Panasonic JZ OLED Series Owners Thread

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
I’ve just got a couple of Zidoo’s also, better PQ than Shield, but kept my Apple TV boxes for streaming..

JCUK89

Novice Member
Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help - I am really interested in the JZ1500 model.

I am not sure about the available connections. I have an Apple TV 4k 2021, Xbox Series X and planning to purchase a good eARC soundbar. Will I be able to use these devices with the TV at their best? I know I can connect the xbox and apple tv to the two 2.1 hdmis but what about a soundbar?

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help - I am really interested in the JZ1500 model.

I am not sure about the available connections. I have an Apple TV 4k 2021, Xbox Series X and planning to purchase a good eARC soundbar. Will I be able to use these devices with the TV at their best? I know I can connect the xbox and apple tv to the two 2.1 hdmis but what about a soundbar?
ATV 4K doesn't need to be connected to a HDMI 2.1 port. eARC sound bar does need to connect to a HDMI 2.1 port as one of the two 2.1 ports has the single eARC connection.

KIWIBIRD

Novice Member
I did away with my Nvidia shield and went with a Zidoo Z9X. Prefer how it handles Dolby vision and just seems to pop more than the shield did. As the TV apps are super responsive and the upscaling is good, I also didn't need the streaming side from the shield anymore and the Zidoo was better option for playing my rips.

Looked up the Zidoo Z9X you mentioned and the consensus seem to be that it is a much better player than the shield for HDR content all around.
Very interested in this player now.

Have they implemented the google play store in its OS or do you still have to sideload the APK's for the apps?

HeadBanger

Looked up the Zidoo Z9X you mentioned and the consensus seem to be that it is a much better player than the shield for HDR content all around.

Have they implemented the google play store in its OS or do you still have to sideload the APK's for the apps?
If they are like the Dune players they can run Aptoid but these aren’t great for running apps. You are better off using the TV’s internal apps.

The Zidoo and Dune players are best for very high quality playback of locally stored rips (MKV, ISO etc.). Fueko.com is a good online shop stocking these. I’ve just ordered another Dune for another room from them.

HB

Snowfire

As above, purely use is for playing rips. Find the TV apps work fine on the JZ, which is why I decided to do away from the shield.

Ashketchup

So I took delivery of my 65JZ980 last week. Haven't had much time to play with it yet, but here are my observations so far:

Out-of-the-box colours in film maker mode - the reason I bought this TV over an LG - are fantastic. Brightness is not an issue in my living room with an adjacent balcony door/windows.

In terms of banding and posterisation, I don't see much of a difference between this set and my old GZ950. Perhaps I do see slightly more of it here and there, but that could be partly due to the fact that I had a 55" previously and am sitting closer to this 65" than I did the 55". In some rare cases this TV is actually better - I see lest banding in The Last Of Us Part II's loading screen than I did on my GZ950.

The only time it was noticeably distracting was while test playing the Resident Evil 2 Remake. This game is notorious for its greyish blacks and banding issues, and I remember seeing LG OLED owners complaining about how bad certain dark scenes looked. I never thought these scenes looked that bad on my GZ950 due to its superb near black handling, but on the JZ980 I now see what LG owners were talking about. Again though, I'm looking at a more blown-up picture this time around.

I faced some weird issues with my PS5 at first. I could see screen tearing in the lower third of the screen occasionally in the film maker picture preset with game mode enabled. This happened in pretty much every game I tried. Strangely, enabling the TV's VRR setting seems to have fixed this, even though the PS5 does not yet support VRR.

Also, prior to updating the TV to the latest firmware, engaging the 120hz mode in Ratchet & Clank once caused the TV to completely crash to a black screen and make weird noises. I haven't seen this again since updating.

It's a bit of a shame that dynamic HDR tone mapping cannot be disabled in the 4K 120hz bypass mode, meaning that you have to choose between HGIG and full 4K resolution for 120hz games. But I wasn't able to spot a difference between full/half vertical resolution at my viewing distance, so it's not that big a deal. And maybe Panasonic can add the disabling of dynamic tone mapping in a future update (wishful thinking).

HDR10 movies from my Kodi box look fantastic. Can't wait to try some Dolby Vision content on Netflix.

Overall, I'm happy with the TV for the price I paid, but will need to do some further testing. You can definitely see how the mediatek chips have hamstrung Panasonic this year - I never once had any kind of issue with my GZ950. But I've resolved most of them through fiddling with the settings and updating the TV. I look forward to enjoying many hours of content on this set!

Last edited:

stephentw

Has anyone tried using the "Scenery" mode as a screensaver?

Am I right in thinking a full 100% black slide will basically turn the screen off on an OLED?

I was thinking about adding a black slide to the scenery app as it has a dedicated button. Then it's like a one press screen saver for when content is paused.

leev

Standard Member
Does anyone have any experience with panasonic customer service? I have had my JZ1500 for under three months with very little use. Today while dusting the TV i noticed a small chip in the panel. Now i have noticed it and in light of the fact its a £2500 panel i would really like to have it repaired or replaced. Would this be feasible?

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Does anyone have any experience with panasonic customer service? I have had my JZ1500 for under three months with very little use. Today while dusting the TV i noticed a small chip in the panel. Now i have noticed it and in light of the fact its a £2500 panel i would really like to have it repaired or replaced. Would this be feasible?
The problem you have is that you haven't seen it before 3 months have passed. You should be contacting your retailer rather than Panasonic although they may just say the cause is accidental damage by yourself. How big is the chip and where is it?

leev

Standard Member
I contacted the retailer Richer Sounds who said i need to contact Panasonic. Its a small chip in the bottom right corner of the screen. I only noticed now because of little use as its a screen in a second room and not the main telly.

stephentw

Has anyone tried using the "Scenery" mode as a screensaver?

Am I right in thinking a full 100% black slide will basically turn the screen off on an OLED?

I was thinking about adding a black slide to the scenery app as it has a dedicated button. Then it's like a one press screen saver for when content is paused.
If anyone's interested I did this earlier. Seems to work. I used an old USB stick and just the black pattern from the link in the first post here.

Far easier than navigating into the settings to turn the screen off, just set the Scenery app to launch into the USB stick and make sure the stick just has the one file.

To launch it press the Scenery button on the remote, instant black screen.

No more risk of burned in time bars, pause icons etc.

:clap: :thumbsup:

ITEM 17a

Novice Member
Hello - new JZ1500 owner. I’m currently loving my new TV! I’ve been lurking for a while; if anyone else is in the same boat, don’t think twice! I have a 65” and sit around 6 feet away - I’m sooo glad I didn’t go for the 55”!

I have been using scenery as a screen saver, but with the actual scenery (minus the static date and time - this seems counter intuitive?!?). It’s actually really relaxing!

Potential noob question: when I watch in Dolby vision (4K disk, Disney plus) the image seems quite grainy; this can’t be correct, surely? I’m using the AV Forums‘ video suggestion of Dolby Vision Dark, with nothing else turned on. I’m sure I’m missing something, and would appreciate some help!

russelkhan

Hello - new JZ1500 owner. I’m currently loving my new TV! I’ve been lurking for a while; if anyone else is in the same boat, don’t think twice! I have a 65” and sit around 6 feet away - I’m sooo glad I didn’t go for the 55”!

I have been using scenery as a screen saver, but with the actual scenery (minus the static date and time - this seems counter intuitive?!?). It’s actually really relaxing!

Potential noob question: when I watch in Dolby vision (4K disk, Disney plus) the image seems quite grainy; this can’t be correct, surely? I’m using the AV Forums‘ video suggestion of Dolby Vision Dark, with nothing else turned on. I’m sure I’m missing something, and would appreciate some help!
Is everything grainy, or just certain material?

KIWIBIRD

Novice Member
Do you people watch netflix with the netflix calibrated mode on or off? (for Dolby Vision content)

I find that i need to turn it off during the day so i can manually switch it to Dolby Vivid Settings for more brightness. As i have ambient light reflecting from the tv in the netflix calibrated mode.

russelkhan

Do you people watch netflix with the netflix calibrated mode on or off? (for Dolby Vision content)

I find that i need to turn it off during the day so i can manually switch it to Dolby Vivid Settings for more brightness. As i have ambient light reflecting from the tv in the netflix calibrated mode.
I use Dolby Vision IQ or Dolby Vision Dark. I find Vivid is just too garish and changes the colours quite drastically. If the picture is too dark on the non-Vivid presets you can adjust brightness and gamma till you're happy with the picture. I find the default gamma too dark for my liking.

ITEM 17a

Novice Member
Is everything grainy, or just certain material?
It’s only on Dolby Vision, and only on Disney plus (either TV app or Apple TV app). It looks like a 720 source in dark scenes. A 4K disk in Dolby vision looks great. I’m using Dolby vision dark with everything off processing wise. I’ve tried adding some processing but the image looks the same (or worse). Netflix / Amazon look great, so I don’t think it’s a WiFi issue (I’m using a Netgear hub, so it’s not a store freebie). I’m really looking forward to watching loads of Marvel shows, and would love to improve the dark pictures.

Any advice is more than welcome!

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
It’s only on Dolby Vision, and only on Disney plus (either TV app or Apple TV app). It looks like a 720 source in dark scenes. A 4K disk in Dolby vision looks great. I’m using Dolby vision dark with everything off processing wise. I’ve tried adding some processing but the image looks the same (or worse). Netflix / Amazon look great, so I don’t think it’s a WiFi issue (I’m using a Netgear hub, so it’s not a store freebie). I’m really looking forward to watching loads of Marvel shows, and would love to improve the dark pictures.

What is the picture like for Disney+ if you turn off Dolby Vision?

stephentw

Has anyone got both an Xbox Series S/X and PS5 both hooked up to their JZ? On 120fps games the audio on Xbox sometimes glitches and pops via eARC. I put it down to my AVR but the PS5 works fine, no audio breakup. I've tried different cables, no different.

russelkhan

Since it's only Disney material then it might be an app issue. From what I've seen, app behaviour on the JZ series is not consistent from user to user. For instance, I don't get Atmos on the Amazon Prime app but others do. My Apple TV app wouldn't even start until I did a factory reset and tried again. And even after the restart I don't get Dolby Vision from Apple TV (but I get it from the other apps) and it streams in the wrong aspect ratio too.

Try deleting the app and then re-installing it. If that doesn't work then you could try a factory reset (which partially fixed my Apple TV problem).

Snowfire

Don't think DV is available yet on Apple TV on the TV app just for reference. Hopefully will come on a further update.

BarryMcKelvey

Hi

I'm having an issue signing into the Apple TV App on my Panasonic TX65JZ200B. I launch the Apple TV App, select Sign in on Mobile Device. I scan the QR Code with my iPhone 13 Pro Max. I sign in via Face ID on my iPhone. I get a message on my iPhone to say that I've successfully signed in. The screen on the TV is automatically refreshed. I then get the following message:

You were signed out of the Apple TV App. Enter the password for Apple ID to sign in again. When I select Sign In, I'm taken back to the Sign In Screen and repeat the process over again. Theres nowhere for me to enter my password.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Barry :)

russelkhan

Don't think DV is available yet on Apple TV on the TV app just for reference. Hopefully will come on a further update.
Ah that explains it. But for some reason everything is stretched to fill the screen when I watch Apple TV. I can't see any way to change the aspect ratio. In general I'm very frustrated with Panasonic's smart interface, even though I went in knowing it was a poor show compared to the likes of LG and Samsung. They really should have licensed Google TV like Sony has done. Although Netflix, iPlayer, and Disney are working properly, my issues with Amazon and Apple TV have really soured things. So for now, my Shield is here to stay.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification