Panasonic HZ2000 Flagship OLED TV Review & Comments

clydebest

Distinguished Member
There are many reason for buying a Panasonic but not the OS and apps.

SonOfSJ

Doesn’t mean the forum members views are right on the Samsung though. And there are always bad TVs in every batch. I don’t know why people on this forum have such bad thoughts on Samsung TVs I have 3 now and they are all fantastic! No problems at all.
Well, let's see your three Samsung televisions in a signature!

fathergll

It’s been pointed out the Panasonic know their market and have been very successful selling the GZ2000 and I expect the same will be true for the HZ2000.

However, there is definitely a big untapped market for people who want the custom panel, but don’t need or want any sound / speakers system with their TVs.

Panasonic are missing out by not offering a model that has the custom panel and basic speakers. Customers want this combination.

Those are contradicting statements. Either Panasonic knows their market or they don't know their market. Panasonic knows they are not losing many GZ/HZ2000 sales by having the speakers built in as it makes up a small increase in price as the custom panel is very expensive. It's possible a some people may not purchase it out of principal because they are under the wrong impression they are paying a substantial increase in price(which they are not).

Truth is enhanced built in sound for upper level TVs is here to stay across all manufactures. Since the technology allows for enhanced sound companies are going to use it just like you are paying a mark up for smart tv OS even if you don't use it. Smart TV OS isn't cheap to develop and they need to fund costs somehow so everyone pays the price whether you have an Apple TV and do not use the internal smart OS.

jamct

Great review PhiL, Many thanks.

Initially, I have one question viz:

Does the Optical audio out decode Dolby Digital 5.1?. If not, do ANY TVs do so?. I have a home cinema setup which handles DD5.1 from my Virgin Media V6 STB. However I am regularly forced, due to VM technical problem, to watch a Netflix or Prime film via my Sony XF9005 optical out which is only DD Prologic........very disappointing sound stage in these cases.

When 2020 model TV prices drop I going to upgrade to a 55" TV spending spare cash 😃 built up during the Covid -19 lockdown. The HZ2000 / HZ1500 will be considered as their audio quality could be ideal for everyday TV especially when tv programs have the now common 'mumbling' diction🤔.

Last edited:

Kotatsu Neko

This is twice the price of the LGs. I'm sure it's very colour accurate and whatnot, but twice the price? Good luck Panasonic, especially with no HDMI 2.1 or 120hz support.

buzz_lightclick

jamct

John Lewis's price drop:
55HZ2000 - down £300 to £2,999
65HZ2000 - down £300 to £3,999

I will probably wait for the 55HZ1500 to drop from £1,999 to £1,499 ish even if I have to wait until after CES 2021 / 2021 models are announced. However, maybe Amazon Prime Day in October or Black Friday at the end of November will spring some surprises:rolleyes:

Toon Army

I will probably wait for the 55HZ1500 to drop from £1,999 to £1,499 ish even if I have to wait until after CES 2021 / 2021 models are announced. However, maybe Amazon Prime Day in October or Black Friday at the end of November will spring some surprises:rolleyes:
Will there be any new models next year in view of world events and the economic downturn?

Darthbaker

Standard Member
A lot of the comments on Phil's review are mainly to do with the high price and comparisons with similar OLED's that are less expensive.
Personally, out of the box and personal tweaks a month after purchase (HZ2000 55inch) I would say if you can afford it then it is worth every penny, based on the tech and functionality.
Definitely not disappointed 👍

jamct

CES 2021 is to be a 'virtual' event according to recent press reports. Time will tell which TV brands will be updated for next spring/summer

fathergll

Will there be any new models next year in view of world events and the economic downturn?

No one really knows especially given Panasonic has been pulling their TVs out from major markets. Even if there are no new models you will still be able to grab one at discount assuming we got word there wasn't any.

gmeardi

Standard Member
After 13 years of the best 50” Kuro (that still works perfectly, and I’ll pass it to my parents), I was heading to buy an LG GX55 at the end of july, but then I did see in august the HZ2000.
I’ll sure hook it to a PS4 Pro and in short a PS5, but our family 90% of screen time is movies.
In italy the price difference is about 600€ (55 panels), so for a “1 time in 10-15 years” I can manage it.
PS5? Ok I won’t have 4K/120Hz but I’m sure so few nice titles will exit with that frame rate... and I’m not a COD multiplayer addict (not anymore of the age to be fragged in 5 seconds by jumping kids;).
HDMI 2.0 supports [email protected] so... maybe the Panny can manage this full HD combo, and would be perfect for me as well (any idea?).
More, the PS5 3D audio processor will sure benefit of the Dolby Atmos audio, as well as of the superior picture quality.

And here is my question: AUDIO.
I’ll connect it to a multi-channel rig (old Rotel RSP1066+RMB1066 with Dynaudio Audience A122 towers series speakers/sub, and an Oppo 105). My audio system is NOT compatible with Dolby Atmos... I should change the sound processor, while the Oppo might accept Master Audio, but not Atmos).
Would the Panasonic be able to setup and connect to an external 5.1 rig, adding the benefits of Atmos decoding and up-firing speakers?
This would mean sending out with eARC the 5.1-only channels and - by software - managing delays / speaker distances (as normally done within the Oppo) for the total setup of Dynaudio 5.1 + Panasonic 3+2+2 upfiring speakers. Did anybody try such a combo setup?

Last edited:

jamct

You've just scrambled my brain🤔😉

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Great review as ever Phil. Looks like a decent evolution of the GZ2000.

1. Extra image retention and screen burn mitigation (I'm sure the 100s of people that have got screen burn over the last couple of years would agree this is an important thing)
  2. The extra 150nits you are quoting effects more than just having that number. It allows for better dynamic range, allowing more accurate colours and better ABL for bright room viewing. Having actually seen them side by side whites look blue on other OLEDs and white on the GZ/HZ2000.
  3. Inbuilt 140w Dolby atmos speakers. Whether you need them or not it is clear as all brands have shown that the mass market prefer an all in one system rather than separate units for sound.
Not to mention less tone mapping, for HDR and DV content being required.
Does the HZ2000 support 10-bit colour? If so, how is it enabled?
It and all OLEDs use a native 10bit panel. As such, it's always enabled.
Don't think an OLED TV could ever reach to One Thousand Nits, in its most accurate picture mode, which shows the limitation of the technology even after several generations of OLED panels.
@John Hother has already stated his HZ2000 was measured at 960 nits odd and my GZ2000 measured at 985 nits, the last time I calibrated for HDR. Those were both measured using 10% windows, which is way more real estate than spectral highlights typically take up. These are near as damnit 1000 nit TVs, if that's a specification that drives your buying decision.

Paul

Skyrider

It and all OLEDs use a native 10bit panel. As such, it's always enabled.

Paul
Thanks for that. I was trying to figure out why my Sky Q box would not connect at 10-bits, having to settle for 8-bits.
I've since discovered that the signal was being restricted by a setting in my AVR (video passing through), which has now been corrected :)

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that. I was trying to figure out why my Sky Q box would not connect at 10-bits, having to settle for 8-bits.
I've since discovered that the signal was being restricted by a setting in my AVR (video passing through), which has now been corrected :)
Ah yes, for some strange reason, you'll need a full 18Gb/s end to end HDMI connection for Sky Q to display at 10 bit.

Paul

Skyrider

Ah yes, for some strange reason, you'll need a full 18Gb/s end to end HDMI connection for Sky Q to display at 10 bit.

Paul
Fortunately my cables meet that spec. All working at 10-bits now :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom