Panasonic HZ Series - Freesat v Freeview?

EliteStu

Good evening.

I've had a 65HZ1000 for a couple of months, using the Freesat connection to a dish (plus NetFlix etc), as our house has never had a Freeview aerial installed by the look of it.

A few weeks ago the FreeSat signal started going bad (a few channels started droppping out) and has now gone completely. Initially thought it was the TV itself, but I've tested with a Freesat box and it would seem that I have an LNB, dish or cable issue during the winter weather.

I am going to get an Aerial company around this week, but I'm wondering if it's best to just get the dish repaired (new LNB etc) or go with an new aerial instead.
I had a look around on Google and the channel list between FreeSat and FreeView looks very similar .Some pros and cons of each. What I was suprised about with the TV was no EPG on FreeSat. I think I get a decent EPG is I go FreeView instead?

Would appreciate some opinions from Panasonic GZ/HZ owners. Stick with FreeSat (possibly cheaper than installing a full new aerial?) or go FreeView (better EPG?).
My neighbours tell me they get a very good signal on FreeView.

I'm sure the aerial company will have their own option but woudl be good to hear yours in advance!

Many thanks,
Stu

mikej

Recent Panasonics don't officially support Freesat, hence the lack of EPG. I have both an aerial and dish connected to my GZ, but only use Freeview because of this.

The Freeview EPG on the GZ is OK, so i guess it depends how much you think you'll make use of it vs no EPG on Freesat.

Freesat does seem to have a lot more channels than Freeview but the vast majority of these extra channels are garbage as far as I can tell. The lack of Channel 4HD on Freesat is poor, although I gather there are often ways round this if you know how to tune manually.

Freesat can sometimes be a good option in areas where Freeview reception is poor but if your neighbors get a decent Freeview signal, then that's a good sign.

If I was in your position, I would probably get a Freeview aerial installed, especially if it looks like you might need a new LNB, coax and/or dish.

EliteStu

Recent Panasonics don't officially support Freesat, hence the lack of EPG. I have both an aerial and dish connected to my GZ, but only use Freeview because of this.

The Freeview EPG on the GZ is OK, so i guess it depends how much you think you'll make use of it vs no EPG on Freesat.

Freesat does seem to have a lot more channels than Freeview but the vast majority of these extra channels are garbage as far as I can tell. The lack of Channel 4HD on Freesat is poor, although I gather there are often ways round this if you know how to tune manually.

Freesat can sometimes be a good option in areas where Freeview reception is poor but if your neighbors get a decent Freeview signal, then that's a good sign.

If I was in your position, I would probably get a Freeview aerial installed, especially if it looks like you might need a new LNB, coax and/or dish.
Thanks very much. That's extremely helpful info!

I have someone coming out this afternoon to take a look at the current issue and quote me to replace/repair the Dish/LNB versus fitting a new aerial. Sounds to me as though the FreeView option is the way to though. I suppose if money is no object I could get he dish fixed AND get an aerial installed and get the best of both worlds. From memory, I can switch between FreeSat and FreeView by tiggling the "TV" button.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Good evening.

I've had a 65HZ1000 for a couple of months, using the Freesat connection to a dish (plus NetFlix etc), as our house has never had a Freeview aerial installed by the look of it.

A few weeks ago the FreeSat signal started going bad (a few channels started droppping out) and has now gone completely. Initially thought it was the TV itself, but I've tested with a Freesat box and it would seem that I have an LNB, dish or cable issue during the winter weather.

I am going to get an Aerial company around this week, but I'm wondering if it's best to just get the dish repaired (new LNB etc) or go with an new aerial instead.
I had a look around on Google and the channel list between FreeSat and FreeView looks very similar .Some pros and cons of each. What I was suprised about with the TV was no EPG on FreeSat. I think I get a decent EPG is I go FreeView instead?

Would appreciate some opinions from Panasonic GZ/HZ owners. Stick with FreeSat (possibly cheaper than installing a full new aerial?) or go FreeView (better EPG?).
My neighbours tell me they get a very good signal on FreeView.

I'm sure the aerial company will have their own option but woudl be good to hear yours in advance!

Many thanks,
Stu
To be honest I would get both options. There are definitely more channels on the Freesat (though no guide now is a bit of a pain). And its good for channel swapping etc if you don't have a separate box etc. I like having both options myself.

Also - download the Freesat app to your phone and then you have a live TV guide for those channels.

Tuono r

So how did you get on Stu ?
I have the 55" Panasonic twin tuner, & at first not a 100% good picture on freeview.
I fitted a new Freeview areal (Log Periodic) & cable, & instantly the picture improved.
After checking the whys etc, I found there was water inside the coax cable. So a good job done.
Freesat is off the old sky dish from 2001 & still as good as ever although extremely rusty.

mikej

I fitted a new Freeview areal (Log Periodic) & cable, & instantly the picture improved.
After checking the whys etc, I found there was water inside the coax cable. So a good job done.

Yes, old coax (plus modern, cheap stuff) can be hollow like that - I had water get into an old signal booster box I had in a bedroom, years ago. Water must have been getting into the cable at the aerial end and travelling along it (capillary action). Modern, foam-filled coax should eliminate that problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom