing different files from my nvidia Shield, with good settings in spmc, but i cn't manage to have a smooth movie. In 1080p or 2160p, h264 or h265, slow travelling are very good but, but since there is some quick motion, i've got a lot of stuttering ( intelligent frame creation set to off or to minimum) or a lot of artefact in the picture when this setting is set above minimum.

I enabled resolution and framerate synchro when playing a file of course ( as with my previous tv).

I changed my hdmi cable for a 48gbps approved one... I plugged directly my shield to the tv, bypassing ma AV receiver thinking he might cause some problem but nothing changed.

I ran in every (every) settings of my shield, avr, or tv, and can't find something good about this ugly motion handling.

Please help me i'm lost, especially when everyone's telling that this tv is ultra smooth 😒
For the Shield is it possibly an issue of mismatched framerates? It doesn't do auto framerate matching yet. Have you tested the same films with a dedicated blu ray player?

Out of interest and to add, why did you also end up discounting the other Sony, LG and Phillips OLEDs?
LG can't pass through DTS so was a non starter. The comparable Sony (A90J) was way more expensive than I was willing to go (there might have been something else too but I don't remember now). The Philips, honestly I didn't even consider, all my research prior to demo was on Sony, LG and Panasonic and I didn't know too much about the Philips until after I'd bought the JZ1500, there wasn't much out in the way of reviews of them until November. My demo was purely to convince me that the "problems" reported by reviews on the Panasonics were minor gripes not major issues, which to me they were. My jaw dropped when I started playing 4K HDR blu rays on it. I went hunting for all these issues but they were so minor to me that I was scratching my head wondering why there's so much noise about them online. I put it down to the echo chamber, everyone repeating what they've read/heard in reviews but not checking if there's an actual issue in person.

Has anyone got a clue how to set the remote to use IR? I need to program a couple of buttons with IR but it's not outputting any IR signal.

I think it uses bluetooth by default (or some other wireless communication) maybe.

Hello friends,

I am a new account and also a brand new owner of a Panasonic JZ1000 65" TV (NZ).
I have a few questions regarding this tv and I was hoping for some feedback from you all.

1. I bought this tv for $3000NZD equates to about 1,494.57 Pound sterling, Is this a good price?

2. I watch some local tv content paired with netflix hdr/atmos content movies and tv shows. Absolutely loving the HDR capability of this tv.
How should I be calibrating the tv? as I would like to hear all your opinions!

(I understand the standard go to is filmmaker mode according to HDTV test but the people that promote that mode sponsored the video so there is a bit of a conflict of interest there.)

3. When playing a file from my PC's media server by clicking on the "devices" function on the tv, some audio from MKV files are not supported by the tv. The video plays just fine but some audio from MKV files doesnt play well with the TV. Any fixes?

4. Is the LAN port on this tv gigabit enabled? or is it only a 100mpbs port?

Im very new to OLED and sorry for all these questions. Im a proper noob.

1. Seems a good price. Best I can do is £1329.99 for this model and that's with some discount codes.

2. Entirely up to you really. Obviously can watch videos read guides etc, but I always say your eyes are the best. I have the JZ1500 and tend to just leave it on Netflix mode for Netflix, then film maker mode for anything else HDR related. Dolby Vision dark for DV content. SDR content I use professional 1 in the day time and professional 2 at night-time.

3. Sounds like you are playing sound through the TV speakers. Unfortunately DTS isn't supported so guessing those videos are using DTS soundtracks. DTS passthrough works but you need external speakers or soundbar for this.

4. Not sure. Probably 100 as a guess :p

1. Seems a good price. Best I can do is £1329.99 for this model and that's with some discount codes.

2. Entirely up to you really. Obviously can watch videos read guides etc, but I always say your eyes are the best. I have the JZ1500 and tend to just leave it on Netflix mode for Netflix, then film maker mode for anything else HDR related. Dolby Vision dark for DV content. SDR content I use professional 1 in the day time and professional 2 at night-time.

3. Sounds like you are playing sound through the TV speakers. Unfortunately DTS isn't supported so guessing those videos are using DTS soundtracks. DTS passthrough works but you need external speakers or soundbar for this.

4. Not sure. Probably 100 as a guess :p

Thanks for the feedback on picture made.

And you make a good point on the TV speakers not being able to play the sound as my soundbar is still on order.

Im getting the Samsung Q950A, I assume that a high end soundbar would be able to play most sound codecs.

Thanks for the feedback on picture made.

And you make a good point on the TV speakers not being able to play the sound as my soundbar is still on order.

Im getting the Samsung Q950A, I assume that a high end soundbar would be able to play most sound codecs.
Yeah that soundbar can play everything, but it will also work if you plug it into the earc on the TV and want to use the HDMI ports that way. Just set it to passthrough as the TV can do all the codecs on passthrough, just can't do DTS internally.

Yeah that soundbar can play everything, but it will also work if you plug it into the earc on the TV and want to use the HDMI ports that way. Just set it to passthrough as the TV can do all the codecs on passthrough, just can't do DTS internally.
I see. That is good information.

I was thinking of going for a Nvidia shield pro just to play my content through the VLC app on it but the tv seems to play literally everything through its own by detecting my Windows Media Player Server. Im glad i made this purchase.

It also detects all HDR, HDR10+ Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos from my local server. That is crazy good. This kinda makes the Nvidia Shield Pro unnecessary.

I did away with my Nvidia shield and went with a Zidoo Z9X. Prefer how it handles Dolby vision and just seems to pop more than the shield did. As the TV apps are super responsive and the upscaling is good, I also didn't need the streaming side from the shield anymore and the Zidoo was better option for playing my rips.

Attachments

• 20220111_161623.JPG
    20220111_161623.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 88

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom