Panasonic HZ1500 OLED Review & Comments

I have taken the plunge and ordered the Philips 55OLED935 from Richer Sounds for delivery w/c 9th November. Their new stock arrives on 4th /5th notwithstanding the newly announced LOCKDOWN from 5th November. DOH!

My Sony 49"TV, see signature, is now for sale on the classified forum.

Ciao & best of luck to those sticking with the Panny.

I have taken the plunge and ordered the Philips 55OLED935 from Richer Sounds for delivery w/c 9th November. Their new stock arrives on 4th /5th notwithstanding the newly announced LOCKDOWN from 5th November. DOH!

My Sony 49"TV, see signature, is now for sale on the classified forum.

Ciao & best of luck to those sticking with the Panny.
Could you post back here how you get on please. Saves looking for your comments elsewhere. Cheers

I got a hz1500 replacement because of stutter. It was really bad on apple tv. I had match frame rate and range on. I've worked out the problem is with dolby vision. Greyhound with Tom hanks goes switches to DV 24hz. This is where I get the stutter. If I leave match range off and watch 2160 NOT dolby vision the picture is pretty smooth. I've tried all ifc settings on DV but same problem. 2160 fine. DV not on my TV. any ideas? I have apple belkin cable and 444 set. At least I know its DV.

I got a hz1500 replacement because of stutter. It was really bad on apple tv. I had match frame rate and range on. I've worked out the problem is with dolby vision. Greyhound with Tom hanks goes switches to DV 24hz. This is where I get the stutter. If I leave match range off and watch 2160 NOT dolby vision the picture is pretty smooth. I've tried all ifc settings on DV but same problem. 2160 fine. DV not on my TV. any ideas? I have apple belkin cable and 444 set. At least I know its DV.
I think you need to swap your cable, for a Premium Certified cable. DoVi requires the highest HDMI bandwidth of any of the currently supported video formats, and your issue smacks of insufficient bandwidth to the TV.

It's also worth pointing out, although you've set the ATV to output at YCbCr 4:4:4, it won't do that with DoVi. DoVi uses YCbCr 4:2:2 and will switch to output this, whenever DoVi content is played.

Paul

I think you need to swap your cable, for a Premium Certified cable. DoVi requires the highest HDMI bandwidth of any of the currently supported video formats, and your issue smacks of insufficient bandwidth to the TV.

It's also worth pointing out, although you've set the ATV to output at YCbCr 4:4:4, it won't do that with DoVi. DoVi uses YCbCr 4:2:2 and will switch to output this, whenever DoVi content is played.

Paul
thanks for that response. I appreciate it. I had just purchased the Apple recommended Belkin cable! Maybe not good enough for Dolby vision. Any recommendation on a certified one please?
Maybe I'll set ATV to 4:2:2 for DV and see what happens. When is 4:4:4 used then? Sorry for the questions but although I know a little I'm no expert. thankfully many people on these forums are. cheers

thanks for that response. I appreciate it. I had just purchased the Apple recommended Belkin cable! Maybe not good enough for Dolby vision. Any recommendation on a certified one please?
Maybe I'll set ATV to 4:2:2 for DV and see what happens. When is 4:4:4 used then? Sorry for the questions but although I know a little I'm no expert. thankfully many people on these forums are. cheers
If you want one quickly, this will do. And if it doesn't solve your problem, you can send it back.

I personally use the Monoprice and UGREEN Premium Certified cables with no issues. The latter are a bit thick though, so can be un-wieldy.

With regards to changing the ATV's video output, it'll make no difference. When DoVi content is played, Dolby's pre-sets take over and overrule any way you've set it up. One of the beauties of DoVi.

Paul

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Could you post back here how you get on please. Saves looking for your comments elsewhere. Cheers
Sorry for not updating you sooner on progress with my purchase of the Philips TV so here goes.

I started a new thread for the range viz:

I received my new Philips 55OLED935/12 on November 7th a few days earlier than expected and so far extremely satisified with it. Lots of posts for you to digest.:smashin:
Hoping your HZ is behaving itself.

Last edited:
Hello I am new here. I just bought the 65HZ1500. I couldn’t resist anymore after reading the review, your positive experiences and therefore jumped on a pre-Black Friday offer for 2299€ where I live (or about 2050£).

It is expected to be delivered tomorrow. Can’t wait to enjoy those beautiful colours and test the various picture settings.

Hello I am new here. I just bought the 65HZ1500. I couldn’t resist anymore after reading the review, your positive experiences and therefore jumped on a pre-Black Friday offer for 2299€ where I live (or about 2050£).

It is expected to be delivered tomorrow. Can’t wait to enjoy those beautiful colours and test the various picture settings.
well it cost £2500 in UK. so we can envy only that price

Hi all

My girlfriend wants to upgrade tv (Panasonic 55" 2009) to OLED. Fancying the HX range

Now she has a surround sound setup already so is the HZ1500 a waste compared to the HZ1000 or will the 1500 be a better overall experince

Thanks in advance

Hi all

My girlfriend wants to upgrade tv (Panasonic 55" 2009) to OLED. Fancying the HX range

Now she has a surround sound setup already so is the HZ1500 a waste compared to the HZ1000 or will the 1500 be a better overall experince

Thanks in advance
If you've got a good sound setup already then go for 1000. I have 1500 but really sound not a big issue for me so should have gone for 1000 tbh.

Thanks guys, decision made (albeit I haven't seen the tv in the flesh), going to go for the HZ1000 from JL

Present tv is Panasonic 55" 2009 hanging from the wall, will the HZ1000 65" tv hang ok from the existing wall bracket, when you behind the panel there seems to be lots of space left for wider brackets to sit on the top wall fixing

You mean for the BFI motion.. ? That's the only difference ? Or is it also for upscaling and other image-processing ? And how or where can we read/find proof of the specs of this processor(s) ?

Better image processing apparently. Best place to look for specs would be Panasonic website I guess.

Better processor.
The processor is identical in all the GZ and HZ models.
You mean for the BFI motion.. ? That's the only difference ? Or is it also for upscaling and other image-processing ? And how or where can we read/find proof of the specs of this processor(s) ?
The pertinent differences between the HZ1000/ HZ1500 and HZ980 are:

1. HZ1000/ 1500 have 2020 LGD panel = better near black and highlight handling and better BFI
2. HZ980 has 2019 LGD panel (same as the GZ range)

That's it. The HZ980 has the same feature set as the HZ1000/ 1500, including Dolby Vision IQ and Filmmaker Mode. As well as the Black Frame Insertion (BFI), which the GZ's also have. However, the HZ1000/ 1500 have a better implementation of the BFI, that works as designed essentially. The HZ980 shares the GZ's implementation of this that doesn't work so well.

Paul

It's been a few weeks ago that our new 65HZ1500 got delivered. There was a great Black Friday promotion which I could not resist. Once out of the box, it was obvious that despite its massive size, the new TV fit perfectly in our living room!

My first impressions: it has an amazing picture quality, very good sound (for a TV) and an understated beautiful design.

Design: some people here dislike the swivel. I must say, I love it. It's practical for optimal viewing from my dining table and from the lounge and at the same time the swivel is made of beautifully finished metal and the TV sits nicely and solidly on top. It has a discreet sound bar below the screen which makes the design different from screens-only flat panel TVs, quite nice and whole in my view. The proportions seem better than on the HZ1000.

Picture & settings: Here on avforums and most other review sites it is recommended to use Filmmaker for non-DV content and Dolby Vision IQ or Dolby Vision Dark for DV content. I agree that these settings deliver a fantastic and naturally looking picture. In my view, however, they are slightly on the dark side. Initially I tweaked with brightness settings. Today I reversed those to factory settings and I changed gamma settings. While the picture quality remained stellar and natural it was slightly more "popping" and bright on the screen. I watch mostly 4K and HDR content on Netflix and Amazon and it's just perfect. Even in HD it's just beautiful.

Sound: It's the sound that sets this TV apart from its HZ1000 brother. It's full bodied with broad stereo sound from the sound bar, oomph from the sub woofer and upwards punch from the Atmos speakers at the back. For many this will give a truly home cinema experience out of the box. Yet, if you're really want more refinement and cinema surround sound, then connect it to an AVR.

Other elements: I don't do gaming, therefore the connections are perfectly adequate for my use. The remote control is indeed old fashioned, but it's well made, not like a cheap clicker. The operating system is perhaps more basic and less complete than with other brands, but it works snappy.

In short: I love it and can highly recommend it.

Does anyone know where on the HZ1500 menu the audio adjustments are, I'm specifically looking to check if the speakers are set to corner location to set the height for the Atmos speakers. Saw this info on a Pansonic site maybe this facility is reserved for HZ2000 owners,
BTW Found the site by accident now can't find it :(

Does anyone know where on the HZ1500 menu the audio adjustments are, I'm specifically looking to check if the speakers are set to corner location to set the height for the Atmos speakers. Saw this info on a Pansonic site maybe this facility is reserved for HZ2000 owners,
BTW Found the site by accident now can't find it :(
Go to Sound - Space Tune Setting - Space Tune On - Space Tune Adjustment.

Go to Sound - Space Tune Setting - Space Tune On - Space Tune Adjustment.
Found space tune, adjusted settings to suit. When I check my settings are ok my choices are not shown as put in but remain as they were.:(

Last edited:
It's been a few weeks ago that our new 65HZ1500 got delivered. There was a great Black Friday promotion which I could not resist. Once out of the box, it was obvious that despite its massive size, the new TV fit perfectly in our living room!

My first impressions: it has an amazing picture quality, very good sound (for a TV) and an understated beautiful design.

Design: some people here dislike the swivel. I must say, I love it. It's practical for optimal viewing from my dining table and from the lounge and at the same time the swivel is made of beautifully finished metal and the TV sits nicely and solidly on top. It has a discreet sound bar below the screen which makes the design different from screens-only flat panel TVs, quite nice and whole in my view. The proportions seem better than on the HZ1000.

Picture & settings: Here on avforums and most other review sites it is recommended to use Filmmaker for non-DV content and Dolby Vision IQ or Dolby Vision Dark for DV content. I agree that these settings deliver a fantastic and naturally looking picture. In my view, however, they are slightly on the dark side. Initially I tweaked with brightness settings. Today I reversed those to factory settings and I changed gamma settings. While the picture quality remained stellar and natural it was slightly more "popping" and bright on the screen. I watch mostly 4K and HDR content on Netflix and Amazon and it's just perfect. Even in HD it's just beautiful.

Sound: It's the sound that sets this TV apart from its HZ1000 brother. It's full bodied with broad stereo sound from the sound bar, oomph from the sub woofer and upwards punch from the Atmos speakers at the back. For many this will give a truly home cinema experience out of the box. Yet, if you're really want more refinement and cinema surround sound, then connect it to an AVR.

Other elements: I don't do gaming, therefore the connections are perfectly adequate for my use. The remote control is indeed old fashioned, but it's well made, not like a cheap clicker. The operating system is perhaps more basic and less complete than with other brands, but it works snappy.

In short: I love it and can highly recommend it.
basic operating system i would say is advantage for the. I bought sony 65 a8. twice in week couldn't turn it on with remote control as software crashed. had to hard reset. on one occasion 3 times in row

basic operating system i would say is advantage for the. I bought sony 65 a8. twice in week couldn't turn it on with remote control as software crashed. had to hard reset. on one occasion 3 times in row

ve had the same problem with my Sony A1. Had it for three years with no issue. Four days ago couldn’t turn it on. One day turns on and the next nothing turns it on including disconnecting everything and leaving off for hrs. JL replacing it on 30th. I got the tv on on Monday and now kept it on 24x7, don’t want to risk having a day with no tv (films) this time of year!

I’ve chosen the 1500 with £1k cash. Now just got to decide it I get a UB9000 🤔

The pertinent differences between the HZ1000/ HZ1500 and HZ980 are:

1. HZ1000/ 1500 have 2020 LGD panel = better near black and highlight handling and better BFI
2. HZ980 has 2019 LGD panel (same as the GZ range)

That's it. The HZ980 has the same feature set as the HZ1000/ 1500, including Dolby Vision IQ and Filmmaker Mode. As well as the Black Frame Insertion (BFI), which the GZ's also have. However, the HZ1000/ 1500 have a better implementation of the BFI, that works as designed essentially. The HZ980 shares the GZ's implementation of this that doesn't work so well.

Good day!

Could you provide some evidence available to everyone for your statement about the different panels?

The work of the BFI system directly depends on the power of the video processor. If they are the same (and he is exactly the same, and I know it), then why on the HZ series do you claim the best BFI implementation?

Panasonic 2020
Chassis: LA78
SoC: MT5813QFIQ (variant of MT5598)
Core Architecture: 4 x ARM Cortex-A73
CPU Clock: 1.0GHz
GPU Renderer: ARM Mali-G71
GPU Cores: 3 x 528MHz
RAM:
Storage:

1.jpg

Panasonic 2019
Chassis: LA78
SoC: MT5813QFIQ (variant of MT5598)
Core Arhitecture: 4 x ARM Cortex-A73
CPU Clock: 1.0GHz
GPU Renderer: ARM Mali-G71
GPU Cores: 3 x 528MHz
RAM:
Storage: DDR4 (2 x 8 GB / 2 x 4 GB)
2.jpg

Last edited:
Could you provide some evidence available to everyone for your statement about the different panels?

The work of the BFI system directly depends on the power of the video processor. If they are the same (and he is exactly the same, and I know it), then why on the HZ series do you claim the best BFI implementation?

Panels and differences in BFI noted in links below.

"The OLED panel of the HZ980 is very similar to that of the 2019 GZ950."

"HZ980s don’t get the Master HDR OLED panel that the HZ1000/HZ1500 models do. This sounds potentially drastic. However, Panasonic assures me that the only difference between a regular Panasonic OLED panel and a Master HDR OLED panel is improved Smooth Motion Drive processing in the more expensive models."

"HZ980 is a distinct offering from the HZ1000 OLED TV, with a less advanced OLED panel, ditching the Master HDR panel of the HZ1000, HZ1500 and HZ2000 in order to bring down the price of an entry-level OLED. HZ980 will feature the same HCX Pro Intelligent processor as its more premium siblings, meaning that functions like upscaling shouldn't see a drop in quality – though you will be making do with a simplified version of the HZ1000's Smooth Motion Drive Pro, called simply Smooth Motion Drive."

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom