Panasonic HZ2000 Flagship OLED TV Review & Comments

this year unfortunately all 65" have problems but I think that with the hz2000 things have gone even worse...

Great insight. However, are the 55" having the same problems? If not, what are the possible reasons why they can get it right at that size and not 65"?

Great insight. However, are the 55" having the same problems? If not, what are the possible reasons why they can get it right at that size and not 65"?

Even in the past the 55" panels was more uniform, no one can know for sure why, certainly the stop and therefore the production delay due to the pandemic did not allow LG to discard the worst panels as he probably would have done in a normal situation

Does the Amazon app provide hdr10+ ?

I'm waiting on stock coming in for the 55inch from JL. Is the 55 inch panel having the same tinting issues as the 65 highlighted in the owners thread?

It's not correct to state that all 65" panels this year have problems. There are many happy owners out there, it's just that unhappy ones will always be more vocal, understandably so.

The Panasonic HZ2000 has won the AVForums Best TV guys.
I definitely WANT this TV but holding out for (hopefully) minimal tint-affected units.

65 inch versions are available again in JL, spoke to one of the customer service agents and they said that stock for the 55 inch should be available towards the end of December.

What are the best picture settings for daytime viewing or bright room?

I'm waiting on stock coming in for the 55inch from JL. Is the 55 inch panel having the same tinting issues as the 65 highlighted in the owners thread?
I got the 55 inch from JL about 3 weeks ago, I've noticed a very slight red/pink tint on the left side of the screen during white/grey scenes but tbh it's barely noticeable, amazing TV once you dial in the screen to your liking. Only niggle so far is the slight stuttering during sideways pans on TV broadcast shows. 4K HDR 60fps is incredible.

I got the 55 inch from JL about 3 weeks ago, I've noticed a very slight red/pink tint on the left side of the screen during white/grey scenes but tbh it's barely noticeable, amazing TV once you dial in the screen to your liking. Only niggle so far is the slight stuttering during sideways pans on TV broadcast shows. 4K HDR 60fps is incredible.
How often is the stuttering and are there any settings available to resolve this?

How often is the stuttering and are there any settings available to resolve this?
I dont notice so much watching blu Ray movies or 4K content but mainly on normal TV broadcasts and only on some programs like American Chopper and wheeler Dealers in HD, I turned off both Intelligent frame creation and Black frame insertion and its less noticeable.
I went back and forth with -do I buy the Sony a9 or the Panasonic for Months but decided on the Panny as I already have a Panasonic Plasma and it's been brilliant. If you watch lots of movies the hz2000 is definitely the right choice, if you can be bothered with normal telly the Sony is probably a better choice especially if a little stuttering bothers you. I watched Dawn of the planet of the Apes 2014 Blu Ray last night from my Cambridge CXU and the picture was staggeringly good, a real feast for the eyes followed by some -I'm a celebrity on ITV HD, the dark atmospheric shots inside the castle on the challenge stages reminded me I made the right choice with the Panasonic, I normally hate I'm a celebrity but watching it on the OLED HZ2000 was mesmerising with the shadow detail and colour. And ..personally I actually like the TV OS, it works beautifully and much prefer it to my parents Android on their Sony.

I have also noticed over the last few days the barely noticeable red tint (and I really mean barely noticeable) on the left of the screen does not seem to be there anymore, its pure white as far as my eyes can tell. I did have a few issues with white flare especially from daylight background windows scenes and some sky scenes which have also settled down now, I've found that using the custom preset (for normal HD TV) alleviates this problem whilst still giving a very natural 3D esq type of picture quality.
I use custom preset on =Lum 64, contrast 90, brightness 0, colour 50, sharp 52, colour temp warm 1, vivid colour on, remaster off, amb sensor on, noise reduction all on auto, IFC & BFI off. I use in a dimly lit room and these settings (on this TV) seem to suit me and is closest to my previous Panny Plasma.

I've been lurking in this thread for a week or so, trying to make up my mind about this tv. Finally deciding to get it! It's obviously out of stock everywhere, but on the JL page, if you scroll down below the 'out of stock' statement there's an option to 'check in-store stock' and there's 3 or 4 stores with 1 left. I managed to nab one of these from a london branch. The salesman on the phone assured me this was not a display or return item - that it was unopened in the stockroom and it'll be with me next week.

I'm hoping no one here has reason to tell me that's a mistake and that there's a reason not to buy the 'one left in-store' tv... But if so, then i'd appreciate that heads up, as i can still cancel. If not, then i suggest anyone not willing to hold out on the hope that a new late December batch is tint-free and at the same 2200 price, then check out the in-store stock on JL.

Side note... I asked about the JL famous return policy, asking that since i've not had the opportunity to view this tv in store, if it's not to my liking for any reason am ok to return it, no questions?

Worryingly, he said i can only do that if it hasn't been switched on and returned to it's box without any signs of opening it... Was i wrong about this, or was he? I asked if this was because i was making a telephone purchase from store stock and he said no, that applies to online purchase too; that once used they'd have to sell it at a discount. Well, i appreciate that, but i thought the attraction of JL was that you could indeed return even if used, so long as there was no damage (hence their constant in-store 'manager's special' section).

An earlier conversation with JL customer service told me that online, telephone and in-store purchases all had the same return rule regarding the return window being until Jan 28. I failed to ask that person exactly what that policy was, assuming it's fine to return even if used.

Anyhow, looking forward to getting the telly. The draw for me was obviously the reviewed pic quality and extra tweaked brightness. Though i'd rather not have paid extra for its built in sound system, as i won't use it.

Any tips, or links to calibration for a living room setting (sometimes bright, but often lowish light - never blackout cinema conditions; i usually have led strip light behind the tv on dim-yellow to alleviate contrast induced eyestrain -- a gimmick i got used to and now can't go without after owning a Philips ambilight for several years. When i swapped that for a Samsung KS9500 i missed the ambilight so much i bought the strip lights. I'm guessing it'll be seen as sacrilege to put strip lights behind this premium telly, but i stare at monitors all day and need to do whatever i can to mitigate the eyestrain.

Fingers crossed i get a tint-free panel (famous last words).

I've been lurking in this thread for a week or so, trying to make up my mind about this tv. Finally deciding to get it! It's obviously out of stock everywhere, but on the JL page, if you scroll down below the 'out of stock' statement there's an option to 'check in-store stock' and there's 3 or 4 stores with 1 left. I managed to nab one of these from a london branch. The salesman on the phone assured me this was not a display or return item - that it was unopened in the stockroom and it'll be with me next week.

I'm hoping no one here has reason to tell me that's a mistake and that there's a reason not to buy the 'one left in-store' tv... But if so, then i'd appreciate that heads up, as i can still cancel. If not, then i suggest anyone not willing to hold out on the hope that a new late December batch is tint-free and at the same 2200 price, then check out the in-store stock on JL.

Side note... I asked about the JL famous return policy, asking that since i've not had the opportunity to view this tv in store, if it's not to my liking for any reason am ok to return it, no questions?

Worryingly, he said i can only do that if it hasn't been switched on and returned to it's box without any signs of opening it... Was i wrong about this, or was he? I asked if this was because i was making a telephone purchase from store stock and he said no, that applies to online purchase too; that once used they'd have to sell it at a discount. Well, i appreciate that, but i thought the attraction of JL was that you could indeed return even if used, so long as there was no damage (hence their constant in-store 'manager's special' section).

An earlier conversation with JL customer service told me that online, telephone and in-store purchases all had the same return rule regarding the return window being until Jan 28. I failed to ask that person exactly what that policy was, assuming it's fine to return even if used.

Anyhow, looking forward to getting the telly. The draw for me was obviously the reviewed pic quality and extra tweaked brightness. Though i'd rather not have paid extra for its built in sound system, as i won't use it.

Any tips, or links to calibration for a living room setting (sometimes bright, but often lowish light - never blackout cinema conditions; i usually have led strip light behind the tv on dim-yellow to alleviate contrast induced eyestrain -- a gimmick i got used to and now can't go without after owning a Philips ambilight for several years. When i swapped that for a Samsung KS9500 i missed the ambilight so much i bought the strip lights. I'm guessing it'll be seen as sacrilege to put strip lights behind this premium telly, but i stare at monitors all day and need to do whatever i can to mitigate the eyestrain.

Fingers crossed i get a tint-free panel (famous last words).

No issues with buying the last TV in stock as long as it as been described to you - BNIB. With regard to the bias lighting, dim yellow is not the best. You really should have a 6500K led strip such as from Medialight.

That customer service advice seems really weird to me, very restrictive, strongly suggest you double-check this and if they change their mind then get something in writing/email from JL just in case you need to return.

JL have had some bad publicity for their outsourced customer service in recent years, they used to be excellent. They may have brought CS back in house now, not sure. If/when I can afford a similar TV, I was looking at buying from Richer Sounds who seem to have a very good reputation these days. The 55" HZ2000B is showing as £2299 on their Web site.

I'd always buy with a credit card for anything over £100 but you probably know that already.

HTH,

Hugh

I dont notice so much watching blu Ray movies or 4K content but mainly on normal TV broadcasts and only on some programs like American Chopper and wheeler Dealers in HD, I turned off both Intelligent frame creation and Black frame insertion and its less noticeable.
I went back and forth with -do I buy the Sony a9 or the Panasonic for Months but decided on the Panny as I already have a Panasonic Plasma and it's been brilliant. If you watch lots of movies the hz2000 is definitely the right choice, if you can be bothered with normal telly the Sony is probably a better choice especially if a little stuttering bothers you.

My viewing would be split 50/50 between Sky HD content (HD and SD) and Netflix/Amazon 4K. Will probably install Sky Q later next year.

I'm not really looking at any other Oleds as this seems to be the only panel (apart from GZ2000) that seems to have 20 to 30% higher brightness and includes a heatsink to dissipate heat to avoid screen burn-in.

That customer service advice seems really weird to me, very restrictive, strongly suggest you double-check this and if they change their mind then get something in writing/email from JL just in case you need to return.

JL have had some bad publicity for their outsourced customer service in recent years, they used to be excellent. They may have brought CS back in house now, not sure. If/when I can afford a similar TV, I was looking at buying from Richer Sounds who seem to have a very good reputation these days. The 55" HZ2000B is showing as £2299 on their Web site.

I'd always buy with a credit card for anything over £100 but you probably know that already.

HTH,

Hugh
I was also looking at Richer Sounds previously but their guarantee does not cover burn in. Only JLs protect plus covers burn in from what I am aware.

I was also looking at Richer Sounds previously but their guarantee does not cover burn in. Only JLs protect plus covers burn in from what I am aware.
Isn't the HZ2000 far less likely to burn in due to the massive heat sink on the back of the panel? That was one of its major attractions as my TV pipe dream.
Cheers,
Hugh

Isn't the HZ2000 far less likely to burn in due to the massive heat sink on the back of the panel? That was one of its major attractions as my TV pipe dream.
Cheers,
Hugh
Yes, you are correct it should reduce it. But I'd rather have some type of cover for peace of mind.

No issues with buying the last TV in stock as long as it as been described to you - BNIB. With regard to the bias lighting, dim yellow is not the best. You really should have a 6500K led strip such as from Medialight.
I’ve tied all the colours and I find a dim yellow the least distracting. Most other colours look like a knocking shop or a boy racer grotto. Will have a look at media light - thanks for the tip 👍

HTH,

Hugh
Good idea - ill double check with another CS. The person who told me I couldn’t return if used wasn’t CS, it was someone at the JL store itself. I’m guessing he was from the tv sales department.

I decided to take a chance and not bother with the extra screen burn warranty from JL, I've always been careful with my Plasma and never had any issues, you just need to be mindful of leaving something on pause for too long with bright images or things like BBC 4 early in the early morning when they leave a white static screen on for ages, noticed that last week but luckily caught it after 10 minutes as I wasn't actually watching the TV and the feed was coming from my Humax box (no screen saver) In any case the Panny has a screen saver built in so if watching content from the TV or on line apps an OLED screen saver pops up after a few mins and moves around the screen.
As for brightness I doubt you'll be left wanting in that department either, I've not once had my screen up to 100 on luminance even with HDR material, it just too bright for me, but it's nice to know its there if you want it.
I must say though I was a little underwhelmed by the sound from this TV when I first got it, the sound seemed very thin and hollow which considering I'd paid the extra for was disappointing. I had to put the bass up to +2-3 and treble +1 and nudge the correction up, and after running space sound detection a few times and telling it a few fibs eventually got it sounding a little better. I normally listen through my surround sound amp with movies but was still not happy with sound from the TV so decided to try the subwoofer thing on the headphone jack, luckily I have 2 inputs on my subwoofer as now I can just watch the TV without having to have the surround amp on, the sub made a BIG difference once you adjust the levels to your liking. The normal sound field works best most of the time and the music setting does help with music.
Over the last few weeks I have grown to like the TV more and more and the picture seems to have got better as well (I've heard it needs a 100 hours to settle down) and that does seem to be the case.
IMS77 and Duncanc trust me after 3-4 weeks of owning this set and once everything settles down you will love it.

Got the tv today. Boy is it heavy! I won't try and talk about pic quality etc just yet, but i have a question for the other owners...

When watching Netflix dolby vision material the tv automatically switches to its dolby vision mode. The colour and tone look stunning! However, this mode has frame interpolation (creating frames to smooth the motion) on as default. This gives that horrible soap opera look (sure it's not as bad as some tvs, but it still ruins the content).

Is there a way of switching off frame creation while in dolby vision mode? The frame interpolation toggle, along with many others, is greyed out.

If it can't be turned off then they've seriously shot themselves in the foot. With the likelihood of more content being dolby vision i'd rather swap this for a tv that won't make it all look like a wedding video, albeit with amazing colour and tone.

Got the tv today. Boy is it heavy! I won't try and talk about pic quality etc just yet, but i have a question for the other owners...

When watching Netflix dolby vision material the tv automatically switches to its dolby vision mode. The colour and tone look stunning! However, this mode has frame interpolation (creating frames to smooth the motion) on as default. This gives that horrible soap opera look (sure it's not as bad as some tvs, but it still ruins the content).

Is there a way of switching off frame creation while in dolby vision mode? The frame interpolation toggle, along with many others, is greyed out.

If it can't be turned off then they've seriously shot themselves in the foot. With the likelihood of more content being dolby vision i'd rather swap this for a tv that won't make it all look like a wedding video, albeit with amazing colour and tone.

Any tinting on the panel?

Looking at the manual, it states you should be able to turn off Intelligent frame creation settings in dolby vision mode, though maybe not if Netflix calibrated mode is set to ON. Haven't tried myself tho.

Capture34.PNG

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom