Question Panasonic HX800

AdamClayton84

Hello.

If I purchase a Panasonic HX800 television.

Will there be much difference in picture quality between two 4K players.

I am looking at both the Panasonic UB450 and Panasonic UB820.

Will the picture quality be very similar with these two players on the TV?

Thanks.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
There's not a lot of difference between the two machines when it comes to picture and sound quality. The UB820 has more picture adjustments and a front panel display; the UB450 has a nasty remote (see the UB450 thread -- it's easy to replace with something better quite cheaply), has a wall-wart PSU and no front panel display. I have both machines but I actually prefer the simpler UB450 design, as it's fanless. An A/B comparison would probably highlight some differences, but then the UB820 is a more expensive machine. If you're lucky, you could pick up a UB450 from Argos for £139 at present. The UB450 doesn't have any apps. like Netflix or Amazon Video, but they'll be available via your TV anyway.

AdamClayton84

There's not a lot of difference between the two machines when it comes to picture and sound quality. The UB820 has more picture adjustments and a front panel display; the UB450 has a nasty remote (see the UB450 thread -- it's easy to replace with something better quite cheaply), has a wall-wart PSU and no front panel display. I have both machines but I actually prefer the simpler UB450 design, as it's fanless. An A/B comparison would probably highlight some differences, but then the UB820 is a more expensive machine. If you're lucky, you could pick up a UB450 from Argos for £139 at present. The UB450 doesn't have any apps. like Netflix or Amazon Video, but they'll be available via your TV anyway.
Thank you.

Have you had both machines to compare. I have heard the UB450 is missing the HCX Processor as well as HDR tone mapping and Digital Tube Sounds.

These much to compare against.

I have the UB450 here but thinking of returning and paying the little bit extra for the UB820 to go with my HX800 TV that I am thinking of purchasing.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
The 450 doesn't have the HCX processor. That's one of the differences that I alluded to, along with the HDR tone mapping. If they're important to you, then the 820 is your friend. For me, the lack of those features doesn't seem to be that important, as the bulk of my disc collection is DVD and BRs, and the player upscales those very well. I would keep the 450 for now, and grab an 820 so that you can compare the two. 4K pictures on both machines is pretty good, and from what I understand, the DV implementation on the 820 is not as good as that of the 450 -- check-out the 820 threads for precise details, as I could be mis-remembering.

AdamClayton84

The 450 doesn't have the HCX processor. That's one of the differences that I alluded to, along with the HDR tone mapping. If they're important to you, then the 820 is your friend. For me, the lack of those features doesn't seem to be that important, as the bulk of my disc collection is DVD and BRs, and the player upscales those very well. I would keep the 450 for now, and grab an 820 so that you can compare the two. 4K pictures on both machines is pretty good, and from what I understand, the DV implementation on the 820 is not as good as that of the 450 -- check-out the 820 threads for precise details, as I could be mis-remembering.
Which machine are you using? And what is your current TV?

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I forgot to mention that I’ve had both machines previously hooked up to my Panasonic GX800 TV. I get far better results when I use them in conjunction with my LG.

AdamClayton84

I can't seem to find a LG 2019 model anymore.

Only the 2020 versions. Think I should hold out till they get a price reduction on the Nano86?

Thanks.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Yes. Although my LG has a number of annoying quirks and foibles, it’s an all-round better package. More HDMI ports, more apps., Freesat, and so forth.

k9182

Novice Member
sorry to jump into another topic and i need help... I do some google search and no luck in finding the comparision of below 2 models.

Panasonic HX800

Sony X90

65 inch of Panasonic HX800 and Sony X90H about the same price level. Which one is better choice in quality and reliability?

Panasonic HX800 seems has better than sale than Sony, however, few Black friday sale review highly recommend the Sony x90

Please help and give me some advice.

Thank you very much.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I don’t rate Panasonic TVs. I wish that I’d never bought my GX800. Sony for me, if it was my money that I was spending. Better specs. and smart TV capabilities.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom