Panasonic HZ1000 (TX-55HZ1000) OLED TV Review & Comments

SonOfSJ

55 and 65-inch only for all the Panasonic models this year.
Or indeed any year thus far. I was speaking to a Panasonic representative in John Lewis about a year ago, and I said to him (yet again) that it was a great shame that Panasonic didn't do a 77-inch OLED, as other manufacturers did. He smiled sadly and said yes, he had tried to tell his superiors that ....

Last edited:

CaptainJames

Or indeed any year thus far. I was speaking to a Panasonic representative in John Lewis about a year ago, and I said to him (yet again) that it was a great shame that Panasonic didn't go a 77-inch OLED, as other manufacturers did. He smiled sadly and said yes, he had tried to tell his superiors that ....
They must have their reasons why not. Perhaps they believe that the retail cost would be prohibitive and therefore unprofitable? I assume they would sell for circa 4.5 - 5K ?

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
They must have their reasons why not. Perhaps they believe that the retail cost would be prohibitive and therefore unprofitable? I assume they would sell for circa 4.5 - 5K ?
I believe it comes down to the quantity of the available panels from LGD. This should improve when more lines start production and I don't think it's a lack of interest in adding more sizes from Panasonic.

Steelhorse75

Looking at one of these and everyone mentions the movies at home feature which sounds cool but what’s it like for football?
Thanks

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Looking at one of these and everyone mentions the movies at home feature which sounds cool but what’s it like for football?
Thanks
Don't worry about that. Football on my GZ looks fantastic in HD and 4K so I can't see it being any worse!

CaptainJames

kevjp

Watching terminator on uhd but 4k pure direct on filmmaker mode set to off and cant be changed. Is this correct. Sky q.

choddo

No brainer ;)
Just installed mine. One thing missing. It doesn’t have VRR. That is very surprising for a late 2020 TV. I can live without it. Picture is great on HLG from SkyQ and 4k disk - DolbyVision was very impressive in Leon.
Netflix didn’t ramp up to full 15Mb properly like it did on my EZ952 but my network may have been under the cosh when I tested it earlier.

oh and yeah, that image processing chip STILL skips a frame on a scene change. Happened maybe 2-3 times in 2+ hours. I’ll have to test that some more.

B3anstar

Watching terminator on uhd but 4k pure direct on filmmaker mode set to off and cant be changed. Is this correct. Sky q.
Do you have multi window on or was it Dolby Vision? either of those disable it.

B3anstar

no idea, that's just from the manual :)

also, i thought dolby vision gets applied on the picture modes, so you can be in filmmaker mode and dolby vision applies when a source triggers it.

choddo

There’s no DV on Sky. I just tried and get the same thing. Maybe doesn’t work with 50Hz signals?

choddo

Going to backpedal on the frame skipping thing. Tried it again this morning on a scene where I thought I saw it last night. Didn’t happen. So I’ll keep an eye out but maybe I imagined it or something else was causing my xbox-x to hiccup. Each time, it seemed to be just after a scene transition though. Points at more likely to be a human perception thing than hardware?

kevjp

Going to backpedal on the frame skipping thing. Tried it again this morning on a scene where I thought I saw it last night. Didn’t happen. So I’ll keep an eye out but maybe I imagined it or something else was causing my xbox-x to hiccup. Each time, it seemed to be just after a scene transition though. Points at more likely to be a human perception thing than hardware?
thanks guys. Probably getting calibration from canary jules in a month. He'll know what's going on and I'll pick his brains for help,

choddo

thanks guys. Probably getting calibration from canary jules in a month. He'll know what's going on and I'll pick his brains for help,
Just tried a disc at 24Hz and it works. Think it might be restricted to that framerate. I couldn’t really see a difference between PureDirect and what I’d set up on Professional1.

CaptainJames

Actually that's a good point Kev- I have noticed that the 4K and 1080p direct modes are permanently grayed out - anyone know why, and also what they are supposed to do?

choddo

Actually that's a good point Kev- I have noticed that the 4K and 1080p direct modes are permanently grayed out - anyone know why, and also what they are supposed to do?
See my post 4 minutes before yours :)

I think it needs to be YCbCr 4:4:4 content rather than a framerate restriction. But I reckon the chances of anything outside a UHD disk using 4:4:4 is pretty remote. Set top boxes use 4:2:0 and game consoles use RGB.

Steelhorse75

This looks like the one ill be getting. JL and Currys sold out. Typical.
How long do JL take to get stock in normally?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett