Panasonic HZ OLED Series Owners Thread

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
It’s the inferred with the remote that’s the let down that u have to point it at the receiver

I really don’t understand this, are you trying to change the channels in a different room?

For example your in the Kitchen and the TV is in the living room?

olliden

I really don’t understand this, are you trying to change the channels in a different room?

For example your in the Kitchen and the TV is in the living room?
No lol , when watching reviews they have mentioned if anything is in the way between the remote and the sensor it won’t work as the remote needs to be lined up. When using the LG remote you can have it resting on the sofa arm and it works.

CaptainJames

No lol , when watching reviews they have mentioned if anything is in the way between the remote and the sensor it won’t work as the remote needs to be lined up. When using the LG remote you can have it resting on the sofa arm and it works.
If I had anything between the remote and the TV, I wouldn't be able to see the TV.

Chamberlain

As i have a soundbar the remote is a bit of an issue, the soundbar blocks the signal a little so if i want to use the remote i have to raise my arm. Bluetooth would obviously be way better.

CaptainJames

If tv is on a stand and you have say a coffee table with a cup in the way it blocks the inferred. It was on hdtvtest.
It would have to be a very strategically placed coffee cup. But such is the nature of Infra red light.

JayPee2610

That’s mad as here the hz1500 is more by a fair bit. Wish it was that cheap in the uk as would buy that. That’s the only reason I’ve not got a Panasonic due to price and smart tv features.

Panasonic’s sales policy and (non-existent) marketing are crazy here. Logically, the HZ1000 should be cheaper than the HZ1500.
But then the HZ1500 is a dealer-exlclusive model, which is only offered by some dealers here, while the HZ1000 appears to be the mass market model (which in return wasn’t available for quite a while anywhere here). Panasonic also decided to throw out several HZ1500 models under different names (HZX1509, HZF1507, HZT1506, HZN1508) and no model called HZ1500. They are all the same but sold by different dealers and are not reviewed by anyone. So most people don’t even know they exist, (they are not even listet at Panasonic’s website). So the confusion is perfect.

Spiritgeometry

I use the mobile remote:

App Store

Google Play
I am using only netflix and Prime natively on the TV and since I have a receiver I was thinking of getting all in one device control system. A lot of manufacturers are all trying to cut costs on either materials, remotes etc. And even not adapting an Operating system which could evolve and include all of the popular apps. They are not conscientiously listening to us. Some reviewers think they listen to them but I am doubtful. I think it is dependant mainly on Economics and their tech road map. For instance Panasonic seems to be the leader and the main distro for the HDM! 2.1 chipset which is being clocked at 40Gbps on most systems. Panasonic is the slowest company to announce their full ranges too They are not in a rush on 2.1 or 8K. They could fool the consumer and market it and include it in their products now but I am thankful they did not as I am not using 8K media and do not expect to be interested maybe in a few years. I am totally content with 4K as I was with 1080 since last year. Everyone diving into the new stuff is kind of premature when even our fastest internet speeds are not up to par with the media stream. It has to be compressed and that takes away from the best experience. Blu-ray has survived and I think Samsung and LG are looking to kill it with fast adaption on new tech even in the premature stages of new stuff and failing the consumer. They dont care. Just looking to turnover product quick and paly catchup on bugs and fixes later. Even the amps have suffered their releases in relation to the consoles. Software always lagging behind software and hardware jumping ahead at blazing speeds which is craziness. Now is a good time to buy tech since we are stuck at home but I would not look for the one box solution as it will fail to please. It is worth buying a Panasonic now and like I mentioned earlier you can work around it and that is how I like to play it. Moving on with the chipset shortages and now the Audio chipset factory catching fire and adds to other delays, I suggest buy what you can, even last year tech and be patient and reap the rewards of a good picture or great sound. Especially in this climate.

Spiritgeometry

Panasonic’s sales policy and (non-existent) marketing are crazy here. Logically, the HZ1000 should be cheaper than the HZ1500.
But then the HZ1500 is a dealer-exlclusive model, which is only offered by some dealers here, while the HZ1000 appears to be the mass market model (which in return wasn’t available for quite a while anywhere here). Panasonic also decided to throw out several HZ1500 models under different names (HZX1509, HZF1507, HZT1506, HZN1508) and no model called HZ1500. They are all the same but sold by different dealers and are not reviewed by anyone. So most people don’t even know they exist, (they are not even listet at Panasonic’s website). So the confusion is perfect.
Maybe the audio enthusiasts are their target with HZ1000, the sound bars and AMPS etc.

S3rv3d

Can anyone confirm they see the same on Netflix Suits S5 E15 approx 15:00. The pixelated lines. It’s throughout the whole episode, but less visible. I’m pretty sure I seen it on the previous episode too. I get it on ATV and the TVs Netflix app. Not sure if it’s a bitrate starved content issue.
B975FE97-4AAC-48BA-AFDC-DBAD3AE447AD.jpeg
FF7FE024-E9C4-423A-9994-09FEB1BA1F54.jpeg

Last edited:

JayPee2610

Yeah agreed after seeing that.

So I received the potential replacement unit yesterday. Judging by the packaging, it was transported under a truck rather than in it. The flashing is exactly the same, so I guess its age to assume there is more viewer's variance rather than panel variance in this regard.

However, the screen is quite a bit brighter (the old one measured about 690-700 nits peak brightness on a 1% - 10% window, the new one between 760 and 780 nits). On the other hand, the screen is absolutely terrible in terms of bright uniformity. It almost looks like a rainbow. The left is greenish, the middle yellow and the right....something else (it looks slightly worse in the picture than in reality, art least the pink part). It baffles me how a screen like this can pass quality control (unless it is due to transport, but I doubt that, since there are a lot of cases like this one among all brands offering OLEDs).

I guess I will settle with my previous unit then. It only has a reddish tint on the left, which is hardly ever visible (except for white screens). Sure, peak brightness is darker, but I guess that's only visible in direct comparison. I could get another replacement, but from my experience it can only get worse (so far I've had terrible banding even up to about 20% stimulus, half the screen pink, and a Sony that had no brightness gradations (2, 3 an 4% were basically the same brightness) and hence no details below 5% but otherwise a perfect panel).
So I will just tell them I'm going to keep the previous one for a 300€ discount.

IMG_9368.jpg

Chamberlain

Oh wow that looks awful. And yes with near black issues i suspected its more down to viewer variance. These Panasonics are not perfect but they supress the near black issues more than enough for me.

S3rv3d

Will I be able to take advantage of Quick Media Switching with my Yamaha RX-A2A receiver when it gets the 2.1 firmware update if sources are connected to it. I’m thinking not because the HZ doesn’t support VRR, is that correct? Even if the receiver supports it.

fzst

Hi guys, I'm currently deciding on a new TV. I am moving next month and my current LG C7 won't be staying with me. I could do without a new TV for a while but since prices seem to be pretty good right now I doubt that I would gain a lot if I waited for the 2021 models to arrive and get prices down (I would buy a cheaper 2020 model anyways).

After quite a lot of research I pretty much narrowed it down to an LG CX or a Panasonic HZ 1000. Mostly because I get both for a pretty good price here in Switzerland right now. The CX is only a hundered bucks cheaper, so price is not that important.
I don't game at all so I don't care about Hdmi 2.1 features other than eARC - which both have. I mostly care about PQ although I really like the LG's operating system and general featureset, it just seems more modern and futureproof (although it's a huge bummer that they did drop DTS support for 2021).

I didn't really notice black crush or any bad near nlack handling on my C7 like I do on my Dell XPS OLED - and it really bothers me there. I just like the idea of the "best" TV in that regard as I would mostly watch movies on it, even though the CX would probably be more than sufficiant for me.
Is the Panasonic still that much better in terms of general PQ and displaying near blacks even after the latest firmware update from LG which supposedly id fix this issue?

Last edited:

mn3

Received my Sonos Arc yesterday. I watch all my stuff from Apple TV 4K.
Discovered that I have a slightly lip sync issue with Plex when watching movies with 23.976 fps.
(And no Atmos with EAC 5.1, but that's a Plex issue on the Apple TV 4K)
Netflix and Apple TV+ are working great.

Have I missed any settings on the HZ1000 itself?
Everything is on auto, not on Bitstream or PCM.

Thanks!

johnjo569

Received my Sonos Arc yesterday. I watch all my stuff from Apple TV 4K.
Discovered that I have a slightly lip sync issue with Plex when watching movies with 23.976 fps.
(And no Atmos with EAC 5.1, but that's a Plex issue on the Apple TV 4K)
Netflix and Apple TV+ are working great.

Have I missed any settings on the HZ1000 itself?
Everything is on auto, not on Bitstream or PCM.

Thanks!
In the Sonos app there is lip sync slider you can use to try and reduce lip sync issues. I can't remember if it delays or accelerates the sound outputted.

Its located on the Arc set up page if I remember rightly.

I have Apple 4k Tv on my HX2000 but prefer the inbuilt apps for Netflix & Prime.

mn3

In the Sonos app there is lip sync slider you can use to try and reduce lip sync issues. I can't remember if it delays or accelerates the sound outputted.

Its located on the Arc set up page if I remember rightly.

I have Apple 4k Tv on my HX2000 but prefer the inbuilt apps for Netflix & Prime.
I will try that and see if that helps. Thanks!

Last edited:

Chamberlain

Been watching alot of ”The Americans” on Prime Video. While its still looking good its noticeable its not the most pristine content exactly but its so nice to see how well the HZ1000 handles it. Especially dark scenes. This TV just does everything so well and im suprised that even almost two months later im still so impressed by it.

reklor

Does anyone know if the 55HZ980 is easy enough to use a wall mount/third party pedestal using the vesa holes? looking at pictures of the rear it looks like the top holes are hidden?

S3rv3d

Does anyone know if the 55HZ980 is easy enough to use a wall mount/third party pedestal using the vesa holes? looking at pictures of the rear it looks like the top holes are hidden?

The top holes are set back. But they come with some screw standoffs which you screw in first. Which then makes them flush with the back.

I mounted my 65 to a 3rd party stand and to the IKEA Uppleva stand with no problems

reklor

The top holes are set back. But they come with some screw standoffs which you screw in first. Which then makes them flush with the back.

I mounted my 65 to a 3rd party stand and to the IKEA Uppleva stand with no problems
Thats great thanks. So these standoffs are definitely included with the tv? just making sure because there is no mention of them being included in the instructions on the panny website. TIA.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney picks up Sony's cinema releases post Netflix in US
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony unveils X-Series wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 21st April 2021