Panasonic "Infinite Black" Can Someone Please Explain?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Suave, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    Hi All,

As most will be aware, Panasonic will be bringing out their new plasmas over the next few months - They are touting something called "Infinite Black" which kind of implies truly total blacks when watching content on these screens. I am not that savvy on these technical matters but apparently here is how a Panasonic spokesperson described it:

"The Panasonic rep we talked to explained that Infinite Black caused the TVs, when displaying a completely black screen, to basically fade down to nothing, as if the TV was turned off. "

Link: Entry-level Panasonic plasmas get Infinite Black | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs

If I understand the above correctly (and maybe I do not), the only time this "Infinite Black" trickery works is when the content on the screen has to be fully and 100% black - so the moment ANY other colour or detail to the picture is added, the feature is void?

Seeing as there will not be many instances when any content being viewed will be a all black, all of the time and in reality, rarely is for more than a moment or two, is this not a completely and utterly useless feature? What is the point of it - it does absolutely no good whatsoever in a real life situation. Unless someone can explain what I maybe missing or not understanding, this "Infinite Black" feature sounds just like a snake oil marketing gimmick by Panasonic - which is a shame.

Suave!

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    The way I see it, it's on a par with the way some LCD manufacturers claim 50000:1 CRs by turning everything off.
    I really wouldn't read too much into it :thumbsdow

Fwiw, my Panny 50PZ70 isn't that good for blacks (shock, horror), imo.

Was that classed as entry level?

The proof will be in the pudding, imo.
    And I'm not holding my breath :rolleyes:

3. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    Snake oil marketing.

Interestingly it says it will fade out to look like it's turned off with a fully black screen. Problem is (from looking at the photos of the displays) that the screen is really very grey and not black at all!

4. xit2050

xit2050

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    Marketing talk.

5. late8

late8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    The Infinite black seems to only occur when the screen is totally black apparently- not shure if it does so when you get instances where writing etc is displayed on a solid black background?? Trouble is in pursuit of black, plasma manufactures have not concentrated on WHITE! - Panasonic in particular show grey/ green on solid white backgrounds. Dirty / Dim whites are a real bug bare on my Panasonic.