1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic - JL deals

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Harryson, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Harryson

Harryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Been learning from all the experience of the forum members over the last few months (Thanks all), and finally took the plunge this afternoon. Wanted to share current good deal for anyone else on the cusp, who like me really wants the assurance of a long warranty and a physical, local retailer if anything goes wrong, but with a really good deal (not much to ask...?!!!)

Jown Lewis Watford have just done me the Panny 37'' 5B for £2939 including the 5 year warranty!, plus £185 for the stand. I didn't need to mess about with a price match (not that I could find a non-web retailer cheaper anyway!)

If you go in - ignore the sticker prices, which still say £3994 for the 37+stand+tuner, and get one of the sales assistants to look up the real prices on the system (madness, for the poor people that don't ask!)

I went for the 37'', as it doesn't show up weak TV signals as much as the 42'' (given we watch 90% TV and only 10% DVD!)(the 'better-half' prefers it too).

When I get it, I'll let you know what it's like. In the meantime I'm off to scour the forum for the best set-up for connecting it with my NTL, DVD and Video.

To help me out though - any owners who've got it working like a dream, I'd appreciate some quick shortcut advice on:

- best connection set-up?
    - Is it worth getting a Sony or Yamaha amp to push all of the video and sound sources through? or better to go direct? (I'm going to invest in a surround sound system anyway)

Cheers,

Harry

2. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Sorry, I don't know whats 'best' but I'm well happy with my Sony 1070 amp (no longer current) & Pascal speakers. As others have said the remote's difficult to come to terms with, and it's bloody cunfuseing (not to mention expensive) wireing it all together. However, I found a cheap supplier of 'good quality' leads on ebay. I don't supose they're well reviewed (or should I say reviewed at all, as they don't seem to have a name on them) but they're ofc leads with Gold plated plugs, they must be better than the crap supplied.

3. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks for the information.
    I am now very confused, I was just about to hand over £4,000 for a fujitsu 4242 (tomorrow), with only 1 year warranty as I could not find a pan 37" for a sensible price.
    I assume the price did not include the tuner, if not how did you manage to get the 5 year guarantee. The JL near me states you must purchase the tuner to have the 5 year guarantee.

4. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe Richer Sounds are selling the Panny 37" for £2699 at the moment, their optional warranty is £250.

Monty.

5. roofer

roofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi harryson, i know it!s in the wrong section but u asked, anyway as far as your amp goes between the yammy & sony i would plump for the yamaha as sony can sound very bright, & power claims are a bit ott as far as speaker choice really depends on budget are u thinking satalite or full size speakers , the later being better if u can have the room. regards

6. Harryson

Harryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,

No tuner box in that price - but why get it when it's a rather expensive switch-box? (according to the research I've done in the forum here from guys that know!) I had the same thing at JL High Wycombe - they said no to the 5 yr warranty without the tuner box - they just don't listen when you tell them that an analogue source is useless in the world of Sky & Cable digital TV!. But the guys at Watford seem far more relaxed. I specifically asked about the 5 year warranty four different times during the conversation and at the end of the order process when he took my credit card, and the guy said catagoric yes.

I think you may have to be quick though, the guy at JL watford also said that they only had 8 screens in stock and he didn't know if the price of the new stock would be so low (there has been a little price war in Watford going over Christmas, which is also why I never got the same price quote from the other JL branch on Saturday).

Monty
    - Yes, good point, infact I was going to go with RS at that price, until I read here about someone who already bought one, but it turned out to be a European EX version, with slightly different warranty terms, and to be honest, I don't want to shell out this kind on money and have any doubts whatsoever.

7. Harryson

Harryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Roofer. You're right - I need to go to the other forum for pure amp advice. What I wanted from the Plasma owners here was a view on using an amp to aggregate the video signals into the panny. Particularly if there may be some lipsync issues (although I hope not!), in which case my choice of amp will be swayed to one with sync capabilities. Which amps do this?

8. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, each to their own I suppose . . . as someone who drives an imported car I guess I'm more relaxed about that kind of thing than others . . . enjoy your new screen though, hopefully I'll be joining you soon as a fellow plasma owner ;)

9. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Harryson!!!!!!

I definately owe you a pint. I was going to order my 37" panny on Mon, when I saw your thread. Having spoken to 6 JL branches trying to get a price match (Unsuccessfully). I decided to put it off for a day as JL Watford are shut on Mon. After getting the usual about selling it only with the tuner, I managed to get one. And over the phone as well. Even better I was told it was the last one they had!! So thanks alot for the peace of mind.

10. ispeed40

ispeed40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

11. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Your 42" Speedy.

I decided on the 37" for the time being until the resolution for HD DVD is decided on. And then it will be relegated to the bedroom. I believe HD DVD will be a reality in 2 years hence making the expense of a 42" not worthwhile at the moment. PLUS a 42" wouldn't fit in, in my bedroom. The 5 year is the selling point, many plasma warrantee's cost up to £900 for 5 years. ALSO it is only £239 more than the cheapest price. £2699 from RS, who are selling Euro imports as British product. With RTB warrantees.

No real choice as far as I can see!!

12. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    News update on this folks, as it was me who had the problem. I found that it was impossible to sort anything out with RS on the phone, however once I staggered into the store after the New Year it was sorted out in a jiffy. Very impressed.

To wit:

They will supply me with a UK model when they become available, they have had 500 on order with Panasonic UK since October and they've only been shipped 50. I can keep the Euro model until they do source a UK one, and they will do the 3 year warranty for half price. RESULT!

jamie

13. GuitarGray

GuitarGray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok now im worried
    got my panny 42 delivered today on the box it says th42pw5ex
    does this mean rs gave me an imported one and whats the differences ahould i worry?
    complain?
    or what?

14. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry JamieD

I hadn't read your thread. Actually it was Roland at PRC Direct that told me that, and having checked a friends RS Plasma it was an EX model.

GuitarGray according to both Jamie and PRC the EX models have return to base warranties that you have to pay transport for. The B model are UK and have on site and replacement models. See JamieD for further details.

15. Harryson

Harryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GoNads - glad to have helped. I see you had a Similar logic to me for getting the 37''. I've been looking at buying one of these things for over a year now (when the cheapest Panny 37'' was £4k!), pondering about resolutions, screen size, tuners or not, etc, etc , etc! But there comes a time when you just gotta jump! Now I can't wait for it to arrive! Any news on the stand delivery time when you ordered? I was told end Jan.

JamieD - glad you got the Euro thing sorted. It's a real good deal then, although I'm still happy at the compromise on price with the 5 year warranty security.

Cheers,
    Harry

16. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, that's the manufacturers warranty, which is a belts-and-braces thing, if something does go wrong then you get Richer Sounds to arrange and pay for the courier, after all it's them who you have the contract with.

We'll see in practise, mind.

17. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If people are unsure whether to buy a grey import from Richer Sounds because of manufacturers warranty, why not simply take out Richer's own plasma warranty . . .it's only £250 for three years, so the overall price should still be very competitive.