Panasonic HZ2000 OLED Owners Thread

Panasonic hz2000 65, B and W speakers, Denon x8500 and SVS 4000PB

Front speakers driven by 30 year old Technics Pre And Power Amp

Plus 13 atmos speakers
20201221_180935.jpg

rec2020 color remaster on HDR content. Do you guys keep it ON or OFF ?

I find colours a little pale without but then again maybe a little to saturated with it ON ...

What do you guys use ?

rec2020 color remaster on HDR content. Do you guys keep it ON or OFF ?

I find colours a little pale without but then again maybe a little to saturated with it ON ...

What do you guys use ?

Prett sure default is off so "off" it is :)

Prett sure default is off so "off" it is :)
Well I discovered something.

I always used NORMAL mode for HDR as it goes much brighter.
And ADVANCED CONTROLS isn´t available for NORMAL mode.
But for FILMMAKER it is and here colour space is already set to REC2020 so colorremaster.rec2020 has no effect here.
So unavailable and default colour space for HDR NORMAL mode must be rec709 so colorremaster.rec2020 just corrects it. So colours now look exactly the same on FILMMAKER and NORMAL mode.
NORMAL mode just goes way brighter even with the same HDR BRIGHTNESS settings...

I'm also curious about what gamma setting you guys prefer for standard content?
I see its default 2.2 in FILMMAKER HDR
and default bt.1886 FILMMAKER STD. I find that little too dark. So I use 2.3 for now

Well I discovered something.

I always used NORMAL mode for HDR as it goes much brighter.
And ADVANCED CONTROLS isn´t available for NORMAL mode.
But for FILMMAKER it is and here colour space is already set to REC2020 so colorremaster.rec2020 has no effect here.
So unavailable and default colour space for HDR NORMAL mode must be rec709 so colorremaster.rec2020 just corrects it. So colours now look exactly the same on FILMMAKER and NORMAL mode.
NORMAL mode just goes way brighter even with the same HDR BRIGHTNESS settings...

So now you know that it is possible to adjust white balance for HDR.

No need to apologise ;)

So now you know that it is possible to adjust white balance for HDR.

No need to apologise ;)
Not in normal mode. You should have specified filmmaker if this was you meant. But since you don’t own the particular tv we happen to be discussing, any comments of yours is of no importance to me.

LOL if Panasonic new 2020 flagship OLED doesn't have HDMI 2.1
That would cost them loads of sales

Going by this sony new 2020 OLED also doesn't have HDMI 2.1 :eek:
Sony A9 4K OLED TV Preview
Even the Sony A8 hasn't HDMI 2.1 yet, but they have done a firmware update on some of there tvs H something lol and ive heard there going to do A8 and the A9 which i wish they done in a 65 inch. I seen the 65 inch A8 Tv in the flesh what a beautiful tv and picture.

I got in touch with Panasonic UK asking why there putting freesat tuners in there tvs with no epg freesat menu and why the HDMIs wasn't 2.1 and when would they be doing a firmware update for these 2 issues. There response was fast which took my breath away lol but there reply brung it back again, Get yourself a freesat box lol. There won't be no firmware update for HDMI on any of the panasonic tv's. I said to myself what a doughnut and replyed back saying if what's the point putting freesat tuners in your tvs as you could make them cheaper and not doing a firmware update for the hdmi issue you's will lose loyal panasonic customers in there droves, there response still waiting. ass wipes

Not in normal mode. You should have specified filmmaker if this was you meant. But since you don’t own the particular tv we happen to be discussing, any comments of yours is of no importance to me.

I appreciate you are a bit embarrassed, but your continued arsey responses do you no favours.

I got in touch with Panasonic UK asking why there putting freesat tuners in there tvs with no epg freesat menu and why the HDMIs wasn't 2.1 and when would they be doing a firmware update for these 2 issues. There response was fast which took my breath away lol but there reply brung it back again, Get yourself a freesat box lol. There won't be no firmware update for HDMI on any of the panasonic tv's. I said to myself what a doughnut and replyed back saying if what's the point putting freesat tuners in your tvs as you could make them cheaper and not doing a firmware update for the hdmi issue you's will lose loyal panasonic customers in there droves, there response still waiting. ass wipes
With you on the Freesat guide, makes no sense to include the HW but then no deploy the guide. Other than Panny saving some money on the licensing and having to maintain the SW. Would be a real selling point for me, get rid of the separate Sat box and used the TV with a USB drive for recordings. So begrudge paying for the HW knowing it's been crippled in software. I doubt this will get any traction though with Customer Services, needs to be directed higher up in the management chain. I doubt though that there are a significant amount of customers making noise about it, so unlikely to change

With you on the Freesat guide, makes no sense to include the HW but then no deploy the guide. Other than Panny saving some money on the licensing and having to maintain the SW. Would be a real selling point for me, get rid of the separate Sat box and used the TV with a USB drive for recordings. So begrudge paying for the HW knowing it's been crippled in software. I doubt this will get any traction though with Customer Services, needs to be directed higher up in the management chain. I doubt though that there are a significant amount of customers making noise about it, so unlikely to change
I seem to remember that the GZ2000 had the same issue, no guide, so that seems to be a feature choice on Panasonic's side.

I seem to remember that the GZ2000 had the same issue, no guide, so that seems to be a feature choice on Panasonic's side.
Yes your right its been a long standing choice / omission by Panasonic, was the same right back to the Plasma days, so doubt it will change. Still annoying even so.

Yeah bugs me about EPG for Freesat,since it was on my DX 902 it replaced,oh well I could run through to the DX In the bedroom look at the EPG and go back to the Hz to record it, simple🤸

Seems we all have a small thing we wished the panny supported.

I just wish it supported DTS decoding. Then it would be the perfect tv.

Well, in the end it's still the best oled tv available

Last edited:
Looks like Sony is following Panasonic by adding heatsinks to offer higher peak brightness and protection against burn-in in 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Sony is following Panasonic by adding heatsinks to offer higher peak brightness and protection against burn-in in 2021.

Actually, LG Displays have added the heatsink.

Last edited by a moderator:
The higher peak brightness the GZ/ HZ2000 achieve requires more than just a heatsink. There's a bespoke power supply, to drive the panel too.

It's interesting to understand how the other manufacturers came about the heatsink. Did they just buy a Panasonic display and tear it down? Or did the collaborate with Panasonic, using their design? Same goes for the power supply, as reverse engineering that wouldn't be difficult either.

Paul

The higher peak brightness the GZ/ HZ2000 achieve requires more than just a heatsink. There's a bespoke power supply, to drive the panel too.

It's interesting to understand how the other manufacturers came about the heatsink. Did they just buy a Panasonic display and tear it down? Or did the collaborate with Panasonic, using their design? Same goes for the power supply, as reverse engineering that wouldn't be difficult either.

Paul

I suspect they reverse engineered it.

I’ll be interested to see if others manage to do it but with a slimmer design. It was a issue for my missus that the Panny was so bulky, any manufacturer that can do it but with a slimmer design would help differentiate it for those wanting to wall mount.

I’ll be interested to see if others manage to do it but with a slimmer design. It was a issue for my missus that the Panny was so bulky, any manufacturer that can do it but with a slimmer design would help differentiate it for those wanting to wall mount.
Ah yes but, don't forget, part of that bulk is down to the up firing speakers and they probably used more space than they needed for those to get a certain look.
If Sony and/ or LG produce a TV with the 'custom' screen, sans Atmos speakers, if all the comment you read in the *Z2000 threads are from actually buyers who don't want the integrated sound system, they'll sell a ton of them.

Paul

Ah yes but, don't forget, part of that bulk is down to the up firing speakers and they probably used more space than they needed for those to get a certain look.
If Sony and/ or LG produce a TV with the 'custom' screen, sans Atmos speakers, if all the comment you read in the *Z2000 threads are from actually buyers who don't want the integrated sound system, they'll sell a ton of them.

Paul
Good point, that would be a big draw for people

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom