Panasonic HS300 & External Mic problems?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by andymoore, Mar 8, 2013.

1. andymoore

andymoore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Hopefully someone could help me on here.
    My hobby/interest is aviation, so i spend a lot of time down my local airport filming aircraft. I use a Panasonic HS300 camcorder with a external microphone which is a Nikon ME-1, both do the job perfectly, although there seems to be some kind of interference or "zapping" sound every 5 seconds which appears in the video when i play it back, it only comes from the left side when listening through the speaker/earphone's?
    Listen carefully, you can hear the noise in the video:
    (HD) BMI ERJ 145 Airbus shuttle to...

Thanks
    Andy :)

2. Chelters

Chelters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Radar???

3. andymoore

andymoore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Radar interference?
    never gave that a thought.. is there a way of stopping that or no?

4. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    my thought too, but easy to check if you can get it in frame and see if it is beeping yr camcorder.
    I'd think it was illegal, as Euro-rules on interference are quite strict and this might affect communication with the pilot.
    Secondly, does it happen if you don't use the ext. mic . . . and can you confirm you've not changed the mic-cable.

BTW I make it five in 15 sec, so the gap is under 4-seconds . . . . if they have a rotating radar scanner I suggest you film that (but I'd expect that to be slower???) . . . . You could try making a pay-phone call and see if it's on the BT line too.

Sometimes these things happen because some component's been changed and in taking the old bits apart an interference item's not been replaced correctly. You could also try their "Helpline" but consider that they may take unkindly to spotters complaining - or attempt to Ban/Charge you . . . . so I'd keep quiet for the time beng.

If they have some "newsworthy" Event, the News-Pros will soon complain, in case their boss thinks they did it!.

5. andymoore

andymoore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The radar is out of sight down the far end of the airport behind some tree's. There is no interference or "zapping" when i use on board microphone. And i have not changed the mic cable.
    I was wondering if there was some sort of attachment/adapter thing that goes on the wire that could resolve interference?

6. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    -OK -
    you could try to slip a ferrite ring over the lead (and you can get pairs that come with a clip to get tight onto the cable without cutting the plug off. But this is not very scienticic . . . .

Are you sure it isn't on earlier shoots . . . . seems off this has started only recently.

As to Radar position . . . why do you think behind-trees makes any difference . . . the radar goes twice the distance to the aircraft, so nearby on the airstrip is likely to be a strong signal . . . that's why I suggest you film the rotating scanner, and see if that corresponds to the interference.

Anothe possibility is a jack-plug (I'm assuming), which has intererence supression ferrites . . . you plug the mic into this- and then plug it into the camcorder.
    Are you sure the mic-cable is properly screened? You may find a fancy double-lapped one behaves better - try to borrow one if you belong to a film-making club, etc.