Panasonic HV-VX891 4K camcorder won’t work with a external field monitor?

addyplay

Novice Member
I recently got a Panasonic HC VX981 that I want to use for filming high school soccer. I have 2 field monitors, a Atomos Ninja V and a Freeworld 4K FW568, but the camera won’t let me view anything through the field monitor when trying to film on 4K or in HDR. The only way I can get it to work is in 1080p recording, then the camera and both monitors will work. In 4K or HDR, when I plug the HDMI Type D to HDMI cable to either monitor, I can see what the camera sees. But the moment I hit record, both field monitors go dark/blue screen and the only view is from the small on camera LCD.

As you can probably imagine, following a soccer ball around on a tiny 3 inch screen is difficult…hence the larger 5.5 monitors…but nothing I do seems to work. I tried the monitors on other 4K camcorders, even on my Canon 5D DSLR, and they work in 4K. I’m thinking it’s something to do with the camera itself, but I’m not sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

12harry

Distinguished Member
Hi- I wonder if this is normal? You should check the User Guide (expect some difficulty where several models are combined), The internal processor chip may not be up to doing what you are expecting.
If you have a Smartphone ( Check camcorder Guide), it may be possible to connect in 4K/HDR modes, although picture quality may suffer....for a small screen:- maybe "good enough".
One suspects you needed a nearer-Pro camcorder to achieve what you want...sorry to say. I understood the Atmos" recorders bypassed some of the compression that is recorded in the camcorder - giving a "better image" - HD won't be 4K, but maybe close-???

Also, - Have you experimented with a "wire-frame" ( to follow soccer-balls ), ? First, try bending wire from plastic-covered coat-hanger. This should help, but cannot allow for the far-zoom settings.
+Sometimes I think: when you are without others filming, = you need two camcorders, linked horizontally and vertically =on one tripod.
#1 is WA "catch-all" . . . #2, is your zoomer.... and you only Edit-in successful follow-shots. Beware of tripod-noise, so one camcorder should have an external mic (( well away from the fans!))- this should be your "AF master track"

Hope that helps..H.

FWIW:- When I filmed a football match I found finding the ball a real problem - partly due to not understanding where it might fall. Rugby, by comparison tends to have players on the ball making it an easier target.

Another consideration might be - does the AUDIENCE need 4K?

chrishull3

I recently got a Panasonic HC VX981 that I want to use for filming high school soccer. I have 2 field monitors, a Atomos Ninja V and a Freeworld 4K FW568, but the camera won’t let me view anything through the field monitor when trying to film on 4K or in HDR. The only way I can get it to work is in 1080p recording, then the camera and both monitors will work. In 4K or HDR, when I plug the HDMI Type D to HDMI cable to either monitor, I can see what the camera sees. But the moment I hit record, both field monitors go dark/blue screen and the only view is from the small on camera LCD.

As you can probably imagine, following a soccer ball around on a tiny 3 inch screen is difficult…hence the larger 5.5 monitors…but nothing I do seems to work. I tried the monitors on other 4K camcorders, even on my Canon 5D DSLR, and they work in 4K. I’m thinking it’s something to do with the camera itself, but I’m not sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Have you contacted your supplier about your problem,the Ninja V may not work with your camcorder,here is a YT about the Ninja V

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom