Question Panasonic HX800 vs HX940

Dano911

Standard Member
Hello, I'm new to the forum.

I'm looking to buy a 40 or 43" TV and I've narrowed it down to the Panasonic HX800 and HX940. I'm not sure which to choose and advice would be appreciated.

I understand that the HX800/HX820B uses a VA panel and therefore has deeper blacks and better contrast. However, I'm concerned about the viewing angle and the slower 50 Hz panel. The HX940 seems better in this regard (100 Hz) but being an IPS panel I expect the contrast will suffer. It does have something called 'Local Dimming Pro Intelligent' however so I wonder if that makes a difference. Can any owners speak from experience? Reviews for the 940 are very hard to find.

I went to John Lewis to compare but they only had the HX820B on the floor.

I normally watch TV in a moderately-lit living room, mainly for movies and streaming services.

Any and all advice appreciated!

rupert81

I own an fx750 which was their top of the line lcd from a couple of years ago. The local dimming will be pretty similar. To be fair it does a very fine job with SDR content and colours are amazing. With HDR however the image suffers because it's lit from the bottom and has a low contrast. The HX 800 will be a better bet if HDR is your thing For SDR and general tv watching the HX940 will be better. I have own Panasonic lcd with VA in the past and they use panels that have really bad viewing angles. If you have ambient light and don't care about HDR i'd go with the IPS all day long.

Dano911

Standard Member
I own an fx750 which was their top of the line lcd from a couple of years ago. The local dimming will be pretty similar. To be fair it does a very fine job with SDR content and colours are amazing. With HDR however the image suffers because it's lit from the bottom and has a low contrast. The HX 800 will be a better bet if HDR is your thing For SDR and general tv watching the HX940 will be better. I have own Panasonic lcd with VA in the past and they use panels that have really bad viewing angles. If you have ambient light and don't care about HDR i'd go with the IPS all day long.

Thanks for the advice.

Viewing angle and colour quality is important to me - I really hate the fading effect when I move off-centre. I went to see the HX820B in-store on Saturday and it was hard to gauge because of the lighting, but I did notice some fading when I stood to the side a little.

I don't have much experience with HDR as my current set doesn't have it. I was hoping to experience it, but it's not a total loss if the HX950 struggles here. I was just worried the blacks would look like greys with it being an IPS and all. I really just want a set that has good, consistent colour (without having to sit exactly in front), acceptable contrast in the evening, and smooth motion.

rupert81

Blacks will look fine in a room with ambient light. Must stress that i have a lamp behind my tv, it's on a wheeled stand. That made all the difference between having grey blacks and getting more perceived contrast. Philips ambilight is a fantastic solution for this problem but you can buy led strips that go behind the tv.

bazzae123

I have the 820B from JL and will say one thing, the off center viewing is terrible. I find as soon as you move from center the picture becomes washed out, I'm so glad I have the right setting :) If you get this TV and have the on line services like Netflix and Prime you'll find the HDR, Dolby just brilliant, not as good as OLED but very pleasing. I've just brought some back light LED strips today so will check them out tonight. Oh, I forgot, this is my bedroom TV. If you decide to go for this TV and want the back light a word of warning, get a set with a on/off switch as it appears the TV keeps power ON to the USB in standby unless I can find a menu setting to disable it LOL

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-S60A + LG SP8YA soundbar & KEF LS50 Wireless II Reviews: Movie & TV Show News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom