Panasonic HZ1000 (TX-55HZ1000) OLED TV Review & Comments

CaptainJames

@heavysoul - thanks for the IRL sideshot, beyond marketing pictures, these are terribly hard to find!

@CaptainJames - what mount is that using? Do you have a sideshot as well?

Difficult to get a decent side shot, phone doesn't seem to want to play ball with correct exposure, but below will give you an idea. I believe the mount is an Alphason, it slides left to right. Gap between top of screen and wall is circa 8cm to allow for the "bottom bulge".

IMG_20201125_125606_BURST002.jpg

zero7

Are we likely to see any Black Friday specials one these? Was hoping they would dip under the £2k mark

CaptainJames

Are we likely to see any Black Friday specials one these? Was hoping they would dip under the £2k mark

Not sure there's much stock about.

zero7

Yea thought as much, might opt for the TX-65HZ980B and save £500

CaptainJames

Yea thought as much, might opt for the TX-65HZ980B and save £500

Yeah if you can lay your hands on one at the moment, I'd grab it.

RuatoTre

Novice Member
I am upgrading my home theater TV from Sony XF9005 to either Panasonic HZ1000 or HZ2000. I mainly watch high bitrate movies (HDR / Dolby Vision), some SDR TV series and some sports. No console gaming. Additionally, I do not use the audio from a TV as I have a separate audio system for that. Whichever device I get, I will have it calibrated by a certified calibrator.

I have been trying to read everything about the two devices and to decide which one to get. The price difference for the 65" versions is a hefty 1400eur here and thus, I am currently leaning towards HZ1000. Do you have any insight on the actual picture quality differences between the two devices using real movie material? That is, are the differences subtle or they are significant and thus, the price difference is justifiable?

Thank you very much for any info!

kevjp

reading between the lines I think the HZ1000 is the best choice. Fewer problems compared to HZ2000. That's based on threads on this forum!

CaptainJames

I am upgrading my home theater TV from Sony XF9005 to either Panasonic HZ1000 or HZ2000. I mainly watch high bitrate movies (HDR / Dolby Vision), some SDR TV series and some sports. No console gaming. Additionally, I do not use the audio from a TV as I have a separate audio system for that. Whichever device I get, I will have it calibrated by a certified calibrator.

I have been trying to read everything about the two devices and to decide which one to get. The price difference for the 65" versions is a hefty 1400eur here and thus, I am currently leaning towards HZ1000. Do you have any insight on the actual picture quality differences between the two devices using real movie material? That is, are the differences subtle or they are significant and thus, the price difference is justifiable?

Thank you very much for any info!

If you don't use the TV audio then you have answered your own question. Others may disagree, but I'd say as a rough guide 80% of the additional cost is for the TV's sound system, with the remainder allocated to the panel.

I'd get the HZ1000 and spend the difference on upgrades elsewhere.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Do you have any insight on the actual picture quality differences between the two devices using real movie material? That is, are the differences subtle or they are significant and thus, the price difference is justifiable?
Have a read of the forum reviews of both TVs, they should give you the information you need.
Whether the price difference is justifiable, is something only you can decide.

Paul

RuatoTre

Novice Member
Have a read of the forum reviews of both TVs, they should give you the information you need.
Whether the price difference is justifiable, is something only you can decide.

Yes, I have. I just try to find out what are the "real life" differences and how visible they are in real usage. Yes, HZ2000 is better but I would like to understand how much better.

One additional piece of information, my room is not pitch-black but I have blackout curtains so it is quite dark.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Yes, I have. I just try to find out what are the "real life" differences and how visible they are in real usage. Yes, HZ2000 is better but I would like to understand how much better.
Any opinion from forum members will be subjective, hence why I recommended the reviews, which do include comments "real life" differences. HDTVTest will also provide this. And yes, those will too be subjective however, you'll be able to objectify them as the same pair of impartial eyes will be used for the analysis.

I'd suggest that differences will be down to peak brightness of specular highlights and the way the panel handles image retention, and the recovery from having bright static objects on the screen. This is where the HZ2000 will be better. You'd not notice either of these in isolation, you'd need the HZ1000 and HZ2000 side by side to appreciate them.

One additional piece of information, my room is not pitch-black but I have blackout curtains so it is quite dark.
A pitch black room isn't desirable but, a room where you can control the ambient light level is. It sounds like you have that.

Paul

RuatoTre

Novice Member
I'd suggest that differences will be down to peak brightness of specular highlights and the way the panel handles image retention, and the recovery from having bright static objects on the screen. This is where the HZ2000 will be better. You'd not notice either of these in isolation, you'd need the HZ1000 and HZ2000 side by side to appreciate them.

Thank you, this is exactly the type of information that I am looking for. As I am getting my first OLED, I'm pretty sure that HZ1000 will most definitely create a WOW effect and investing the extra for HZ2000 is not feasible for me at this point.

CaptainJames

Thank you, this is exactly the type of information that I am looking for. As I am getting my first OLED, I'm pretty sure that HZ1000 will most definitely create a WOW effect and investing the extra for HZ2000 is not feasible for me at this point.

As @youngsyp points out, it is very much a subjective judgement. If however you do not need the sound capabilities of the HZ2000, then unless you are the type of person who must have the extra 2% of picture quality at any cost (nothing wrong with that if you do), you will not be disappointed with the HZ1000.

RuatoTre

Novice Member
As @youngsyp points out, it is very much a subjective judgement. If however you do not need the sound capabilities of the HZ2000, then unless you are the type of person who must have the extra 2% of picture quality at any cost (nothing wrong with that if you do), you will not be disappointed with the HZ1000.

Thank you!

Yes, exactly my original thoughts. That is, I do not need the enhanced audio and I do not want to pay almost double the price for very subtle enhancements in picture quality. As I am now renovating my home, there are a lot of "money holes" to fill..

Anyway, I will need another set in a year or two and I will reconsider then whether a flagship version is feasible. After all, maybe the increased OLED production capacity will lower the prices and maybe it also enables Panasonic to introduce a 77" version.

mn3

Novice Member
Is there a way to turn of the screen and have music on? I have a receiver connected with optical cable and and Apple TV connected directly to the tv. When I turn of the TV, the sound dies. I know Samsung tv have this function. Thanks in advance

Ultra2man

Is there a way to turn of the screen and have music on? I have a receiver connected with optical cable and and Apple TV connected directly to the tv. When I turn of the TV, the sound dies. I know Samsung tv have this function. Thanks in advance
Select the main menu then select picture, scroll down to screen settings and press select and you will find the screen display option .

Ultra2man

Thanks a lot! Do you know if there’s a shortcut on the remote?
Not that I’m aware of, maybe try the e-help.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom