Panasonic HZ OLED Series Owners Thread

Ebcdic

Established Member
Reaction score
I've ordered an HZ1000 (55") to replace my 2010 Panasonic plasma TV. Due to arrive on Monday.

It's arrived, and it works. Looks good on Freeview HD. The only UHD source I currently have available is Amazon Prime Movies, and that looks good (though audio is not perfectly in sync). My previous TV was a P42VT20B. There are so many things to adjust it will be a while before I can really judge it.

I'm thinking of doing the same, despite the stand, the "plasma like motion" is what really caught my attention. Whether it is as good, or has limitations (eg much reduced brightness when enabling it) is for you to tell us!

I'm thinking of doing the same, despite the stand, the "plasma like motion" is what really caught my attention. Whether it is as good, or has limitations (eg much reduced brightness when enabling it) is for you to tell us!
Can you suggest any material for testing this? I looked at some UHD HDR videos on YouTube and couldn't really see any difference in the motion with black frame insertion enabled. The picture is certainly noticeably dimmer, and for some videos it became much dimmer between "min" and "mid" settings, for others only between "mid" and "max".

My HZ1500/ HZN1507 should arrive tomorrow. Right now I have an AG9 with bad vignetting, but a comparison might be interesting anyways I guess.

Can you suggest any material for testing this? I looked at some UHD HDR videos on YouTube and couldn't really see any difference in the motion with black frame insertion enabled. The picture is certainly noticeably dimmer, and for some videos it became much dimmer between "min" and "mid" settings, for others only between "mid" and "max".

Not really, but Vincent uses the image of a spaceship flying over the moon as a torture test for motion but I don't know which show its from. You'll just have to watch all the scifi there is now :)

Though maybe Gravity (which is a worthwhile film) would be good as it has a lot of motion against black space.

Though maybe Gravity (which is a worthwhile film) would be good as it has a lot of motion against black space.
That's a movie and thus 24Hz, so not a good candidate for checking motion handling. To do that, you need content that is displayed at 50/ 60Hz.
US documentaries, from an appropriate source displayed at 60Hz would be a good place to start as the TV can use the full 120Hz BFI, which can then be assessed.

Paul

Not really, but Vincent uses the image of a spaceship flying over the moon as a torture test for motion but I don't know which show its from. You'll just have to watch all the scifi there is now :)

I think it's from wall-e

Welcome home :). I will post some comparison pics once it is installed.
07EE13DC-12BE-43A5-A1F0-609FBA072DC1.jpeg

Alright, some preliminary findings in comparison to the AG9:

In SDR, both TVs look pretty similar (even upscaling looks similar to me). Calibration out of the box looks pretty similar as well. However, in direct comparison the Panasonic looks just a but more natural, especially with skin tones.

In HDR, I prefer the Panasonic. Dolby Vision ist just brighter than on the Sony and near black details are better on the Panasonic as well. Dolby Vision IQ appears useful to me, especially in brighter rooms. In dark rooms it looks identical to DV dark in terms of brightness. However, some settings are activated and greyed out in DV IQ (e.g. noise reduction). HDR-content from Youtube looks pretty similar in terms of brightness. The Panasonic seems to preserve some more bright highlights though.

Concerning motion, I actually prefer the Panasonic as of now. I have not noticed any frame skipping so far and I guess I shouldn't go looking for it either. MCFI can be set more gradually on the Panasonic (on the Sony, Motionflow on 1 looked too juddery (does that word even exist?) to me, whereas Motionflow 2 was too smooth and produced some visible artifacts. On the Panasonic, I currently use IFC on 4 for blur and judder reduction and I'm pretty happy with it (the right amount of smoothness and, to my eyes, less artifacts the on the Sony). BFI is on low at the moment (for SDR). Medium appears similar in terms of brightness. So both appear useable and I cannot notice any flickering.

Even sound is pretty good on the Panasonic. While the sound does not come directly out of the screen, it just sounds a bit more refined and voices sound less aggressive than on the AG9 (probably due to the settings I used on the Sony). In terms of bass response, the two sets are pretty similar.

The OS ist nothing to talk home about. It gets its job done, seems stable so far and slightly less smooth that Android TV on the Sony (never thought I would ever say that). Let's at least hope it is more stable than Android TV. The App Store is basically the same as on my DMP-BDT320 from 2012. It even shows that some apps were added to the store in 2012/2013, so it might really be the same. If Android TV was more stable, I would definitely prefer it (Airplay 2, more apps, voice commands for YouTube etc.)

So far, the HZ1500 appears to be the right choice for me. While I was not happy about my short C9 trip (mainly due to terrible banding, but also the picture out of the box just looked less natural to me and MCFI was not on par), I am very excited about my HZ1500 so far.

Below, some comparison pictures (both TVs set to DV Dark). Maybe at least the difference in brightness might visible here.

IMG_5321.jpgIMG_5322.jpgIMG_5348.jpg

Alright, some preliminary findings in comparison to the AG9:

In SDR, both TVs look pretty similar (even upscaling looks similar to me). Calibration out of the box looks pretty similar as well. However, in direct comparison the Panasonic looks just a but more natural, especially with skin tones.

In HDR, I prefer the Panasonic. Dolby Vision ist just brighter than on the Sony and near black details are better on the Panasonic as well. Dolby Vision IQ appears useful to me, especially in brighter rooms. In dark rooms it looks identical to DV dark in terms of brightness. However, some settings are activated and greyed out in DV IQ (e.g. noise reduction). HDR-content from Youtube looks pretty similar in terms of brightness. The Panasonic seems to preserve some more bright highlights though.

Concerning motion, I actually prefer the Panasonic as of now. I have not noticed any frame skipping so far and I guess I shouldn't go looking for it either. MCFI can be set more gradually on the Panasonic (on the Sony, Motionflow on 1 looked too juddery (does that word even exist?) to me, whereas Motionflow 2 was too smooth and produced some visible artifacts. On the Panasonic, I currently use IFC on 4 for blur and judder reduction and I'm pretty happy with it (the right amount of smoothness and, to my eyes, less artifacts the on the Sony). BFI is on low at the moment (for SDR). Medium appears similar in terms of brightness. So both appear useable and I cannot notice any flickering.

Even sound is pretty good on the Panasonic. While the sound does not come directly out of the screen, it just sounds a bit more refined and voices sound less aggressive than on the AG9 (probably due to the settings I used on the Sony). In terms of bass response, the two sets are pretty similar.

The OS ist nothing to talk home about. It gets its job done, seems stable so far and slightly less smooth that Android TV on the Sony (never thought I would ever say that). Let's at least hope it is more stable than Android TV. The App Store is basically the same as on my DMP-BDT320 from 2012. It even shows that some apps were added to the store in 2012/2013, so it might really be the same. If Android TV was more stable, I would definitely prefer it (Airplay 2, more apps, voice commands for YouTube etc.)

So far, the HZ1500 appears to be the right choice for me. While I was not happy about my short C9 trip (mainly due to terrible banding, but also the picture out of the box just looked less natural to me and MCFI was not on par), I am very excited about my HZ1500 so far.

Below, some comparison pictures (both TVs set to DV Dark). Maybe at least the difference in brightness might visible here.

View attachment 1320984View attachment 1320985View attachment 1320986
The panasonic has more watts for sound.. I thought it is 80 watts ?

I guess that’s correct, but the difference in wattage between the Sony and the Panasonic does not necessarily tell anything about sound quality. It’s rather about the built in speakers, their positioning etc.

It seems DV picture quality in terms of brightness, has always been below par with Sony, compared to its rivals: LG and Panasonic.

I may be in the market for a new tv due to my Panny 65 CR852 in at Currys repair dept now, hopefully will know early next week if it can be repaired or not. If not I will hopefully get a refund to enable me to get a new tv.

I was looking at a GZ950 65" at about £1800 but see there is a new model coming out soon (July) the HZ980 65" no prices yet or when exactly available. The 55" version issupposed to be £1700 so if the 65" was £2000-2200 that would do me nicely as these new sets have eArc so can get uncompressed audio to my Denon X4500 avr which would be a plus over the GZ950.

Just hoping the new HZ980 comes out early July though as if my old tv is a scrapper I don't want to wait too long to get a replacement as having to use a spare Hisense 43" 4k tv at the moment and a step down from 65" to 43" is real pants.:(

It seems like my panel is Vincent's panel's ugly little sibling. It has the same red-brownish blob in dark gray areas. Just like his HZ1000, his A8 and FlatpanelHD's HZ1000. I wonder how many other panels might be affected. I have not noticed it in real content so far, but I guess it might be visible in darker scenes.

I wonder if 2020 will be the year of the brown blob...

The photo exaggerates the issue, but I think it becomes abviuos:

IMG_5386.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see anything like that.
I think Vincent said it was 65" screens he had seen it on. Sony LG and Panny IIRC. I have to get a new set and 65" is the sweet spot so I am going to fall foul of it I suppose.

The second time I turned the new TV on, a message appeared on the screen about automatically ordering Freeview channels so that (I think) HD channels would appear at the top. The message disappeared before I had digested it and has not reappeared. I can easily rearrange the channels myself but does anyone know how to enable this automatic ordering?

My 65HZ1500 arrived yesterday & although I haven't had much time to play with it yet, first impressions are really good. It replaces my GZ950B that developed a fault so picture-wise I've already been spoiled. The filmmaker mode with intelligent sensing works remarkably well. I'm not a purist so I'm happy to let it adjust settings depending on ambient light and to my eyes it does a great job. Dolby Vision is excellent as well. @JayPee2610 I've checked mine on a 5% screen & I don't have the brown blob that yourself and Vincent have experienced so probably best to keep an eye on it and return within your 30 day window if it persists.
As far as sound is concerned, it's really good but I think it would be enhanced by a sub. I don't want to spend a fortune but could someone recommend a reasonably priced one that would compliment this tv.
Many thanks ....... FGiz.

Attachments

• 5% screen.jpg
    5% screen.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,146
Last edited:
Regarding a subwoofer I am not sure what subwoofer connection is provided on the tv but most subwoofers are connected to a/v receivers with a phono connection and not sure what Z1500 has so check that before buying any sub.

My 65HZ1500 arrived yesterday & although I haven't had much time to play with it yet, first impressions are really good. It replaces my GZ950B that developed a fault so picture-wise I've already been spoiled. The filmmaker mode with intelligent sensing works remarkably well. I'm not a purist so I'm happy to let it adjust settings depending on ambient light and to my eyes it does a great job. Dolby Vision is excellent as well. @JayPee2610 I've checked mine on a 5% screen & I don't have the brown blob that yourself and Vincent have experienced so probably best to keep an eye on it and return within your 30 day window if it persists.
As far as sound is concerned, it's really good but I think it would be enhanced by a sub. I don't want to spend a fortune but could someone recommend a reasonably priced one that would compliment this tv.
Many thanks ....... FGiz.

What was the issue with your GZ? And how much of an upgrade is this over your GZ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom