Panasonic HZ2000 OLED Owners Thread

mseabroo

Good point, that would be a big draw for people
The LG Panels with the heatsink are actually based on the Panasonic design / process (It was confirmed as part of the LG Display announcement) and have been made available with the blessing/co-operation of Panasonic. So I would assume that they are going to be very similar performance wise to the GZ/HZ2000's. Although interestingly Sony announced their new flagship range yesterday and the OLEDS will be using the high brightness panels with the Acoustic Surface design, so avoiding the bulk of the Panny models. Even more interesting though, Sony talked about changing the drive pattern to use more of the RGB and not just the W pixel at high brightness to preserve more of the colour saturation at peak brightness. Will be interesting to see if Panny are following suite once more detail emerges. Otherwise panel wise there may be little change from 2020 and to will be down to processing improvements / HDMI 2.1 features for this years models. With the new Processor fingers crossed that they may finally eliminate the micro
stutter

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Even more interesting though, Sony talked about changing the drive pattern to use more of the RGB and not just the W pixel at high brightness to preserve more of the colour saturation at peak brightness.
I think what they're trying to infer there is that these displays will have a higher colour volume, than conventional OLED displays. Something that's always been an Achilles heal for OLED, when HDR content is concerned. That said, colour volume is more than just the brightness of colours, it's also the range of colours or gamut covered.
That aside, one would assume that Panasonic have already been driving the RGB sub pixels harder on their *X2000 models, as it wouldn't make much sense to just drive the white sub pixel harder to increase peak white brightness.
It's not something I've ever thought about until recently and I have the tools to measure colour volume on my GZ2000, and I really should do so.

Paul

mseabroo

I think what they're trying to infer there is that these displays will have a higher colour volume, than conventional OLED displays. Something that's always been an Achilles heal for OLED, when HDR content is concerned. That said, colour volume is more than just the brightness of colours, it's also the range of colours or gamut covered.
That aside, one would assume that Panasonic have already been driving the RGB sub pixels harder on their *X2000 models, as it wouldn't make much sense to just drive the white sub pixel harder to increase peak white brightness.
It's not something I've ever thought about until recently and I have the tools to measure colour volume on my GZ2000, and I really should do so.

Paul
Yes exactly in terms of colour volume. My understanding was that on the current panels that for high brightness/HDR that only the W and any two of the RGB pixels, essentially driving the W pixel harder to push up the peak brightness are driven concurrently, resulting in a drop in colour volume at the high end.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Yes exactly in terms of colour volume. My understanding was that on the current panels that for high brightness/HDR that only the W and any two of the RGB pixels, essentially driving the W pixel harder to push up the peak brightness are driven concurrently, resulting in a drop in colour volume at the high end.
Yes, I think that's certainly the theory with colour volume dropping, at the far reaches of the display's gamut coverage.
It should be pretty easy to demonstrate and I could do it for DCI P3 and REC.2020 coverage.

Paul

gnollo

Thanks Wesslan. Price aside, as I am not sure that 2021 prices have been announced yet, it seems to me that the major differences between Sony and Panasonic will remain better motion handling (Sony) vs better near black performance (Panasonic). I am assuming that the brightness levels will be much closer this year, but again, it is just an assumption based on the rumours / early reports.

Duncanc

Thanks Wesslan. Price aside, as I am not sure that 2021 prices have been announced yet, it seems to me that the major differences between Sony and Panasonic will remain better motion handling (Sony) vs better near black performance (Panasonic). I am assuming that the brightness levels will be much closer this year, but again, it is just an assumption based on the rumours / early reports.
Re motion handling. I found the hz2000 unwatchable at first. I can’t stand any amount of frame creation, but with it turned off there’s a subtle blurring that was making me feel travel sick. I tried turning on the black frame insertion and it worked miracles! Motion is now very smooth.

I have this on my Sony hw50 Projector, which is about 7 or 8 yrs old and it’s ok, but can get a little strobey. The tech has obviously advanced a great deal as my eye doesn’t perceive the hz2000s black frames at all (set to auto).

nightrhyme

From my experience there is much more to Panasonic oleds than added brightness.

The calibration, the near black details, the sheer naturalness of the image.

I find the promise of brighter lg and Sony oleds promising. But I have no intention of buying any. I will be waiting for the Panasonic competitor. I especially would love a 83” Panasonic oled.

wesslan

Re motion handling. I found the hz2000 unwatchable at first. I can’t stand any amount of frame creation, but with it turned off there’s a subtle blurring that was making me feel travel sick. I tried turning on the black frame insertion and it worked miracles! Motion is now very smooth.

I have this on my Sony hw50 Projector, which is about 7 or 8 yrs old and it’s ok, but can get a little strobey. The tech has obviously advanced a great deal as my eye doesn’t perceive the hz2000s black frames at all (set to auto).
Problem is BFI isn't good for any HDR if you don't mind a very much lower brightness.

Duncanc

Problem is BFI isn't good for any HDR if you don't mind a very much lower brightness.
Ah... gives with one hand, takes away with the other, hey. Thanks for the heads up.

I’ve been toggling the BFI and tbh I don’t see a lot of difference in brightness. I’m a tv editor and while that certainly doesn’t afford me any particular knowledge in screen tech I do have a pretty keen eye and I think the difference is negligible. Moreover, the improvement in motion is far greater than the loss in brightness imho, so I’ll stick with the BFI.

Duncanc

For some reason my virgin box and nvidia shield are both saying my hz2000’s max res is 1080.

Any ideas what setting on the Penny I need to look at?

thanks!

Karlos1965

Novice Member
Need some advice please.
I'm torn between the 65 inch HZ 2000 and HZ 1500. Is the 2000 worth the extra £800 or does the 1500 give better "bang for your buck"?

IMS77

Novice Member
Ah... gives with one hand, takes away with the other, hey. Thanks for the heads up.

I’ve been toggling the BFI and tbh I don’t see a lot of difference in brightness. I’m a tv editor and while that certainly doesn’t afford me any particular knowledge in screen tech I do have a pretty keen eye and I think the difference is negligible. Moreover, the improvement in motion is far greater than the loss in brightness imho, so I’ll stick with the BFI.
Where are you having motion handling issues?
I've been using my 55 inch for a couple of weeks now and haven't noticed any stuttering or blurring. Once I customised my settings everything in 4K, HD and SD has been great.

CaptainJames

Need some advice please.
I'm torn between the 65 inch HZ 2000 and HZ 1500. Is the 2000 worth the extra £800 or does the 1500 give better "bang for your buck"?

The eternal question! Only you can answer it. If you have a separate surround sound system, then get the HZ1000 (cue the "why not get the HZ980 then brigade!) . If you need a decent sound system with your TV, then go for the HZ2000.

AndyH

The eternal question! Only you can answer it. If you have a separate surround sound system, then get the HZ1000 (cue the "why not get the HZ980 then brigade!) . If you need a decent sound system with your TV, then go for the HZ2000.

I nearly went 1000 with that logic, but in the end I went the (big) stretch to the 2000 for peace of mind re burn in (knowing this is not an absolute guarantee and I’ll never know if the 1000 would ever have suffered).

I remember how I felt when I first spotted the Sky News logo in my VT50 and I am happily paying a premium to help mitigate feeling that again.

Plus knowing it is just a bit “better” helps :)

Also I sweat these things, in many years it will be a spare room telly where there isn’t a separate surround system, at which point it will pay off just a little bit more!

Duncanc

Where are you having motion handling issues?
I've been using my 55 inch for a couple of weeks now and haven't noticed any stuttering or blurring. Once I customised my settings everything in 4K, HD and SD has been great.

Smearing!

As soon as I turned off intelligent frame creation (even minimal IFC was soap opera), then there was motion blur/smearing on all sources/resolutions. Though subtle, the eye picks up on it and causes slight nausea.

It’s not imagined, because as soon as I turn on BFI the smearing is gone along with nausea. Perhaps I’m simply more sensitive to it since I watch tv all day for a living, but it’s definitely there.

Last edited:

Duncanc

Crappy HDMI cable(s)?!

Paul
It’s high spec cables going from the virgin box and nvidia shield to a Denon x2300w AVR, which then for from the Monitor1 output to the telly’s earc input HDMI 2 (as I understand it I need to go into HDMI 2 in order for the earc to loop the tv audio back to the AVR).

But you never know, might be a defective cable. Just wondered if anyone new another reason this might happen before buying new cables.

cheers!

CaptainJames

It’s high spec cables going from the virgin box and nvidia shield to a Denon x2300w AVR, which then for from the Monitor1 output to the telly’s earc input HDMI 2 (as I understand it I need to go into HDMI 2 in order for the earc to loop the tv audio back to the AVR).

But you never know, might be a defective cable. Just wondered if anyone new another reason this might happen before buying new cables.

cheers!

Do you have a 4K Enhanced setting on the x2300?

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
So it's a certified Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable?

But you never know, might be a defective cable.
It certainly could be and it's also possible it's just failed.

There's no need to buy a new cable. Just try another known working cable. To verify it's working, plug it in to your Shield and TV directly and playback some Dolby Vision content. About as good a performance test for a cable as any.

Paul

Duncanc

So it's a certified Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable?

It certainly could be and it's also possible it's just failed.

There's no need to buy a new cable. Just try another known working cable. To verify it's working, plug it in to your Shield and TV directly and playback some Dolby Vision content. About as good a performance test for a cable as any.

Paul
Yep, dodgy cables! Swapped them out for a known working cable and 4k works. Ordered a bunch of them. Thanks to everyone for your help. Been working in telly for 20 years and I’m still pants at everything technical beyond the software I use.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett