• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic hz 1000/1500 settings only help

buddyspudface

Established Member
hi everyone, i am having a nightmare with my new 65hz1500. having lived with a samsung 65js9500 for just under 5 years, i have never owned a OLED and i am totally lost with all the settings on offer.
it was easy on the js9500, backlight low numbers, turn the colour down, insert motion handling and BANG your done.( sort of ).
the Panasonic has options galore but none seem to do very much. i watched the " Martian" in 4k as my first viewing and though good, it was to bright for us and at the same time hard to see details in the dark areas.
i know all panels are different and as such personal calibration settings are not the answer but what would really help is advise on general settings to help with the following.
1: a mixture of old movies/shows like carry on films,detectives,thin blue line,all4.etc etc
2: general modern things like Netflix,blu-ray movies
3: finally 4k content and hdr
nothing else mattrers just the above, at the moment we are disappointed with the picture quality but i am sure its just setting it up better for our content. below is a list of out outfit:
Panasonic 65hz1500
Denon x4200w 9.1 atmos receiver
nvidia shield pro 2019
Netflix 4k
soon to get Appletv+
LED multi coloured ambi-light behind tv
i really appreciate any advise or info on what all these settings actually do on this tv. pictures of your settings would be easier to copy as a starting point. Please can we keep this help thread to just settings and not get side tracked into other topics. very much appreciated "thank you"
20200925_192640.jpg

jamct

Established Member
Agreed, each new model year and additional feature adds to the confusion so start here:

& maybe here:

As more posters obtain their HZs some of them already posting on the dedicated HZ1000/1500 threads will post there so you will need to browse those threads as well.

Note - Letting the TV 'settle in' with the 'out of box ' settings for several days can result in less adjustments in the long run. Some reviewers have stated that this model has better pre-adjusted settings than many other models to date.

1 other tip... In showrooms, TVs are usually displayed with the Picture Mode to DYNAMIC to compensate for the bright lighting. Generally this setting is too bright for the typical home, so avoid. Good luck.😉

Last edited:
You don't say which picture setting you are using? Avoid Normal as it far too blue. I use Pro 1 as a starting point, then

Luminance 50
Contrast, Colour,Brightness - default
Sharpness - 0
IFC min
Warm 2
all other bells and whistles switched off.

I also set Red Saturation to -2 as i felt red was a bit hot.

For HDR, I use the default settings, with DV set to DV IQ.

I am sure others have more sophisticated settings, this is just what has worked for me so far.

One other thing - personally I'm not a fan of Ambient lighting, it does affect the accuracy of what you see.

buddyspudface

Established Member
thank you both, this is the stuff i was hoping to read. with so many preset options i am hoping i can keep one preset for each item i want to view if thats possible.
out of the box settings were all way to bright for us, really bright this tv is compered to our last set. all features have been turned off right now basically because we dont know what they are doing.lol the only option i have turned on and the one of main reasons for getting this particular brand and modal is the BFI option.
i have found that WARM ! is best suited to our viewing and at the moment i am using the bt ???? gama setting as a way of making the screen less bright.
what i am trying to accomplish is a less bright screen but great black detail. i watched Jumanji ( welcome to the jungle ) on blu ray last and "wow" we have never enjoyed a movie so much in years. the motion handling was just awesome, only slight blur on a few occasions but you had to be looking for it to have noticed it but never did it detract from the enjoyment of the film. but thats just being picky. at the moment we have added plus 20 to the bright settings to increase the dark detail but side effect of lighting the entire screen including black bars.

Luminance 30
Contrast, default
Colour 46
Brightness +20
Sharpness - 1
BFI low
everything else off
i am sure i read somewhere that sharpness should never be on zero but i dont know where or why. like i said this is great stuff and i want to learn from other peoples experiences and which to try suggestions as offered.
i am off to read them links and hope you all enjoy the sunshine.
IFC min
Warm 2

jamct

Established Member
You say picture was way too bright, which Picture Mode have you now selected?. If its DYNAMIC try Pro 1 as suggested by Cpt James.

Last edited:

jamct

Established Member
Why not get your TV professionally calibrated?
When I upgrade to the 55HZ1500 in the near future I will consider it.

'Word of mouth' recommendations are generally preferred by me so are you able to advise typical cost and best calibrator in the Greater Manchester area?. Many thanks.

EDIT - Just quickly searched the web and located these companies:

displaycalibration.co.uk ......... £260

isfcalibration.org .........£300

Are these realistic prices?

Last edited:

choddo

Prominent Member
Yes that’s a typical price.

Doesn’t Vincent Teoh live in the north west?

Anyway - @buddyspudface - I would have that ambilight stuff off for a start. Some subtle backlighting is ok (I have a pair of standing lamps about 3m from the TV each side) but too much will kill dark detail as your eyes will adjust.

I’ve got largely out of the box settings and think it looks fantastic. All of my inputs come in via HDMI2 so no individual source adjustment.
SDR
Pro1
Warm 2
No IFC, no black frame insertion, no NR,
Luminance 50
Contrast 90
Brightness 0
Colour 50
Sharpness 30 (not played with this)

HDR almost the same except;
Luminance 100
Contrast 100

When I upgrade to the 55HZ1500 in the near future I will consider it.

'Word of mouth' recommendations are generally preferred by me so are you able to advise typical cost and best calibrator in the Greater Manchester area?. Many thanks.

EDIT - Just quickly searched the web and located these companies:

displaycalibration.co.uk ......... £260

isfcalibration.org .........£300

Are these realistic prices?

Typical prices, yes, but I'm not convinced that these 2020 panels justify the cost of calibration due to their accuracy out of the box. If you read the reviews that are carried out by professional calibrators, they freely admit that calibration only improves delta errors that are too small to be visible anyway to near zero. If you can't see it, then why pay for it? All you are getting is a computer print out that confirms it has been tweaked from accurate to "accurate +".

Then you have 300 quid or so to spend on Netflix and Sky subs.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom