Panasonic JZ OLED Series Owners Thread

thedoswells

Probably I was wrong with a word stand, in the manual it is called pedestal.

No, I’m not yet 100% sure to buy sonos beam 2.
Yes I understand. I would not like to put a soundbar on top of the pedestal.
I would prefer to buy a different soundbar, like the Panasonic SC-HTB900 which I have, and it fits well with the pedestal.
Or I would buy a separate pedestal, like a Sanus.
How much space do you have available?

gregy4

Novice Member
Yes I understand. I would not like to put a soundbar on top of the pedestal.
I would prefer to buy a different soundbar, like the Panasonic SC-HTB900 which I have, and it fits well with the pedestal.
Or I would buy a separate pedestal, like a Sanus.
How much space do you have available?
Thanks for options. I wasn’t aware that alternative like a Sanus exists.

I have only about 5cm on tv stand, pedestal of previous panasonic tv (plasma) was smaller and elliptic.

leev

Standard Member
Is anyone able to activate the full suite of picture modes when using Netflix, YouTube and Rakuten built in apps? I am only able to select dynamic or normal as well as Netflix calibrated for Netflix. All other options are missing. On Amazon the full range appears.

Also the information button for displaying resolutions, frames and HDR does not function when using in built apps. Can this be enabled?

Thanks for the help.

gregy4

Novice Member
In youtube I’m able to select picture mode via picture button or main menu/Image. bubble accessed via menu button sometimes displays nothing, normal/dynamic or full set of options. For me the bubble doesn’t work as expected.

mikej

Also the information button for displaying resolutions, frames and HDR does not function when using in built apps. Can this be enabled?
On the GZ OLED, pressing the 'Info' button will have varied results depending on the app, so I would imagine it'll be the same on the JZ. For example, pressing Info while watching Netflix gives bitrate and quality data, whereas pressing it while watching something on Prime does nothing. It'll be simply down to whether the app supports it I would imagine and there won't be a way round it.

Last edited:

mikej

For those with picture mode issues with the YouTube app, only the 'Normal' picture mode is available on the GZ while in the YouTube menus and this is normal for that model, but the full range of picture mode options appear once playing actual content so if you're trying to troubleshoot this issue, make sure you're actually playing a video otherwise you may experience the same restriction.

If the range of available options is still very limited, then it may also be worth checking you haven't disabled any of the displayable picture mode button options in the relevant option in the main Picture menu - I can't remember whether a single setting applies to all sources/inputs or whether it is done on a per input (or even per app) basis.

MahaRaja

Has anyone noticed a difference in picture quality from JZ1000 to JZ1500.

Can you actually notice a difference in brightness in HDR and or any other changes between these two models.

Diehard58

Standard Member
Has anyone noticed a difference in picture quality from JZ1000 to JZ1500.

Can you actually notice a difference in brightness in HDR and or any other changes between these two models.
I have seen both tv in john lewis store 1500 is bright both have great PQ

stephentw

For those with picture mode issues with the YouTube app, only the 'Normal' picture mode is available on the GZ while in the YouTube menus and this is normal for that model, but the full range of picture mode options appear once playing actual content so if you're trying to troubleshoot this issue, make sure you're actually playing a video otherwise you may experience the same restriction.

If the range of available options is still very limited, then it may also be worth checking you haven't disabled any of the displayable picture mode button options in the relevant option in the main Picture menu - I can't remember whether a single setting applies to all sources/inputs or whether it is done on a per input (or even per app) basis.
I'm going to try that right now.

Checking through the various JZ threads and testing things tonight hopefully. Deluge of replies possibly incoming.

stephentw

Can confirm this works on the JZ1500. So on the internal YouTube app start a video playing and pause it, all the picture modes are available. Go back to the front page and only Normal or Dynamic show.

Filmmaker mode has the luminance and contrast maxed out, why do the settings for the same presets differ on different inputs?

mikej

Can confirm this works on the JZ1500. So on the internal YouTube app start a video playing and pause it, all the picture modes are available.
That's great - thought it might be worth checking.
Filmmaker mode has the luminance and contrast maxed out, why do the settings for the same presets differ on different inputs?
That's maxed out for HDR content only presumably, which would be normal - it definitely shouldn't default to max settings for SDR.

Many people like to apply different picture settings for different external sources (eg. Blu-ray player, console etc), so being able to leave those set on a 'per input' basis is an invaluable feature. If you have a setting you like to change to a different (but identical) value regardless of the source then that might be a bit of a pain, but you only have to make the change once - the first time you use it - and it should default to that setting from then on.

stephentw

That's great - thought it might be worth checking.

That's maxed out for HDR content only presumably, which would be normal - it definitely shouldn't default to max settings for SDR.

Many people like to apply different picture settings for different external sources (eg. Blu-ray player, console etc), so being able to leave those set on a 'per input' basis is an invaluable feature. If you have a setting you like to change to a different (but identical) value regardless of the source then that might be a bit of a pain, but you only have to make the change once - the first time you use it - and it should default to that setting from then on.
Ah yes, right again :laugh: it is only maxed out in HDR, it's 90 for SDR, in Filmmaker anyway.

I get the different settings for different inputs, it just seemed like they weren't consistent out of the box but it was me getting HDR and SDR mixed up.

I feel a bit lost coming to OLED from plasma after so long. There's so many extra picture modes and settings it's easy to get confused. Especially since my plasma was basically set and calibrated and never touched settings wise in it's entire life.

I'll get the OLED pro calibrated at some point but I want to settle on something good enough for now. So far I've got (which I think is almost default for Filmmaker)...

Mode: Filmmaker
Luminance Level: 50 (was 30)
Contrast 90 SDR, 100 HDR (can anyone explain why it's higher in HDR or maybe more to the point why it's lower in SDR?)
Brightness: 0
Colour: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Colour Temp: warm 2
All picture processing I can find off (ambient sensor, NR, resolution remaster, dynamic range remaster,MPEG remaster, colour remaster/rec 2020 colour remaster)
IFC/BFI: Off
Gamma: BT.1886 (is this right for both SDR and HDR? I think that's what HDTV Test say)

Am I right in thinking in Advanced Settings the Colour Gamut setting will change between Rec.2020 (HDR) and Rec.709 (SDR) automatically? It seems to and I think those are right for each...

Think that's it, until I start looking at settings on different inputs for changing HDMI modes and whatever else :confused:

HeadBanger

Ah yes, right again :laugh: it is only maxed out in HDR, it's 90 for SDR, in Filmmaker anyway.

I get the different settings for different inputs, it just seemed like they weren't consistent out of the box but it was me getting HDR and SDR mixed up.

I feel a bit lost coming to OLED from plasma after so long. There's so many extra picture modes and settings it's easy to get confused. Especially since my plasma was basically set and calibrated and never touched settings wise in it's entire life.

I'll get the OLED pro calibrated at some point but I want to settle on something good enough for now. So far I've got (which I think is almost default for Filmmaker)...

Mode: Filmmaker
Luminance Level: 50 (was 30)
Contrast 90 SDR, 100 HDR (can anyone explain why it's higher in HDR or maybe more to the point why it's lower in SDR?)
Brightness: 0
Colour: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Colour Temp: warm 2
All picture processing I can find off (ambient sensor, NR, resolution remaster, dynamic range remaster,MPEG remaster, colour remaster/rec 2020 colour remaster)
IFC/BFI: Off
Gamma: BT.1886 (is this right for both SDR and HDR? I think that's what HDTV Test say)

Am I right in thinking in Advanced Settings the Colour Gamut setting will change between Rec.2020 (HDR) and Rec.709 (SDR) automatically? It seems to and I think those are right for each...

Think that's it, until I start looking at settings on different inputs for changing HDMI modes and whatever else :confused:
Your luminance setting seems pretty high. Do you have a particularly bright room?

For gamma I believe the recommended standard is 2.2 for HDR. For SD content it’s up to you but BT1886 or 2.4 are commonly used. If you have a bright room 2.2 (comes out of black faster than 2.4) may suit you better.

HB

stephentw

Yeah I turned luminance back down to 40-for now but I think I saw or read 30 should be correct/accurate for dark rooms so maybe I'll move it back to 30.

Should it be lower in SDR and full blast 100 in HDR? That seems crazy, it was eye searing but I'm sure that was the dolby vision dark default (I could be wrong).

I usually watch in a dark room but I do have a bias light too. I'll have a look at the gamma then and change it for HDR. I couldn't see a particularly distinguishable difference between BT1886 and 2.4 from memory.

cairomike

Standard Member
Odd audio issue, Netflix, Prime and Disney+

I’m posting this as an observation in case anyone else has the same issue. My TV audio is connected to a Denon AV Amp from HDMI-2, the sound setting is set to ‘Home Cinema’.

A few days ago I downloaded the Disney+ app, when I loaded it there was no sound, so checked broadcast TV, Netflix, Prime Video and the iPlayer, all had sound. Then I realised the sound on Netflix and Prime was intermittent, breaking up every couple of seconds, strangely this didn’t happen on the iPlayer or broadcast TV. Nothing I could do would fix either the breakup or lack of sound from Disney+, so as a last resort I unplugged the TV from the mains, waited and reconnected it, now Disney+ has sound and the audio breakup on Netflix and Prime has gone.

Only a few minutes before trying Disney+ for the first time I had been watching Netflix and there was no sound problem, my gut feeling is that the lack of sound from Disney+ somehow messed with the audio from other apps.

HeadBanger

Yeah I turned luminance back down to 40-for now but I think I saw or read 30 should be correct/accurate for dark rooms so maybe I'll move it back to 30.

Should it be lower in SDR and full blast 100 in HDR? That seems crazy, it was eye searing but I'm sure that was the dolby vision dark default (I could be wrong).

I usually watch in a dark room but I do have a bias light too. I'll have a look at the gamma then and change it for HDR. I couldn't see a particularly distinguishable difference between BT1886 and 2.4 from memory.
I have my JZ1500 set at 35 luminance which works well for both daytime and night time viewing.

Yes, for HDR both luminance and contrast should be set to 100% so that the set can utilise the set’s full brightness capabilities when required for the HDR EOTF gamma.

There’s a good basic explanation on CNET of HDR here How HDR works

HB

Beemer3

Standard Member
Is anyone able to activate the full suite of picture modes when using Netflix, YouTube and Rakuten built in apps? I am only able to select dynamic or normal as well as Netflix calibrated for Netflix. All other options are missing. On Amazon the full range appears.

Thanks for the help.
What is selected in settings, TV or Home Theatre

mikej

What is selected in settings, TV or Home Theatre
Those are options for audio - the issues he asked about were to do with the picture and were actually answered above :)

Beemer3

Standard Member
Those are options for audio - the issues he asked about were to do with the picture and were actually answered above :)
My experience is that changing that setting affects what video setting are greyed out. Perhaps you would direct me to specific post where 'the answer is above'

mikej

My experience is that changing that setting affects what video setting are greyed out. Perhaps you would direct me to specific post where 'the answer is above'
OK, in which case that's a new one on me. I'm aware that changing from TV to Home Cinema speakers alters some of the other audio settings, but can't see why it would affect video settings.

I answered the question about the info button when using apps here and the lack of picture modes available when using YouTube issue here (I don't have Rakuten although suspect the issue could be similar and missed the bit about Netflix being affected, which could simply be down to having to use the Picture menu options as opposed to the Picture mode button on the remote, which is certainly true when watching Netflix HDR content)

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
I'm having a strange problem with my 65JZ2000 where picture menu items from what looks like a LCD TV appear in with my usual items I'll also get two motion sub menus. At first I though just a novelty as they usually disappear by themself. Now I'm seeing that after they have appeared and gone away again my calibration setting done by Calman for Panasonic autocal disappear as well.

So far I've calibrated Pro 1 and Pro 2 for SDR and HDR. One each of those had disappeared yesterday evening. That's now meaning I'll have to redo at the cost of 4 odd hours of time to be spent.

Has anyone else had the mashed up menus? or disappearing calibration? Obviously for me it's just wasted time. But if having a pro calibration it's potentially a lot of wasted money.

leev

Standard Member
OK, in which case that's a new one on me. I'm aware that changing from TV to Home Cinema speakers alters some of the other audio settings, but can't see why it would affect video settings.

I answered the question about the info button when using apps here and the lack of picture modes available when using YouTube issue here (I don't have Rakuten although suspect the issue could be similar and missed the bit about Netflix being affected, which could simply be down to having to use the Picture menu options as opposed to the Picture mode button on the remote, which is certainly true when watching Netflix HDR content)
I can confirm that for both YouTube and Ratuken when a video is playing the full picture options return.

I cant use the info button for resolution/HDR/ Ratio information when using apps but the seems to be the case for all.

leev

Standard Member
Is there a flag at all on the Panasonics for HRD10+ content like with dolby vision? Not sure how to confirm hdr10+ through the amazon app as it doesn't appear to be indicated.

kcabhead

I know this has already been mentioned somewhere else but is the only difference (£300 worth)
the stands on the TX48JZ1500B and the TX48JZ1000B??
Seems a lot for the stand??

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audioengine launches compact S6 powered subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers