Panasonic HZ1500 OLED Review & Comments

The HZ980 is the 2020 model to get

Don't agree with that. According to Vincent the HZ1000 and up have significantly improved the banding on highlights. The 980 "looks" to be using the same panel as the 950 whereas the other HZ's get a new one for 2020.

There is also " Smooth Motion Drive Pro" vs " Smooth Motion Drive" according to Panasonic. Wonder if that's the 120hz BFI?

Oh and thank you for the excellent review Phil, really really helpful.

Don't agree with that. According to Vincent the HZ1000 and up have significantly improved the banding on highlights.
I think that was when compared to all the other manufacturers' OLED's, wasn't it? Not the 2019 Panasonic's, which were already exceptional in this area.

Paul

Apparently not, even the GZ2000 seemed to have a bit of this and Vincent hypothesised in the shoot out video why it didn't beat the LG in some areas (some people perceptions). He showed the issue in the reviews for the Panasonic using the Kingsman intro with sun over the cabin on the snowy mountain.

*i have been watching (repeatedly) WAY too many of these videos lately. looking to upgrade from a Pioneer LX5090 and don't want to be disappointed :). So looking at the HZ1000 (this without the upgraded speakers) and very interested to see Phil's HZ2000 review (and if it's worth the extra if just for the picture).

Apparently not, even the GZ2000 seemed to have a bit of this and Vincent hypothesised in the shoot out video why it didn't beat the LG in some areas (some people perceptions). He showed the issue in the reviews for the Panasonic using the Kingsman intro with sun over the cabin on the snowy mountain.
My mistake, I read near black handling for some reason.

With regards to the highlight banding, that was only ever an issue with the GZ2000, not the models below it. And it was always put down to the GZ2000 panel being driven harder, to reach it's higher peak brightness.
I also believe the issue has been reduced significantly with FW updates. Regardless, the issue is only on 1 or 2 discs. Kingsman being one and Pan being the other. I have a GZ2000, since September last year, and have never experienced the issue.

Paul

The HZ980 is the 2020 model to get, if you are using an external sound system - same as the GZ950B was in 2019. They picture quality is identical on all models except the HZ2000 which boosts the peak brightness slightly. Other than that, you are paying for increasingly better onboard speakers, nothing more.

There is no promise of Disney+. But a very low cost Amazon Fire TV 4K gives you Disney+, and Apple TV.

Regards,
James.
what about 120BFI and eARC? Looks like nobody mentioned it in this forum. Its bloody a lot. of money to pay just for this important improvements. That's why I'm trying to resist to buy cheaper CX and try to wait for Black Friday prices

that was only ever an issue with the GZ2000

Only going by what Vincent said in his HZ1000 review, 07:30 mark "drastically reduced the occasional posterization around bright specular highlights found in the 2019 GZ series".

Only going by what Vincent said in his HZ1000 review, 07:30 mark "drastically reduced the occasional posterization around bright specular highlights found in the 2019 GZ series".

I am expecting delivery of 65GZ1000 tomorrow. Will check on how bad this posterization around bright specular highlights is. I thought it was more apparent on the GZ2000 due to pushing the peak brightness close to the panel's limits.

Its going to be interesting to see how it compares to my broken DX902 which I found to be better than my LG 65C8 OLED on many aspects especially HDR and brightness.

I wouldn't expect it to be bad by any level and asyoungsyp said it's only an issue seen on a couple of discs.

what is your initial impression.

It s noticeably better than the LG C8 and Panny DX902 without an element of doubt.

SD Live TV looks horrendous.
HD Live TV looks very good probably the same as DX902.
Near black handling is much better than the C8.
Slightly lesser colour.banding than my C8 and DX902.
Dolby Vision definitely brighter than my C8.
1080p Blu-ray looks stunning. SDR is excellent.
HDR - still evaluating. Netflix Extraction and 6 Underground looked much better than my DX902.

Last edited:
It s noticeably better than the LG C8 and Panny DX902 without an element of doubt.

SD Live TV looks horrendous.
HD Live TV looks very good probably the same as DX902.
Near black handling is much better than the C8.
Slightly lesser colour.banding than my C8 and DX902.
Dolby Vision definitely brighter than my C8.
1080p Blu-ray looks stunning. SDR is excellent.
HDR - still evaluating. Netflix Extraction and 6 Underground looked much better than my DX902.

FYI: Above is for GZ1000 and not HZ1000. I expect HZ1000 to be bit better in motion.

I wouldn't take everything Vincent says as gospel, and in this case, he's most definitely wrong. You can see that for yourself from any review of a GZ or any owners thread on here. Or indeed, with the TV, with your own eyes.

Paul

My calibrator said same thing about this years models, the highlight posterization was fixed now on the titles he saw them in 2019. But if it was only GZ2000 or all models I'm not sure.

I wouldn't take everything Vincent says as gospel, and in this case, he's most definitely wrong. You can see that for yourself from any review of a GZ or any owners thread on here. Or indeed, with the TV, with your own eyes.

Paul

Agree. I am struggling to find any posterisation on specular highlights on my GZ1000. I did notice that odd frame skipping.

I have the 65HZ1500 set but for some reason DOLBY VISION IQ and the other DV options do not appear in the Picture Menu. Could anyone explain why this might be the case? Grateful for your thoughts.

Oh, my bad! I thought I was but just checked and the disc was just HDR. Apologies. Thanks for your help.

I still have the same plasma and have it slightly swivelled. Having the TV swivelled with a rectangular base has always bugged me as you can clearly see the base in not inline with the TV. Having a circular base fixes this issue. Saying that, my first reaction to the stand on the HZ1500 was that it looked out of place and a little cheap.
Agree, the GZ stand looked a whole lot better. As long as wobble is minimal I'm happy to consider.

Subject to cost I may buy the 65inch version in the Black Friday sale.
The only down side is the TV has to go in a corner so it's at an angle to where we sit.
I know picture will be ok more concerned about the audio.

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking this is effectively the replacement for the GZ950?

I have a 55GZ950B and was about to recommend it to my Dad but just discovered you can't actually buy them anymore. Can anyone reccomend a suitable equivalent at a slightly low pricepoint than this?

Am I right in thinking this is effectively the replacement for the GZ950?

I have a 55GZ950B and was about to recommend it to my Dad but just discovered you can't actually buy them anymore. Can anyone reccomend a suitable equivalent at a slightly low pricepoint than this?
lg B9, Philips oled 754/804, panasonic hzw 984, hisense oled, sony A8G, etc, etc,

Not the panasonic hzw1500. This is only more expensive but with better sound (89 watt instead of 30 wat for the hzw1000

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom