1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic HT-1500 Can't record and watch

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by DW4444, Jan 22, 2005.

1. DW4444

DW4444

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The family all clubbed together to update my old folk's video etc. and the Panasonic HT-1500 looked like to perfect answer. I was used to a Pace Twinview which despite early faults now performs well and lets you record one channel while watching another (hence the obvious Twinview name !). I had expected the fully spec'd Panasonic to at least cope similarly and handle multiple feeds (though I knew it didn't have multiple tuners).

However, as soon as you set it to timer to record a forthcoming programme, you lose access to any other channels. Hmmm. Not really what was expected.

The real problem is that they have an NTL Cable box which is fed into the Panasonic and then out to the Philips TV so as soon as they've set a programme to record, they lose all the NTL channels (even if they wish to record from the terrestrial tuner in the Panasonic).

There are so many plumbing and connection options that I may have missed the obvious but some guidance / help would really be appreciated from this forum's experts.

Apologies if I've missed relevant threads (first post). I search for the HT-1500 and didn't find much as it's fairly new kit but I appreciate that there may be others threads which address this sort of problem.

2. Plumby

Plumby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi I'm thinking of getting the HT-1500 with the TX-32DTX40 IDTV. Sid you manage to resolve this and what are your thoughts??

Cheers,

Paul

3. DW4444

DW4444

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kind of.

Once the record timer is set then the unit will only allow playback. The workaround I found was to use the AUX input for sound direct from the NTL box and have a second SCART lead from the NTL box direct to the TV. Fortunately there is only minimal lag between the picture and sound and it works OK really. Its a little confusing for my old folks to have to switch between so many inputs but is workable.

Overall, performance of the 1500 is good but not for the uninitiated. Its certainly not as flexible as I would have hoped and the lack of a program guide and the inability of the EXT LINK function to automatically start recording when the NTL box tells it to (though my understanding from the supplier is that this is a PACE STB problem and the Samsung STB does work OK) is frustrating as you have to set TWO timers to record anything that requires a channel change.

Good luck.