Question Panasonic HZ980 vs LG CX

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Hi all
Wow, it's been 5 years!😱
Finally looking at buying an OLED, had set my mind on the LG CX but black crush is a worry, the Panasonic have better PQ but can't afford the HZ150.
So as I cant find a trustworthy review I need to know the pros and cons of the HZ980 vs CX, on Gaming the CX wins, but is the Panasonic better with near black, detail and colour enough to make up for lack 120hz etc of the LG?.

I honestly can't believe it's been so long.

Hi I've had a Panasonic GZ950 for a year and a half now and the picture quality is outstanding the HZ980 is basically the same as the GZ950 with eARC added I'm not a gamer so I can't answer the lack of 120hz. I will say panasonics app support is poor no Disney plus or now tv but a 4k firestick for £34.99 at the moment solves that one.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Hi I've had a Panasonic GZ950 for a year and a half now and the picture quality is outstanding the HZ980 is basically the same as the GZ950 with eARC added I'm not a gamer so I can't answer the lack of 120hz. I will say panasonics app support is poor no Disney plus or now tv but a 4k firestick for £34.99 at the moment solves that one.
Thanks for that dion👍
So I ended up going with a Sony A85 lol Panasonic was too much and tge Sony isn't far off PQ wise, marginally better than the LG from all the research and asking around.
120hz etc with the LG nearly had me, but overall PQ is more important for me, I dont game a huge amount anymore so would regret not getting better colour and blacks, most probably wouldn't see the difference but after years of multiple plasmas I'm really picky lol.

B3anstar

Most games are aiming for 60hz not 120 (console not PC) so wouldn't factor that in. The VRR seems to be a noticeable help with games that have screen tearing though (early Valhalla i'm looking at you).

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the responses, went for a Sony 55" A85 from Currys, wow what a TV, very happy with it, Gaming's great, the interface so simple and quick to use, films in HDR are amazing on it.😯🙂

Attachments

• 16155593813315818099309976991677.jpg
    16155593813315818099309976991677.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 83

KingDoover

Standard Member
Thanks for the responses, went for a Sony 55" A85 from Currys, wow what a TV, very happy with it, Gaming's great, the interface so simple and quick to use, films in HDR are amazing on it.😯🙂
I was in my local store the other day and I have to say that the Sony A8 did look brilliant... I'm still undecided whether the wait for the Panasonic HZ1000 to further drop in price or to go ahead with the Sony A8... 🤔

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom