Panasonic HZ1500 OLED Review & Comments

Costco are doing the new 55-inch Panasonic OLED TV entry model for £1499.

I have a GT50 Plasma, about 10 years old I think. It is on a swivel but the base is rectangular and high quality, very solid. The new swivel does not as good as mine but they must be solid I am sure. The picture on my 10 year old TV by the way is still pretty well perfect with a faint mark on the sky pause button showing sometimes
That’s why you shouldn’t pause for the cause!

It has the same stand as this previous Panasonic plasma thinking about it too:

I looked at the review of that 10 year old tv.. Didn't see the nits-number ? No HDR but,..

It's you ;)
There are going to be variances between panels, but you should also note the scale used within the graphs. The points in the main greyscale graph are in 5% increments. So while things may look like they are large in errors, they are actually tiny within the scale of the graph. The most important window to be looking at is the DeltaE errors and making sure that everything is under the yellow DeltaE 3 line, which means that even if there are errors on the graph, they are not visible to the eye. Once you take all this in to account you can see that they are all quite accurate in results. The differences are in panel variance which will be a few percent each way, again in line with the scale used in the graphs. I hope that clears things up.

As for HDR, all the 2020 panels are measuring around the same levels, with the Philips 805 and the Panasonic HZ2000 performing slightly better due to some engineering/software/processor changes. Remember we (AVForums) only measure peak brightness in the most accurate HDR picture preset. Anyone reporting much higher results are doing so driving the panel hard in the Vivid or Dynamic/Standard modes which don't translate to a watchable image.
"
""Anyone reporting much higher results are doing so driving the panel hard in the Vivid or Dynamic/Standard modes which don't translate to a watchable image"" .

That's an opion of one person ! 🤷‍♂️

"
""Anyone reporting much higher results are doing so driving the panel hard in the Vivid or Dynamic/Standard modes which don't translate to a watchable image"" .

That's an opion of one person ! 🤷‍♂️
Not an opinion. Based on the objectives of image fidelity and objective measurement.
Standard/Vivid etc. are all far too blue to be accurate for a start, but colours are also boosted in saturation which changes the intended look of the image. The best and most trusted nit measurements are those made in the accurate to the industry standards picture mode, and not a subjective Standard or Vivid picture mode designed to look too bright and colourful.
I hope that helps.

I have a GT50 Plasma, about 10 years old I think. It is on a swivel but the base is rectangular and high quality, very solid. The new swivel does not as good as mine but they must be solid I am sure. The picture on my 10 year old TV by the way is still pretty well perfect with a faint mark on the sky pause button showing sometimes
I still have the same plasma and have it slightly swivelled. Having the TV swivelled with a rectangular base has always bugged me as you can clearly see the base in not inline with the TV. Having a circular base fixes this issue. Saying that, my first reaction to the stand on the HZ1500 was that it looked out of place and a little cheap.

Not an opinion. Based on the objectives of image fidelity and objective measurement.
Standard/Vivid etc. are all far too blue to be accurate for a start, but colours are also boosted in saturation which changes the intended look of the image. The best and most trusted nit measurements are those made in the accurate to the industry standards picture mode, and not a subjective Standard or Vivid picture mode designed to look too bright and colourful.
I hope that helps.
Yes, I completely understand what you mean/meant. But you wrote that standard is not a watchable image.. (does not translate into a watchable image)... But that's an opion. Because all my neighbours that I visit have different opinion... I checked them and tried to help them to get rid of the fluorescent greens of the trees and grass,.. But they becked me to put it back to "happy ""--watchable--" mode" !
That's what I meant with "opionion" I agree that the vivid is terrible. But standard is better for me as no movie-watcher. But dayviewing standard cable programs..

So if you want a top picture but not fussed ref the sound the HZ1000 could be the one to choose as they use the same panel? I think. Obviously when the price drops and hopefully Disney+ apppears too.

I hope that helps.
I think anyone who buys a TV and watches it in vivid or standard mode doesn't deserve to own a decent TV at all! Personally I've never liked an over bright tv.. to me it just doesn't look right...you can lose so much detail if you don't spend time on the picture settings...another reason why I love my B7 oled,it still blows me away on how good it looks...watching films in a dark room is just soooooo good! But of course that's my opinion...if folks are happy with overly bright pictures then thats their choice.

I still have the same plasma and have it slightly swivelled. Having the TV swivelled with a rectangular base has always bugged me as you can clearly see the base in not inline with the TV. Having a circular base fixes this issue. Saying that, my first reaction to the stand on the HZ1500 was that it looked out of place and a little cheap.
I suspect you are man of tight margins, I guess that is what OLED is all about :)

Does it not make sense that a version without that fancy soundbar will be released? I have a denon amp so I don't have a need for an expensive soundbar.

I think anyone who buys a TV and watches it in vivid or standard mode doesn't deserve to own a decent TV at all! Personally I've never liked an over bright tv.. to me it just doesn't look right...you can lose so much detail if you don't spend time on the picture settings...another reason why I love my B7 oled,it still blows me away on how good it looks...watching films in a dark room is just soooooo good! But of course that's my opinion...if folks are happy with overly bright pictures then thats their choice.
Yes it's your rightfull opinion. As you mentioned, you watch in the dark.. Yes then standard will be overbright, for sure/maybe. But now with this new panasonic,.. with usefull brightness-adaption in viewing options (sdr/dolby vision),.. you will be served.

Yes it's your rightfull opinion. As you mentioned, you watch in the dark.. Yes then standard will be overbright, for sure/maybe. But now with this new panasonic,.. with usefull brightness-adaption in viewing options (sdr/dolby vision),.. you will be served.
But i also watch tv in the day,when im not at work...The isf modes work wonders as a starting point..But of course oleds really shine in a darker environment.

I think that's taking it a bit far. If someone wants to buy a expensive TV and watch it in vivid or standard mode it's up to them, sure they are loosing out on the most they can get from that TV. But saying they don't deserve it isn't really a great phrase to be banding around for such a individual.

I think that's taking it a bit far. If someone wants to buy a expensive TV and watch it in vivid or standard mode it's up to them, sure they are loosing out on the most they can get from that TV. But saying they don't deserve it isn't really a great phrase to be banding around for such a individual.
But thats like buying a high performance car and constantly hammering it...you wouldn't do it would you...and like I have stated thats of course just my opinion.

So if you want a top picture but not fussed ref the sound the HZ1000 could be the one to choose as they use the same panel? I think. Obviously when the price drops and hopefully Disney+ apppears too.

The HZ980 is the 2020 model to get, if you are using an external sound system - same as the GZ950B was in 2019. They picture quality is identical on all models except the HZ2000 which boosts the peak brightness slightly. Other than that, you are paying for increasingly better onboard speakers, nothing more.

There is no promise of Disney+. But a very low cost Amazon Fire TV 4K gives you Disney+, and Apple TV.

Regards,
James.

The HZ980 is the 2020 model to get, if you are using an external sound system - same as the GZ950B was in 2019. They picture quality is identical on all models except the HZ2000 which boosts the peak brightness slightly. Other than that, you are paying for increasingly better onboard speakers, nothing more.

There is no promise of Disney+. But a very low cost Amazon Fire TV 4K gives you Disney+, and Apple TV.

Regards,
James.

The HZ1000 has a Master HDR OLED Panel with Smooth Motion Drive Pro. The HZ980 does not have these. I have no idea if you will see a big difference, i am just stating the facts.

My understanding of the hdmi 2.1 situation is the parts/boards are scarce. therefore they are expensive and also there are no sources that can actually take advantage of this. LG seems to have had the monopoly on the hdmi 2.1 the past few years. but even taking these considerations into account i think paying the premium for these sets, Panasonic could have least provided 1 x hdmi FULL spec 2.1 for the up and coming PS5/Xbox. (so its a little short sighted from panny)

the other issues with tv manfacturers is that its very possible that these tvs will carry over into next year which means it will be 2 years before you could see tvs with hdmi 2.1 other than the LG's and the high end Sony's

People moaning that this or any Pana TV not having HDMI 2.1 need to see which other rival manufacturers doing that. Only LG but then its downgraded from last year.

It has all the important features such as eARC and ALLM. It has the best near black performance, as attested by Phil and demonstrated by Vincent and no DV issues which can be seen on LG's CX.

Last edited:
The HZ1000 has a Master HDR OLED Panel with Smooth Motion Drive Pro. The HZ980 does not have these. I have no idea if you will see a big difference, i am just stating the facts.

That’s what I thought hence my post

The former uses the 2020 LGD OLED panel and the latter the 2019 LGD OLED panel (the same panel as used in all the 2019 OLED's, bar the GZ2000). What this actually equates to in terms of perceptible differences is open to discussion.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom