Panasonic HZ1500 OLED Review & Comments

I believe the HZ1000 is the replacement for the GZ950.

The HZ1500 is a direct replacement for the GZ1500.

Paul
Sorry, yes I've just realised that.

£1900 is a bit too steep, looking at closer to the £1k mark.

Looks like you can't get the B9 anymore either, I found a reduced A8G but I don't like the sound of it's HDR abilities (or lack thereof). Gutted I didnt get him the last of the 950 stock in time.

I did notice that RS are selling 'renewed' 950's for £1149 via Amazon stating 'Product works and looks like new' with a 1 year warranty ...not sure that's much of a discount considering it's a refurb and has very little warranty.

Last edited:
I really like the stand too reminds me of the Pioneer 500a stand and they weren’t saying that looked bad yeeaahhh!

You could glue/attach some thin gliding pieces under the centre-stand of the GZ950 and turn that 2019 tv for viewing-angle. Or you can buy a turning disc and put the center stand of the gz950 and turn that tv. That's the advantage of a centre-stand. But having it standard like now on the HZ(2020) tv is easier.

I left the weird 'sticky out' feet of my Sony 49 XF9005 in the box and purchased a Fitueyes swivel pedestal stand. When upgrading to this 55HZ1500 swivel stand TV in due course, I'll be able to resell my Sony complete with swivel stand at a small premium. Many people don't have TV surfaces wide enough to take any of the crazily designed TVs with 'wide spread' feet. What are manufacturers thinking about🤔.

Someone who doesn't game, watches predominantly movies and wants an all I one solution...

Panasonic = more sturdy robust metal, less flimsy plastic construction.

I can only assume Panasonic expects everyone to wall mount. Fitted with a decent bracket it looks really cool.
Wall mount?, I don't think so. The recommended viewing height is centre of screen at eye level. Many purchasers viewing wall mounted TVs, usualĺy above a mantlepiece, end up with neck ache☢

55HZ1500 now down £400 to £1,999 at most retailers. In due course it should come down another £250 ish, to match the identically priced but not direct competitor 8K Samsung QE55Q700T which has a further £250 cashback bring it down to £1,749. (or get afree Galaxy S20).
I am sure some non AV enthusiatic purchasers will be persuaded by Samsung salesmen saying "buy this latest '8K' future proof Samsung QLED for £250 LESS than the mere '4K' Panny OLED ". It's a funny old world when making decisions decisions🤔🤔🤔.

These 4 consecutive posts made having read the whole thread instead of going to bed due to my change of routine whilst in Covid lockdown.😷 (A rest from Netfix/Prime bingeing).
I've made my decision to buy this TV when the price eventually drops to my target of around £1,699 with savings from being in Covid Lockdown for the past 5 1/2 months.

Night, night from a night🦉.

Last edited:
Wall mount?, I don't think so. The recommended viewing height is centre of screen at eye level. Many purchasers viewing wall mounted TVs, usualĺy above a mantlepiece, end up with neck ache☢
I have wall-mounted my at eye level and looks really cool with a slim bracket, so not talking badly positioned anything. Most people have their tv in the corner to make room for a fireplace they use once or twice in winter. IMHO move the fireplace to the corner and have the TV center stage at that what going to be used most days.

I have wall-mounted my at eye level and looks really cool with a slim bracket, so not talking badly positioned anything. Most people have their tv in the corner to make room for a fireplace they use once or twice in winter. IMHO move the fireplace to the corner and have the TV center stage at that what going to be used most days.

I Agree, your setup is perfect.:)

2 of my friends have their TVs above the fireplace and suffer cricks in the neck. However a relative has wall mounted their TV at Eye level but in the recessed bay to the side of the fireplace., a nice compromise. She can have it flat to the wall for her own viewing or swing it out at an angle for family gatherings.

The point I was making related to :
[QUOTE} ashenfie said:
I can only assume Panasonic expects everyone to wall mount...... [/QUOTE]
I think this assumption is unlikely as the vast majority of people (UK) have TVs mid-screen height at eye level on cabinet or stand etc.(IMO)

Last edited:
Have to say I've generally been using LG OLEDs for 4k review of Films and TV material the last couple of years in preference to even Christie and Barco projectors. The difference between the panasonics and the LGs just isn't worth the price and previously I've been a Panasonic stalwart.

Has anyone bought this model, would have loved to hear some feedback on its sound capabilities. Don't like to add a soundbar near the pedestal, so that it gives a clean look, shame about the cheap looking pedestal stand.

Got a budget Yamaha soundbar not Atmos of course. But if the Atmos sound is amazing then don't need to add a soundbar.

:DMine is being delivered Saturday 19th. I'll let you know what sound and image are like.

Not worried about stand as that doesn't affect picture quality. :D

:DMine is being delivered Saturday 19th. I'll let you know what sound and image are like.

Not worried about stand as that doesn't affect picture quality. :D
Bet you can't wait😋, what size screen?.
All eyes will be on your posts possibly being leader of the HZ1500 gang 😉.
After you have let the TV settle in, please post your 'settings' for reference.
As mentioned in my other posts, the 55HZ1500 is on top of my wants-list provided the price drops another £300 to £400 ish. I'll also be on the lookout for the numerous reviewers' settings in due course as well as studying Phil Hinton's (OP) review in detail. As always some out of the box Presets will need to be turned OFF so #kevjp, your choices will be of interest.

Last edited:
I've just got sky q and picture not as good as Sky HD on my Panasonic 55 plasma! Out of scope on this thread but hoping HZ1500 can handle better.

I believe the HZ1000 is the replacement for the GZ950.

The HZ1500 is a direct replacement for the GZ1500.

Paul
I would say the HZ980 is the replacement for the GZ950. The HZ1000 replaces the GZ1000 and has a Master OLED Panel like The HZ1500 without the Atmos speakers.

I would say the HZ980 is the replacement for the GZ950. The HZ1000 replaces the GZ1000 and has a Master OLED Panel like The HZ1500 without the Atmos speakers.
It's not, owing to the facts that as it uses last year's panel and thus doesn't have the same image hardware, nor features when compared to the rest of the range, bar the HZ2000. Last year's GZ950 shared the same panel and features as the rest of the range, bar the GZ2000.
The HZ980 is a new entry level model, something that didn't exist last year.

The GZ1000 was always an oddity as it was identical to the GZ950, bar the stand. It was also more expensive than the GZ950 but, Panasonic had to do that to differentiate it. It seems like they've just not bothered with an HZ950 (a direct GZ950 replacement) this year which makes sense.

Paul

I've just got sky q and picture not as good as Sky HD on my Panasonic 55 plasma! Out of scope on this thread but hoping HZ1500 can handle better.
If you were to compare on your new TV, you'd be disappointed. The issue is with the SkyQ box, not your TV. Fortunately, the HZ will look better than your plasma regardless.

Paul

If you were to compare on your new TV, you'd be disappointed. The issue is with the SkyQ box, not your TV. Fortunately, the HZ will look better than your plasma regardless.

Paul
thanks Paul. here's hoping. Should have stayed with SKY HD. Was very happy with PQ on that!

Just called in to John Lewis and had a 'limited' demo of the 55HZ1500........WOW!, AMAZING, AWESOME.

Rather than the usual 4K demo disc, I watched some YouTube 4K nature videos and the new Top Gun trailer. Colours were vibrant with deep blacks on the usual showroom 'Dynamic' setting. Motion and audio including significant base from the jet fighter scenes were outstanding.
I am now completely sold on my choice of upgrade from 27month old SONY 49FX9005. Price drop eagerly awaited :thumbsup:.
(Watch out for the 'For Sale' posts here and on Gumtree for my Sony in due course)

#kevjp, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Just called in to John Lewis and had a 'limited' demo of the 55HZ1500........WOW!, AMAZING, AWESOME.

Rather than the usual 4K demo disc, I watched some YouTube 4K nature videos and the new Top Gun trailer. Colours were vibrant with deep blacks on the usual showroom 'Dynamic' setting. Motion and audio including significant base from the jet fighter scenes were outstanding.
I am now completely sold on my choice of upgrade from 27month old SONY 49FX9005. Price drop eagerly awaited :thumbsup:.
(Watch out for the 'For Sale' posts here and on Gumtree for my Sony in due course)

Sounds brill. 2 days to go. I've told the wife I'm fully booked Saturday so no jobs!! I cant wait to try some UHD. football especially.

With regards to the smart system on Panasonic oled this year, the hz1500 and hz2000 have my home 5.0. Why is it that one scored a 7 and the other scored an 8?. In my opinion if someone is buying a new TV because of apps as opposed to picture quality then they are almost certainly buying it for the wrong reason.

Would be interested in your coming experience as I have a XE9005 and looking at the HZ1500. My main concern is brightness as our living room is dual aspect and quite bright.

I think there is an explanation of the status lines somewhere in the last few months on the GZ owners thread.
Would be interested in your coming experience as I have a XE9005 and looking at the HZ1500. My main concern is brightness as our living room is dual aspect and quite bright.
Will do. In the meantime note that # kevjp/post#110 has a 65" on order for Saturday delivery and has promised to post settings info once TV has settled in.

................ My main concern is brightness as our living room is dual aspect and quite bright.
I have just viewed a short YouTube video review of the HZ1500 specifically highlighting the a feature for adjusting picture to suit room brightness. It involves horizontal scroll bar adjusting from 'Dark room to Bright room'.

See link:

Of course you can also see the 23min AVF's Phil Hinton YouTube video of last years GZ1500 for some features carried over to the HZ.

Phil's GZ video:

Last edited:
I have just viewed a short YouTube video review of the HZ1500 specifically highlighting the a feature for adjusting picture to suit room brightness. It involves horizontal scroll bar adjusting from 'Dark room to Bright room'.

See link:

Of course you can also see the 23min AVF's Phil Hinton YouTube video of last years GZ1500 for some features carried over to the HZ.

Phil's GZ video:

Thanks. I forgot about this feature and interested in how it effective it is in reality.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom