Panasonic JZ OLED Series Owners Thread

Alf A

Novice Member
Everything turned off but it just seems to want to dim and brighten in most pictures, more noticeable when watching the football, areas of the pitch tend to darken and brighten randomly. As I say, it’s only slight but it’s there.

stephentw

What about IFC/BFI maybe? BFI can darken the image but I don't think it dims up and down.

Maybe logo luminance control? That dims parts of the screen it detects static elements on to reduce chance of burn in, if the channel is displaying a logo or the score it would proabably detect that and dim it.

Alf A

Novice Member
What about IFC/BFI maybe? BFI can darken the image but I don't think it dims up and down.

Maybe logo luminance control? That dims parts of the screen it detects static elements on to reduce chance of burn in, if the channel is displaying a logo or the score it would proabably detect that and dim it.
I actually went back and factory reset the tv. Set it back up and just turned off what everyone recommends. Still has this struggle With slight dimming up and down. It’s very very slight but definitely there, must be a fault if no one else has ever had it so I’m sending it back. Shame really because the picture is good in HD and stunning in UHD. I’ve given it every chance by trying Sky Q connection, TV for Netflix/Prime/BBC. Blu-ray player and they all show that same issue

mothmanz

Novice Member
After half a week with my 65 inch jz980, here's some more thoughts:

Screen uniformity is excellent, with no banding or visibly darker/lighter areas in the greyscale test. My old home cinema surround sound system (Sony DAV-DZ340) now works perfectly (I simply had to enable surround in the tv sound settings). 1080p blu rays look sensational (like Alien & Aliens played on an Xbox One X) & the dark room viewing in filmmaker mode is something else on the "wow" scale. I don't particularly care for hdr in video games (too bright, basically) but I'm mostly using this for cinema & series so it's all good.

So far I strongly recommend this Panasonic Oled. Top stuff.

XeNoNF50

I'm REALLY hoping someone can help me.

I've come from a Panny 47 inch LED which had a really great crisp and sharp picture (watching HD content via SKY Q) but so far - its only been 48hrs - i'm really and quite sadly unimpressed with the picture on my new 55 inch JZ1000B. I'm watching content via SKY Q as i did before but the picture is not as sharp or crisp. I've watched the F1 practice sessions today in UHD and was expecting so much more, the onboard shots for example seem grainy and lack crispness.......... its almost like i'm watching it in SD.......Having spent nearly £1200 on a new TV i'm worrying that I've made a huge mistake and dont know what to do about it.

If it helps, i've changed the setting on the SKY Q box to UHD as suggested on their website and i'm using the TV on professional 1 setting with all the IFC etc turned off as i read somewhere that this is the best thing to do.

Can anyone suggest any settings to try on the JZ1000B to make things crisper/sharper everything up?
The onboard shots in F1 are a significantly lower resolution than 4k uhd btw. This has always been the case and it looks the same on my LG G1 as it does on my JZ1500.

I was using professional1 for SDR too but went to filmmaker and increased luminance to 50 from 30 and it is only slightly different to pro1 but I prefer it when I checked side by side. I think someone here suggested to do that.

Hamad138

The onboard shots in F1 are a significantly lower resolution than 4k uhd btw. This has always been the case and it looks the same on my LG G1 as it does on my JZ1500.

I was using professional1 for SDR too but went to filmmaker and increased luminance to 50 from 30 and it is only slightly different to pro1 but I prefer it when I checked side by side. I think someone here suggested to do that.
Can u make a quick comparison between G1 and JZ1500?

XeNoNF50

Can u make a quick comparison between G1 and JZ1500?
To make comparisons I have to nitpick. But in reality there is not much between the two.

JZ1500 is more 'cinematic' and colour accurate out of the box. The motion handling is brilliant on it too particularly on 24 fps content. No pink tint on white images that you get with the Evo panel either. Peak brightness is noticeably higher than the G1 (colour me impressed). Full screen brightness the two seems similar to my eyes. I am going to absolutely love watching movies on this thing and this is what I have my Xbox plugged into (and will be my future ps5 too).

G1 is a gaming God. Used to use it with my RTX 3080 HTPC that I no longer have as well as as my main movie watching TV. Now it is being used mostly to get elite level picture from a tiny footprint wall mounted for my new home's living room.

Out of box picture accuracy isn't brilliant. So much so I bought the Calman software and an xrite device to calibrate it. I still have the xrite but feel no such need with the Panasonic which has come with by far the most accurate picture modes I've seen out of box on a TV. It's literally plug in and play.

I have both. 55G1 is my living room TV and the 65JZ1500 for what will become my home theatre room. Can't call it that yet tho as this was just the first piece of kit for it. I would happily live with either as my main TV. Both phenomenal. The delta on the issues between the two that I talk about isn't that large (apart from out of box picture modes).

Stoodles74

Standard Member
To make comparisons I have to nitpick. But in reality there is not much between the two.

JZ1500 is more 'cinematic' and colour accurate out of the box. The motion handling is brilliant on it too particularly on 24 fps content. No pink tint on white images that you get with the Evo panel either. Peak brightness is noticeably higher than the G1 (colour me impressed). Full screen brightness the two seems similar to my eyes. I am going to absolutely love watching movies on this thing and this is what I have my Xbox plugged into (and will be my future ps5 too).

G1 is a gaming God. Used to use it with my RTX 3080 HTPC that I no longer have as well as as my main movie watching TV. Now it is being used mostly to get elite level picture from a tiny footprint wall mounted for my new home's living room.

Out of box picture accuracy isn't brilliant. So much so I bought the Calman software and an xrite device to calibrate it. I still have the xrite but feel no such need with the Panasonic which has come with by far the most accurate picture modes I've seen out of box on a TV. It's literally plug in and play.

I have both. 55G1 is my living room TV and the 65JZ1500 for what will become my home theatre room. Can't call it that yet tho as this was just the first piece of kit for it. I would happily live with either as my main TV. Both phenomenal. The delta on the issues between the two that I talk about isn't that large (apart from out of box picture modes).

Stoodles74

Standard Member
Few months now I was dead set on the 55" G1 was just hoping maybe it would come down to around £1200 in January, but ideally I wanted the Panasonic as I like the natural look of the Panasonic picture having had the CX800 from 2015 & although I do like my gaming I love my films ... so when the JZ1000 dropped to £1169 I just jumped on it, has everything I need regards film & gaming. Playing Forza Horizon 5 yesterday was exceptional & buzzing for Halo next Couple days .... but great little reviews between both tv's

XeNoNF50

Few months now I was dead set on the 55" G1 was just hoping maybe it would come down to around £1200 in January, but ideally I wanted the Panasonic as I like the natural look of the Panasonic picture having had the CX800 from 2015 & although I do like my gaming I love my films ... so when the JZ1000 dropped to £1169 I just jumped on it, has everything I need regards film & gaming. Playing Forza Horizon 5 yesterday was exceptional & buzzing for Halo next Couple days .... but great little reviews between both tv's
Same on both fronts on the Xbox games! FH5 is beautiful.

yourboylollipop

Yes Panasonics site is very confusing, the JZ1500 headlines don't mention Master panel either soemtimes, yet the JZ2000 & JZ1000 do, but then in the detail JZ2000, 1500 & 1000 all mention it.

From what I know / read JZ2000 & JZ1500 have the brighter panels.
So reading between the lines I'd say :-
JZ2000 = master panel (latest gen) plus runs brighter + soundbar
JZ1500 = master panel (latest gen) plus runs brighter
JZ1000 = master panel (latest gen?!?) does not run brighter
JZ980 = Older gen panel?

If the JZ1000 had the brighter panel, then what would be the difference between ZJ1500 & JZ1000?

From my understanding for 2021 there are two Panasonic oled ‘super’ panels

- the master oled pro panel (On the JZ1500 and the JZ2000)

- the master oled non pro panel (on the JZ1000)

- normal LG panels on the jz980

Not entirely sure what the difference between the pro and non pro master panels but my guess would be that the pro panel is brighter .

The master oled non pro model (on the jz1000) is not the the brighter panel - it is just selection criteria - the claim is this selection criteria picks the best panel .

So if that’s the case then
  • standard panel on jz980
  • specially selected panels on jz1000

- specially selected panels and made brighter on jz1500 and jz2000

Don’t take my word as official though ..

XeNoNF50

Just saw we have the Apple TV+ app. Sadly doesn't include iTunes store stuff :(. Really hope Panasonic/Apple sorts that out eventually!!

avfmaniac

I am wondering what are the accurate settings for the following as the director intended:

Gamma
Filmmaker SDR: BT.1886. I always have either daylight or evening lamps on. Should I set it to 2.2?
Filmmaker HDR 10: 2.2 Why is this not 2.4 as well?
Dolby Vision Dark: 2.2 Why is this not 2.4 as well?

Dynamic HDR Effect
Filmmaker HDR 10: On Why is this not set to Off? What is the correct setting?
Dolby Vision Dark: Off (grayed out) Dolby Vision does not allow to change this setting

(In general, I find HDR content too bright and I am squinting)

HDR Tonemap
Filmmaker HDR 10: On Seems like this is a must
Dolby Vision Dark: On Seems like this is a must

Last edited:

yourboylollipop

I had this same needing to go to bed problem with my 65jz1500!

One thing I did notice on the series X in 120hz mode on hdmi 1 is that the sound from earc to Sony htst5000 (hdmi 2) cuts our every few seconds. I switch to 60hz mode and it's fine.

It's ok for me as I prefer Dolby Vision gaming which is 60hz anyway. But worth noting perhaps as an issue. Going to try some different combos of settings to try get it to work well.

Otherwise it is bloody fantastic. Fired up some star wars, jjohn wick 3 and some Disney+ marvel movies and I am very impressed!

What picture mode is most accurate? Filmmaker? Also is there any settings that I must turn off or on. New to the Panasonic UI, too used to the LG one.

As far as I’m aware of the filmmaker mode is the most accurate .

If Intelligent Frame Creation is on as default , you might want to switch that off .

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
I am wondering what are the accurate settings for the following as the director intended:

Gamma
Filmmaker SDR: BT.1886 (or 2.4). I always have either daylight or evening lamps on?
Filmmaker HDR 10: 2.2 Why is this not 2.4 as well?
Dolby Vision Dark: 2.2 Why is this not 2.4 as well?
Because gamma 2.2 is the setting all TVs use for HDR10/DV.

XeNoNF50

Been testing a little more and these TVs really can do it all! Every OLED can do Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos passthrough via HDMI eARC but played back a few HDR10+ discs and DTS-X via eARC with the UB820 in HDMI3 on this and no issues!

JZ1500/2000 has to be the ultimate home theatre TV, surely!??! Played through portions of 1917 (both DV & HDR10+ but interestingly defaults to HDR10+ when both enabled for use, gave both a watch and think I preferred the DV one though), Gladiator (DTS-X), X-Men Dark Phoenix (HDR10+), Birds of Prey (HDR10+) and Alita (again both DV/HDR10+ but defaults to HDR10+). Wonderful!

I would say one thing I'd love to figure out is how to make the TV/player default to DV when both DV & HDR10+ is available.

Now I just need to figure out my audio upgrade from the Sony HT-ST5000...

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Been testing a little more and these TVs really can do it all! Every OLED can do Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos passthrough via HDMI eARC but played back a few HDR10+ discs and DTS-X via eARC with the UB820 in HDMI3 on this and no issues!

JZ1500/2000 has to be the ultimate home theatre TV, surely!??! Played through portions of 1917 (both DV & HDR10+ but interestingly defaults to HDR10+ when both enabled for use, gave both a watch and think I preferred the DV one though), Gladiator (DTS-X), X-Men Dark Phoenix (HDR10+), Birds of Prey (HDR10+) and Alita (again both DV/HDR10+ but defaults to HDR10+). Wonderful!

I would say one thing I'd love to figure out is how to make the TV/player default to DV when both DV & HDR10+ is available.

Turn off HDR10+ in the HDMI ports setup or turn off HDR10+ in the UHD player.
Unfortunately the Panasonic order of default preference is 1. HDR10+, 2 DV, 3 HDR10. So to get HDR10 you have to turn off HDR10+ and DV for those discs which have them all..

XeNoNF50

Turn off HDR10+ in the HDMI ports setup or turn off HDR10+ in the UHD player.
Unfortunately the Panasonic order of default preference is 1. HDR10+, 2 DV, 3 HDR10. So to get HDR10 you have to turn off HDR10+ and DV for those discs which have them all..
Figured as much. Turning it off on the player was how I watched the DV version of the discs which have both.

stephentw

You managed to send DTS over eARC? I didn't think they could do that!

XeNoNF50

You managed to send DTS over eARC? I didn't think they could do that!
I bought the TV under the impression that it wasn't possible. But I put gladiator on with player plugged into the TV and sound passing through eARC and it said DTS-X on my soundbar. It's passing through!

TurboRB

Novice Member
To update on my Experience with the 55" JZ1500, the audio skips / clicks that I heard on BBC HD channels and one 4K movie watch via the onboard Netflix app have not returned in 4 days of mixed content watching, and the TV is otherwise brilliant. No issues with anything through the Firestick passthrough Dennon AVR. So sticking with it a little longer in monitoring mode, I think its the same glitch that affected some GZ models?

Last edited:

monkeyboykev

Standard Member
I'm far from an expert but if your coming from HD content to UHD ......is your lan ethernet cable been upgraded to UHD so 4k UHD content can pass through it ? & if you have a 4k UHD player throw a disc in & see how that looks compare to your Sky Q stuff ....
Hey Stoodles74, thanks for the reply, I'm not very clued up on these things but based on your response are your suggesting i should have the TV connected to the internet via an ethernet cable? I dont have a 4kUHD player so can't check the quality when compared to UHD via SKY Q.

The TV & SKYQ etc are all connected to the internet via wifi but I've got fibre and the speeds are in excess of 40Mb

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Denon launches DHT-S517 Dolby Atmos soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Perlisten Audio launches loudspeaker ranges in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for February 2022