Panasonic HZ2000 Flagship OLED TV Review & Comments

lukather101

Strange to see so many criticisms of the price. My first plasma was £7,000 and that was 848x480 panel with no tuner and no speakers! My crappy 65EF950V retailed at £5,000 at launch.

So £4,000 seems pretty reasonable to me. So what if it's much more than the lg cx? In the scheme of things, over the life of the TV, the difference is peanuts IMO.

I get that some people think it's too much and that is fine, but it's not a ridiculous price. People pay £10k for a Rolex Submariner which doesn't even tell the time particularly well.
Still rocking my EF950 and it's far from crappy.
Obviously it's not comparable to today's sets but still doing a good job and the 3D is spectacular :thumbsup:

John Hother

At least here in Denmark, and I don´t know if it is the same in the UK. People wants the best, but they don´t want to pay for it. Actually I got the feeling among many AV-fans, that the cheapest simply is the best. It must be a kind of a new culture.

CaptainJames

At least here in Denmark, and I don´t know if it is the same in the UK. People wants the best, but they don´t want to pay for it. Actually I got the feeling among many AV-fans, that the cheapest simply is the best. It must be a kind of a new culture.
Not Danish, just human nature! I think value for money rather than price is the key consideration - I always remember the old adage "Buy cheap, buy twice".

Obviously the relative price of TV tech has reduced enormously over the years - I paid £2600 for my Panny ZT 7 years ago, and exactly the same amount for my HZ1000 in 2020.

As far as the HZ2000 is concerned, people look at the cost compared to the "lesser" HZ models, and weigh it up - are the additional speakers and tweaked panels worth the additional £1000 or so over the HZ1000?

For me, the answer was no - I have a 5.2.1 system which renders the TV speakers irrelevant. So was it worth it just for the brighter panel? Again for me no, but others will disagree and that's fine.

Chippy99

Still rocking my EF950 and it's far from crappy.
Obviously it's not comparable to today's sets but still doing a good job and the 3D is spectacular :thumbsup:
You obviously got a good one.

Mine is my 2nd one - I quickly returned the first because of very visible yellow stain. I kept the 2nd one, and in hindsight it's worse than the first. The staining is not so bad (but still very obvious) but the near-black performance and macro-blocking on poor content is truly shockingly awful. Laugh out loud bad. And unfortunately the 3D is knackered as well. The first one had perfect 3D but the one I have now suffers from terrible cross-talk due to some kind of panel misalignment.

It seems even in 2020 it's somewhat of a panel lottery and if the Panasonic HZ2000 offers any hope of minimising that - and all of the hassles of repeated RMAs - then I am happy to pay a premium for it.

wesslan

Tried the dreaded Marco Polo s01e03 14-16 min on netflix 4K DV since mindhunter dark room scene looked good and my hz2000 ate it all in a dark room without any hints at banding/vertical streaks and very nice shadowdetail on these panasonic. Very happy with 2020 panels compared to earlier years.

Chippy99

Tried the dreaded Marco Polo s01e03 14-16 min on netflix 4K DV since mindhunter dark room scene looked good and my hz2000 ate it all in a dark room without any hints at banding/vertical streaks and very nice shadowdetail on these panasonic. Very happy with 2020 panels compared to earlier years.
I had not watched that scene previously, so just tried it on my old 65EF950. Honestly, I was surprised to see it wasn't that bad. Clearly visible vertical banding, yes, but not so much that it was unwatchable. And some macro-blocking, but not much.

I have to say my TV is vastly better with Netflix than it is with e.g. Sky HD. And in particular with 4k and HDR content on Netflix. Maybe it's just due to the higher bitrates, I dunno.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
I had not watched that scene previously, so just tried it on my old 65EF950. Honestly, I was surprised to see it wasn't that bad. Clearly visible vertical banding, yes, but not so much that it was unwatchable. And some macro-blocking, but not much.

I have to say my TV is vastly better with Netflix than it is with e.g. Sky HD. And in particular with 4k and HDR content on Netflix. Maybe it's just due to the higher bitrates, I dunno.
If memory serves, the EF series had 8 bit colour depth in the low stimulus parts of the picture. That being the case, near black performance will always be inferior to the later models with 10 bit colour depth across the board.
That's not to take anything away from your EF, just giving context.

Paul

Chippy99

If memory serves, the EF series had 8 bit colour depth in the low stimulus parts of the picture. That being the case, near black performance will always be inferior to the later models with 10 bit colour depth across the board.
That's not to take anything away from your EF, just giving context.

Paul
Thanks - that's useful to know. (And no problem criticizing the EF BTW - in several respects, it's garbage.)

deon444

Distinguished Member
Thanks - that's useful to know. (And no problem criticizing the EF BTW - in several respects, it's garbage.)
I went through 13 ef950/eg960/920 and all were rubbish due to the near black performance, banding and tint.

The GZ2000/Hz0000 are night and day difference in picture performance vs 2015 sets in every way except 3d obviously. The GZ2000 i have is the cleanest panel I've had

Chippy99

I went through 13 ef950/eg960/920 and all were rubbish due to the near black performance, banding and tint.

The GZ2000/Hz0000 are night and day difference in picture performance vs 2015 sets in every way except 3d obviously. The GZ2000 i have is the cleanest panel I've had
Thanks for this - very encouraging. I am thinking of buying it from John Lewis with their "the customer is always right" sort of copper-bottomed customer service.

Do you think with a HZ2000, I am more *likely* to get a clean panel, than say a HZ1500 or HZ1000? I genuinely don't mind paying the extra for a tiny performance improvement and extra piece of mind, But if there's genuinely nothing between them, then maybe an HZ1000 would be fine? I have no need for any sound output, BTW. The speakers in my EF are unused!

CaptainJames

Thanks for this - very encouraging. I am thinking of buying it from John Lewis with their "the customer is always right" sort of copper-bottomed customer service.

Do you think with a HZ2000, I am more *likely* to get a clean panel, than say a HZ1500 or HZ1000? I genuinely don't mind paying the extra for a tiny performance improvement and extra piece of mind, But if there's genuinely nothing between them, then maybe an HZ1000 would be fine? I have no need for any sound output, BTW. The speakers in my EF are unused!
If you read through the thread, there are some complaints regarding HZ2000 panels; how representative these are I don't know.

All I can tell you factually is that my HZ1000 is clean, and for me a no brainer as I had no need for the HZ2000 speakers, I just wanted a "monitor" type panel.

Chippy99

If you read through the thread, there are some complaints regarding HZ2000 panels; how representative these are I don't know.
Strange - I did not see any. I just skimmed through the thread again and still do not find any such comments, but maybe I missed them again.

I do note (no idea how significant this is) however that the HZ2000 review here gets 9/10 for panel uniformity whereas one of the others (HZ1500 I think, but it may be HZ1000) gets 10/10.

I suspect this is sample variation however? My hope would be that the more "hand made" HZ2000 would have a better chance of having a great panel, but maybe that's a false hope?

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Strange - I did not see any. I just skimmed through the thread again and still do not find any such comments, but maybe I missed them again.

I do note (no idea how significant this is) however that the HZ2000 review here gets 9/10 for panel uniformity whereas one of the others (HZ1500 I think, but it may be HZ1000) gets 10/10.

I suspect this is sample variation however? My hope would be that the more "hand made" HZ2000 would have a better chance of having a great panel, but maybe that's a false hope?
I am getting my 3rd HZ2000 on Friday, the first 2 panels were shocking. Photos are in the thread.

Chippy99

I am getting my 3rd HZ2000 on Friday, the first 2 panels were shocking. Photos are in the thread.
Oh no! That's really depressing. Very depressing indeed. I had really hoped all that **** was behind us after the 5 years since I bought my EF.

This is not like changing a pair of shoes. Taking delivery, unpacking, installing, testing, boxing back up again and arranging the return of a 65" TV is a major bloody pain in the ****. That's why I ended up with the crappy thing I have now. I just could not be bothered to go through all of that AGAIN.

Chippy99

Slugsy, I am confused. What photos? What thread? You have only made 2 posts on the thread: this one and another one with no photos.

Ahhhhh, you must mean the owners thread. Sorry, I was being dim.

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Oh no! That's really depressing. Very depressing indeed. I had really hoped all that **** was behind us after the 5 years since I bought my EF.

This is not like changing a pair of shoes. Taking delivery, unpacking, installing, testing, boxing back up again and arranging the return of a 65" TV is a major bloody pain in the ****. That's why I ended up with the crappy thing I have now. I just could not be bothered to go through all of that AGAIN.
I am all for balance, other owners have had a better experience but you are right, it’s been a hell of an inconvenience and my wife is getting very annoyed!

I deliberately waited till JL got a new batch in, so fingers crossed this one on Friday is a good one!

Chippy99

I am all for balance, other owners have had a better experience but you are right, it’s been a hell of an inconvenience and my wife is getting very annoyed!

I deliberately waited till JL got a new batch in, so fingers crossed this one on Friday is a good one!
Thanks for highlighting this. Stupidly I had not yet looked on the owners' thread and what a depressing read that is. Honestly some of the HZ2000's look no better (arguably worse) than my 5+ year old 65EF950V. :-(

Doubtless the near-black is better with less banding, vignetting (maybe), false contours and macro blocks. But the uniformity is shocking. I cannot stand it when I see yellow snow or grass in a footy game which is visibly a different tint to the grass adjacent.

I am not spending £4k on yet another crap shoot and right now am wondering whether I need to wait for 2021... or 2022 or 2023.

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Thanks for highlighting this. Stupidly I had not yet looked on the owners' thread and what a depressing read that is. Honestly some of the HZ2000's look no better (arguably worse) than my 5+ year old 65EF950V. :-(

Doubtless the near-black is better with less banding, vignetting (maybe), false contours and macro blocks. But the uniformity is shocking. I cannot stand it when I see yellow snow or grass in a footy game which is visibly a different tint to the grass adjacent.

I am not spending £4k on yet another crap shoot and right now am wondering whether I need to wait for 2021... or 2022 or 2023.
Well use me as a guinea pig, my new set arrives Friday. I won’t have it set up till Saturday night but will post photos on Sunday.

But I know @woppy101 also experienced a bad one, though others have had a better experience.
It does feel like it’s still a panel lottery.

lukather101

You obviously got a good one.

Mine is my 2nd one - I quickly returned the first because of very visible yellow stain. I kept the 2nd one, and in hindsight it's worse than the first. The staining is not so bad (but still very obvious) but the near-black performance and macro-blocking on poor content is truly shockingly awful. Laugh out loud bad. And unfortunately the 3D is knackered as well. The first one had perfect 3D but the one I have now suffers from terrible cross-talk due to some kind of panel misalignment.

It seems even in 2020 it's somewhat of a panel lottery and if the Panasonic HZ2000 offers any hope of minimising that - and all of the hassles of repeated RMAs - then I am happy to pay a premium for it.
I've got the yellow stain and agree with the near black issue but i just don't see them in content that often.
PS. Also got a bit of burn in :(

barallo

Standard Member
@Phil Hinton

any chance to have an answer from panasonic about the 24p hdr stutters that plagues all the series since the ez950?

At least to know if its something that they know is there by years now, I'm not expecting a fix, but just to have a hope that it will not be there again next year

i really like the way that panasonic handle the near black compared to sony and lg, but i'm too sensitive to these stutters

button_sw

@Phil Hinton

any chance to have an answer from panasonic about the 24p hdr stutters that plagues all the series since the ez950?

At least to know if its something that they know is there by years now, I'm not expecting a fix, but just to have a hope that it will not be there again next year

i really like the way that panasonic handle the near black compared to sony and lg, but i'm too sensitive to these stutters
This was my biggest annoyance with my EZ952, it annoyed me more than the fact that it needed two new panels in 18 months. It really takes you out of the immersion of whatever you're watching when peoples heads are constantly stuttering when turning.

I'm surprised it hasn't been eradicated yet, so it must be inherent to the HX Chip

I've now moved on to the Sony XH950 and the processing and motion are leagues ahead of the Panasonic, its refreshing to watch content which is beautifully smooth again with 0% Stutter.

Phil's comment is quite interesting as he states its a non issue now but it is still there, if I dropped £3000 to £4000 on a TV I would find this issue unacceptable TBH

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
3rd set having to go back, i can’t be unlucky 3 times in a row. Panasonics QA is rubbish.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 18th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton