Panasonic JZ OLED Series Owners Thread

Is that 2699 then the 100 JL voucher back? Or 2599 then then 100 voucher?
It was bought at £2800 but next morning the price had dropped to £2600 which they honoured. I still have to claim the ecard £100

Maybe we're talking different models and sizes then. The 65" JZ1500 went 2899 to 2699 and I price marched it to 2599, got the mail yesterday.

Maybe we're talking different models and sizes then. The 65" JZ1500 went 2899 to 2699 and I price marched it to 2599, got the mail yesterday.
I made an error when I posted and you are correct. My £200 refund is based on £2899 to £2699 not £2800 to £2600. Main thing is I'm over the moon regarding its image quality.

Have started a new thread for owners of a non-2000 JZ series.
Happy for a mod to delete it if not appropriate.

I'm coming from a 55GZ950, as a warranty replacement.

Some very early thoughts on the 55JZ1000:
I quite like the remote even though its quite big. Simple and functional.
I'm happy with the stand, but in my case it's completely hidden by my sound bar anyway. It's heavy and solid.
The set up was very easy and very fast.
My homescreen 6 seems to be a bit more modern than previous iterations, and so far has been very stable, and is extremely fast.
Having Google assistant and alexa built in could be handy in some situations.
Additional picture modes don't really add anything for me. Filmmaker mode looks like pro2 with minor differences in other settings.
The TV seems fairly deep, so not sure how it would look hanging on a wall. Might be fine. It's fine for me sitting on a cabinet.
I'm probably imagining it, but the TV seems even slightly quicker and brighter than the GZ, but I assume it isn't.
I don't have a game console attached so can't test some of the new 2.1 features.
I can't see any lip sync issues from any input source, be it Sky Q, 4k bluray player, fire stick etc, with my Panasonic soundbar. eARC seems fine working with my ARC only soundbar.
Internal sound seemed fairly decent for a TV. I would think most people would have an external system though.
The TV deserves high quality content. SD looks ok, HD is good to really impressive depending on source/compression. Things like 7 worlds from 4k bluray with DV are totally stunning. OOTB colours looks very impressive and natural.
Couldn't see any banding or tinting on sample grey slides. Looks like a very good panel, and no dead pixels spotted so far.
All motion that I can see in sports, movies etc looks butter smooth. But everyone should ideally check for themselves. I have IFC off for everything, but some will prefer some level of smoothing.

I'm really struggling to find any weaknesses with this TV. Maybe some apps aren't supported and not all hdmi ports have all the 2.1 features, but for most people I think you'd be hard pushed to better something than this series.

All just my non professional opinions though.
The practical problem I have is that I cannot get sound from the TV's Netflix app to play on my Anthem MRX520 AVR. I have checked TV and AVR settings. This sound will only play using the TV internal speakers. If I'm watching Virgin Media channels then its sound plays through the AVR.
  • I have an Ultra HDMI cable connected to the TV's HDMI2 which has eARC and is set to on.
  • The Anthem is using HDMI1.
Surprising is that if in the MRX 520 input 1 which I have named 'TV/Netflix' I go to settings/input/TV Netflix/ Audio I and select HDMI ARC, that setting then removes Input video HDMI and replaces it with none! There is then no TV picture.
I have contacted Anthem and await their reply but any advice from here would be welcomed.
In summary have any of you got the Netflix app or even Freeview to play to a AVR?
UPDATE!! I have just opened Netflix from Virgin, that is not via the Panasonic Netflix app. The Netflix sound is now Dolby D+ through my AVR. Why would this work but not through the Panasonic app which is already showing the picture?

Last edited:
I have ordered a 65JZ1000, and also opted for a 180$ calibration. The tv is not due untill mid November, so I was wondering if I should cancel the calibration. Have read that Panasonic is quite accurate out of the box. What do you think? Is the calibration worth it?

I recently bought a 65jz1500 and, as an aside, I do calibrate my desktop monitor with a Datacolor Spyder colorimeter for Photoshop work, but I have no problems in accepting the out-of-box calibration of my new TV.
So far I have been viewing with 'normal' profiles but will be checking out the other presets with more Netflix 4K Dolby Vision or HDR viewing.

The practical problem I have is that I cannot get sound from the TV's Netflix app to play on my Anthem MRX520 AVR. I have checked TV and AVR settings. This sound will only play using the TV internal speakers. If I'm watching Virgin Media channels then its sound plays through the AVR.
  • I have an Ultra HDMI cable connected to the TV's HDMI2 which has eARC and is set to on.
  • The Anthem is using HDMI1.
Surprising is that if in the MRX 520 input 1 which I have named 'TV/Netflix' I go to settings/input/TV Netflix/ Audio I and select HDMI ARC, that setting then removes Input video HDMI and replaces it with none! There is then no TV picture.
I have contacted Anthem and await their reply but any advice from here would be welcomed.
In summary have any of you got the Netflix app or even Freeview to play to a AVR?
UPDATE!! I have just opened Netflix from Virgin, that is not via the Panasonic Netflix app. The Netflix sound is now Dolby D+ through my AVR. Why would this work but not through the Panasonic app which is already showing the picture?
I don't know I'm afraid. My JZ has only ever been connected to a soundbar. But I can confirm I get the same correct sound from Netflix from the TV app, fire stick and sky q box.
I hope you find a solution

I recently bought a 65jz1500 and, as an aside, I do calibrate my desktop monitor with a Datacolor Spyder colorimeter for Photoshop work, but I have no problems in accepting the out-of-box calibration of my new TV.
So far I have been viewing with 'normal' profiles but will be checking out the other presets with more Netflix 4K Dolby Vision or HDR viewing.
Normal is far too unnatural for me, but at least there are plenty of picture modes and adjustments to satisfy anyone.

Filmmaker or True Cinema is the way to go, as well as Dolby Vision dark. At least if you want the most correct color accuracy.

It would be useful if, when saying normal mode is not natural, you say whether your comments apply to both TV programs or movies or both. For TV programs natural seems natural to me.

It would be useful if, when saying normal mode is not natural, you say whether your comments apply to both TV programs or movies or both. For TV programs natural seems natural to me.
If someone isn't keen on one particular picture mode, then I would assume that applies to both programs and movies. If one looks bad, the other will too.

Personally, I find the Cinema and Pro modes suit my tastes the most (with minimal tweaking) and these are the modes normally recommended for colour accuracy, with little to no unnecessary picture processing options enabled which is my preference.

The subject of favourite picture modes can be very subjective though, so you just have to find the one that looks right to you. Don't forget that you can always come up with your own combination of settings and save it in the 'Custom' preset, if you want to avoid altering the others.

Sorry, yes for any content, any resolution etc. I prefer to use pro1 or 2 with minor tweaks. Just personal preference

I received my 65JZ1500 on Friday and set it up over the weekend. Unfortunately, mine has a reddish pink tint over the whole left side and into the right side with a smaller green tint spot on the right. Not overly noticeable in normal content until you have a picture of sky, snow or anything black & white and/or the picture is panning.

I have no such tinting issues with my 65FZ802 and the whites looked white and lighter shades were correct too. Looking at the JZ2000 thread there has been a few other unlucky people with the same red & green tint issues. I do not know how these supposed top tier 'master panels' passed Panasonic's quality control tbh. It's a real shame as the set is otherwise excellent and is completely free of any banding and the like.

As much as I have tried over the last few days I can't un-see the tints so it's going back and my replacement set is coming from JL next Saturday. I am very nervous that my next set will come from the same batch and will have the same/similar tints. :(

HB

Edit. Received my replacement from JL 5/11 and this panel is very good - as good as could be I think. Now I can enjoy the TV :clap:

Last edited:
I received my 65JZ1500 on Friday and set it up over the weekend. Unfortunately, mine has a reddish pink tint over the whole left side and into the right side with a smaller green tint spot on the right. Not overly noticeable in normal content until you have a picture of sky, snow or anything black & white and/or the picture is panning.

I have no such tinting issues with my 65FZ802 and the whites looked white and lighter shades were correct too. Looking at the JZ2000 thread there has been a few other unlucky people with the same red & green tint issues. I do not know how these supposed top tier 'master panels' passed Panasonic's quality control tbh. It's a real shame as the set is otherwise excellent and is completely free of any banding and the like.

As much as I have tried over the last few days I can't un-see the tints so it's going back and my replacement set is coming from JL next Saturday. I am very nervous that my next set will come from the same batch and will have the same/similar tints. :(

HB
Did you have the JL £140 protection cover to get a replacement or were they happy to replace without it?

Did you have the JL £140 protection cover to get a replacement or were they happy to replace without it?
No additional protection. I only received the TV last Friday so it was well within JL's standard 28 day return/replace period. JL are simply swapping it.

HB

HB
Seems like these are really selected panels.

Seems like these are really selected panels.
They are definitely selected and corrected (2000 series at least) for near-black vertical banding as it's pretty much non-existent. But tinting seems to be a big problem on 65" panels, they can't correct it and rejecting whole batch of panels if all of them have some degree of tinting isn't an option.

They are definitely selected and corrected (2000 series at least) for near-black vertical banding as it's pretty much non-existent. But tinting seems to be a big problem on 65" panels, they can't correct it and rejecting whole batch of panels if all of them have some degree of tinting isn't an option.
I'm pretty sure that either Panasonic or LG Display have gone on the record in the past as saying that Panasonic's panels are not cherry-picked in order to get the best examples.

I'm pretty sure that either Panasonic or LG Display have gone on the record in the past as saying that Panasonic's panels are not cherry-picked in order to get the best examples.
Then corrected at least. Custom mura correction is something Panasonic openly advertises as an advantage of 2000 series.
Besides, I doubt any of them have publicly said anything about panel selection/gradaing. It's a subject no one ever speaks openly about.

My tv is 55 jz1500.

I’m considering to buy a soundbar (sonos beam 2). Since circle stand is quite big, there’s no enough space before and I need to place the soundbar on the stand. Is it ok or is there some disadvantage ?

It was bought at £2800 but next morning the price had dropped to £2600 which they honoured. I still have to claim the ecard £100
I had a similar experience with JL. I paid £2199 for the TX-55JZ1500B on the 1st October, then within a week or so JL and others had reduced it to £1999. Contacted JL and got a £200 refund a day later no quibble, great service.

This is my first OLED and I have to say I'm blown away. I was a little concerned about brightness but had nothing to worry about, it is as bright as my old eyes can handle and some. Any TV where an actors torch can cast shadows on my wall is bright enough for me!!

Thinking that I could now watch movies in a completely dark room, was a bit of a mistake though. Because the TV gives off zero light when showing a black screen there are huge brightness variations, which I found fatiguing, so for me a little dim red bias lighting helps to give more relaxing watch.

For night time viewing I use Filmmaker.
For day time I use Cinema.

The only thing I felt a need to adjust is to reduce colour saturation from 50 to 40 in both modes. In Cinema I also increased the Luminance to 60, but reduced brightness to -4.

I've been dead set on a JZ1500 for a while now but in doing research I decided to rewatch the HDTV Test youtube review of the JZ2000 again and now I feel a bit deflated.

Can any of you owners comment on the gradiation/posterisation issues he discusses? He shows it visible not just in lower bitrate streams but full fat 4k blu ray. Apparently the LG and Sony can dial it out but the Panny has no setting to remove it, wasn't there on the HZ series. The near black seemed concerning too.

My tv is 55 jz1500.

I’m considering to buy a soundbar (sonos beam 2). Since circle stand is quite big, there’s no enough space before and I need to place the soundbar on the stand. Is it ok or is there some disadvantage ?
I would not want to put a soundbar on the speaker stand. Are you definitely going to buy the Sonos beam 2?

I would not want to put a soundbar on the speaker stand. Are you definitely going to buy the Sonos beam 2?
Probably I was wrong with a word stand, in the manual it is called pedestal.

No, I’m not yet 100% sure to buy sonos beam 2.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom