Panasonic JZ OLED Series Owners Thread

stephentw

I had this same needing to go to bed problem with my 65jz1500!

One thing I did notice on the series X in 120hz mode on hdmi 1 is that the sound from earc to Sony htst5000 (hdmi 2) cuts our every few seconds. I switch to 60hz mode and it's fine.

It's ok for me as I prefer Dolby Vision gaming which is 60hz anyway. But worth noting perhaps as an issue. Going to try some different combos of settings to try get it to work well.

Otherwise it is bloody fantastic. Fired up some star wars, jjohn wick 3 and some Disney+ marvel movies and I am very impressed!

What picture mode is most accurate? Filmmaker? Also is there any settings that I must turn off or on. New to the Panasonic UI, too used to the LG one.
Have you got the 4k 120hz update? I didn't notice the sound issue since the update but I also ended up putting it back to 60. 120 also disables the option to hard clip for HGIG.

Stoodles74

Standard Member
Afternoon .... I'm amazed the picture quality settings straight out the box, my last tv Panasonis tx50cx800 I tweaked the setting through Avfuroms video on YouTube where you could get into the white balance etc & pretty much stuck with those setting. Are you able to do this with the JZ1000 ? Is there some setting out there to try ? Or is everybody using the film maker modes etc installed into the TV? Just need a few hours on my own, no distractions playing around with the dam thing, just not enough hours in the day. But so far mighty impressed & should of brought an Oled sooner ...

WarHog

Afternoon .... I'm amazed the picture quality settings straight out the box, my last tv Panasonis tx50cx800 I tweaked the setting through Avfuroms video on YouTube where you could get into the white balance etc & pretty much stuck with those setting. Are you able to do this with the JZ1000 ? Is there some setting out there to try ? Or is everybody using the film maker modes etc installed into the TV? Just need a few hours on my own, no distractions playing around with the dam thing, just not enough hours in the day. But so far mighty impressed & should of brought an Oled sooner ...
Great that your impressed. What source are you using when watching TV? Are you using Sky, Freesat, in built apps...?

Stoodles74

Standard Member
So far just used Netflix, football on Amazon & got virgin v6 Box ... just a few hours last night after it was delivered. Still yet to use my Panasonic 4k blu ray player & the xbox series X .... hopefully have more time the weekend to play some 4k Blu rays & do abit of gaming on Forza Horizon 5 & the Microsoft flight sim.

WarHog

So far just used Netflix, football on Amazon & got virgin v6 Box ... just a few hours last night after it was delivered. Still yet to use my Panasonic 4k blu ray player & the xbox series X .... hopefully have more time the weekend to play some 4k Blu rays & do abit of gaming on Forza Horizon 5 & the Microsoft flight sim.

For us blokes, nothing really comes close to the excitement of buying a new TV.

Stoodles74

Standard Member
For us blokes, nothing really comes close to the excitement of buying a new TV.
I must admit your probably right, lol maybe a car comes a close 2nd, lol trouble is I'll be tweaking things here & there, testing 4k blu rays, checking for tips on these furoms & this will go on for the next few months making sure I'm getting every once out of yhis thing .... then & only then I can properly enjoy it, lol doh .. but that's all part of the enjoyment

stephentw

Has anyone dared check uniformity slides on their JZ yet? I was feeling brave and had a quick look, white was 100% pure white thankfully, no pink or blue tint at all that I could see. 5% grey had some darker patches in the top left and top right and 2% grey had similar but it was more noticeable.

I've not noticed any of it at all in normal content though, even in very dark films/TV shows so I don't feel too worried about it.

Is a lot of this uniformity stuff blown out of proportion with photos? It certainly looked an awful lot worse when I snapped a pic on my phone, it looks NOTHING like that in real life even on the slides. TV was at 93 hours when I checked.

JohnDoe174258

Standard Member
A few days ago I got my 65jz1506 delivered and it’s a big step up from my 10 year old 42 inch Panasonic plasma. Really happy with the purchase even though both kids are sick and I’ve mostly seen upscaled Paw Patrol and Peppa Pig…

One question though I hope you can help me with. Lately I’ve had problems with my eyesight and I’ve found that the motion interpolation does help me a lot to make watching the television easier on my eyes. I’ve never used this function for years because I didn’t like how it made my movies look and on my old plasma it still wasn’t very fluid. I’d like to fine tune it now but I can’t seem to find the right setting. I’ve found however that the standard motion interpolation when in the DV IQ mode seems pretty on the spot.

Does anyone know what settings for motion interpolation are used when in this mode? Any advice on where to put the sliders when not using the motion interpolation presets? What do both sliders exactly do independent of each other?

TurboRB

Novice Member
Hi all, just registering on here as a "certified refurbished" TX-55JZ1500B popped up on ebay yesterday with a delivered price of £1295, so I've taken a punt that its OK. With such a saving and what appears to be a reputable seller with 30day return and 12month warranty I'm hoping the gamble against current brand new at £1799 pays off.
I'm coming from a much loved and faultless 10yr old TX-42G30B plasma, which I've been holding off on replacing until I felt the time was right so hoping I'm going to enjoy Christmas sports and Movies and finally trying some 4K content from the firestick.
Its been a while since I set-up a TV so will be back here for advise no doubt, crossing my fingers now that all is Ok when delivered and tested tomorrow.

mothmanz

Novice Member
Received my 65JZ980 this morning.

Some quick thoughts: filmmaker mode is an excellent default for just about everything (& it's darker so my fear of retention on news bars is lessened). The standard Netflix plan (1080p because my internet speed isn't fast enough for ultra hd) looks fine on such a large screen, although right now I can't get the surround sound system I have (a ten year old Sony 5.1 home cinema) to play real surround sound (it's just "virtual" whereby the speakers all work but the back ones aren't surround).

I plugged in my Xbox One X (my blu ray player) & also tried some games. Here's a huge takeaway so far: where's this "infamous" Oled stutter on 30fps games or even 24fps movie content everyone speaks of (seriously, it's all over the internet)?

I must have had the worst Plasma ever because I don't notice anything "worse" in terms of motion on the Oled, in fact The Witcher 3 (enhanced Xbox One X version at 4K 30fps) seemed smoother! I have motion interpolation turned off as well.

Stoodles74

Standard Member
Afternoon, just going to ask regards panasonic 4k blu ray players. I gave one forget model number it was around £200 in 2016 .. should that be sufficient for my JZ1000 or is it worth getting a new Panasonic 4k blu ray payer ... Will it be a big step up from my old one, & I don't mean the UB900 the price of that thing 😳.... I mean a midrange one maybe the UB820 £200-£300

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Afternoon, just going to ask regards panasonic 4k blu ray players. I gave one forget model number it was around £200 in 2016 .. should that be sufficient for my JZ1000 or is it worth getting a new Panasonic 4k blu ray payer ... Will it be a big step up from my old one, & I don't mean the UB900 the price of that thing 😳.... I mean a midrange one maybe the UB820 £200-£300
Unless you're going to be buying 4K UHDs your current player will likely suffice. The JZ1000 can upscale DVDs/blu-rays as well as, or better than, cheap 4K players.

Stoodles74

Standard Member
Unless you're going to be buying 4K UHDs your current player will likely suffice. The JZ1000 can upscale DVDs/blu-rays as well as, or better than, cheap 4K players.
Thanks reply .... that's it I do have 4k uhd's & I will continue to by them .... my current 4k uhd player doesn't have dolby vision or atmos ... & I'm guessing the tech In the current players will have improved since my current player .... so would my JZ1000 & a current Player be a better fit picture wise than just keeping my current Player ? Like do they both contribute to a better pitch or does one override the other if they both have dolby vision & atmos ?

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Thanks reply .... that's it I do have 4k uhd's & I will continue to by them .... my current 4k uhd player doesn't have dolby vision or atmos ... & I'm guessing the tech In the current players will have improved since my current player .... so would my JZ1000 & a current Player be a better fit picture wise than just keeping my current Player ? Like do they both contribute to a better pitch or does one override the other if they both have dolby vision & atmos ?
No UHD players 'have' atmos. All UHD players (even your vintage 2016 one) can bitstream atmos soundtracks to an atmos capable playback device (TV, AVR, soundbar). Whether it is worth buying a new player for Dolby Vision might depend on how many DV discs you have?

Unless your current player is particularly bad at plaback I don't think you would see a big benefit from a new player in the £200-£300 price range with HDR10 discs. You might see a benefit with DV discs.

Stoodles74

Standard Member
No UHD players 'have' atmos. All UHD players (even your vintage 2016 one) can bitstream atmos soundtracks to an atmos capable playback device (TV, AVR, soundbar). Whether it is worth buying a new player for Dolby Vision might depend on how many DV discs you have?

Unless your current player is particularly bad at plaback I don't think you would see a big benefit from a new player in the £200-£300 price range with HDR10 discs. You might see a benefit with DV discs.
Thank you, great help 👌

Stoodles74

Standard Member

One last thing & if I'm sounding thick I do apologise.... so if I had a Dolby Vision 4k uhd disc & I played it in my current Player would I get Dolby Vision ? & would that be because I have Dolby vision on my TV ? Or would I need a 4k player with Dolby Vision ?

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
One last thing & if I'm sounding thick I do apologise.... so if I had a Dolby Vision 4k uhd disc & I played it in my current Player would I get Dolby Vision ? & would that be because I have Dolby vision on my TV ? Or would I need a 4k player with Dolby Vision ?
No, you would get HDR10. You need a player with Dolby Vision capability to have it output Dolby Vision.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Both need to support it, what’s your player?

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Panasonic DMP-UB400 .... pretty sure it doesn't have Dolby vision
It doesn't. I did a simple calculation to decide whether to upgrade my UB700 to a UB820 for Dolby Vision.

Player cost say £300 / number of DV discs = cost per title to upgrade. Ten DV discs = it's costing £30 each to see them slightly better. One hundred DV discs = £3 each to see them slightly better.
Change the player to a UB450 @ £189 and the breakeven point goes down quite a bit :smashin:

NB around 10% of my DV discs look worse in DV than in HDR10 so you can also have the situation of paying more to see them a bit worse....

Last edited:

Stoodles74

Standard Member
It doesn't. I did a simple calculation to decide whether to upgrade my UB700 to a UB820 for Dolby Vision.

Player cost say £300 / number of DV discs = cost per title to upgrade. Ten DV discs = it's costing £30 each to see them slightly better. One hundred DV discs = £3 each to see them slightly better.
Change the player to a UB450 @ £189 and the breakeven point goes down quite a bit :smashin:

NB around 10% of my DV discs look worse in DV than in HDR10 so you can also have the situation of paying more to see them a bit worse....
Great insight thanks. Just dawned on me I have the Series X so can play my Dolby vision 4k discs through that, doh .... just need to upgrade my sound bar as my Sc all70 doesn't have Atmos .... which is a shame as I've got 2 rear speaker in the sc all2's ... but I shall see

JohnDoe174258

Standard Member
Ifc is setted at minimum with dv iq.

Thanks! Anyone else who’s been playing with the ifc settings who could give me some advice on a good middle ground for the ifc sliders to make picture as fluid as possible without getting it overly fake with faster movements or introducing artifacts? I’m still trying to figure out the effect of the first slider in ifc?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BBC licence fee to be scrapped in 2027
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches ZEN One Signature DAC
  • By Andy Bassett