1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic HS2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mikescollan, Dec 10, 2003.

1. mikescollan

mikescollan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my wife to buy me a Panasonic HS2 for Christmas :D

Does anyone know what the audio output is from on eof these? Do I now need an Aamp or can I just connect up a set of speakers to give 5.1 sound?

The Comet Website (no! She didn't buy it there) says the output is 5.1 audio, which makes me think I don't need an amp, just need some advice please.

Regards,
    Mike

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The 5.1 output is optical digital, and unless your tv has a built-in Dolby Digital decoder, you'll need to connect it to an a/v amp or decoder to get 5.1 surround sound. The HS2 has no decoder or amplification whatsoever.

3. mikescollan

mikescollan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this even though the website says:-

in addition to
    Is there a suitable entry level AV (or AMP and Speaker set?)

Would like to keep costs down as am hoping to convert a garage early next year to house a Full blown system. The set up I get now will be used to impres on the wife the benefits of such a conversion!

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Comet site is wrong. Check out Richer Sounds for cheap av amps and speaker packages. Some all-in-one systems include a dvd player which you may or may not want.

5. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on the quality of sound you want and how much space you have.

I would recommend going for an AV reciever, 2 front speakers, a center speaker, 2 rears and a subwoofer.

I have a very cheap but decent quality budget system which gets complimented all the time for sound quality and I'm pretty pleased with it myself. You could get something similar form Richer Sounds for not too much dosh.

It cost a very reasonable £450 for the reciever , 5 speakers and a sub (original selling prices totalled over £1000) plus about £90 in cables. The reciever, front and rear speakers all got 5 star reviews in the magazines when selling for over twice the price I paid. When you think about it, £540 is probably around what you paid for the HS2, so an equivalent on a sound system is probably about right.

If that's too much you can get a cheap all in one system for about £150 but the quality will be much lower. But you've got a quality piece of kit, so why compromise it?

6. mikescollan

mikescollan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses guys.

Bobones, I persuaded the wife to get me the Panasonic HS2 instead of a surround all-in-one system. Would have to leave it a little while if I wanted to get a system with a DVD player included as she would give me the old "But I thought you said you wanted one of these (a) not one of those (b) (where 'a' costs 2x the price of 'b')"

Calscot, The £150 price band would be preferrable at the moment. I get my annual bonus in March/April and that will be used to convert the garage and get a better quality surround system to go with a projector etc. The current set up, which is going to be in the house, doesn't need to be top notch.

Thanks again,
    Mike

7. mikescollan

mikescollan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS,

Calscot, I havn't seen an all-in-one system for less than £220. Am I looking in the wrong places?

Regards,
    Mike

8. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    £200 could get you a Pioneer VSXC100 a/v receiver (£120) and a Yamaha speaker package (£80). Even cheaper is Eltax receiver (£100) and Eltax speakers (£70). See www.richersounds.co.uk

9. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. mikescollan

mikescollan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thannnnnks again guys,
    However I am now confused. Bobones says that the HS2 has no decoder or amplification.
    Calscot, I have followed the link you gave.
    Does this speaker package do the decoding? How can you tell?
    Does it amplify? How can you tell?
    Is it worth give Richer Sounds a call? Would they be able to help? When they ask me what the output I presume I just say that it has an Optical 5.1 output? Does it also have a co-axial output? Would they require any other information? I obviously don't have the manual yet (won't get it until Christmas day) so am hoping those of you with a HS2 will be able to point me in the right direction.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm very new to this and would like to get up and running as soon as possible.

Thanks again,
    Mike

11. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think that package needs analogue outputs (i.e. the dvd player needs to have an on-board decoder). Go for my £200 suggestion.

12. mikescollan

mikescollan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again bobones,
    I'm looking at The Yamaha NSP100 Speaker set (Nice looking with Active sub) and the Sony STR-KSL5 AV receiver.

Any comments, Is this a wise choice?

Regards,
    Mike

13. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I'd go for the Yamaha RXV340 at £140 or the Yamaha HTR5630 for £150 if you want silver.

I would check that your choice of amplifier has decent binding posts for the speaker cable as spring clips are just rubbish. If you get proper ones you can buy some cheap banana plugs later (about a pound each) which make it so much easer to unplug and plug in again and is also much easier for biwiring.

You don't have to buy all your speakers at once and you could just start yourself off with a couple of decent floor standers for about £100 like the Liberty 5's or the Mission M73i's and then add the rest as finances allow.

This is your livingroom hifi too as you can play cd's and the radio on your system.

Remember to factor in about £20 for a decent digital interconnect and about £30 for decent speaker cable but again you can buy these later.

"Honey we need to spend £20 on an interconnect" a bit in the future sounds like peanuts... ;)

14. mikescollan

mikescollan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Calscot,

I looked at both of these receivers, but liked the look of the slimline SONY better. I could stretch my wallet to the Pioneer VSXC301 if this is a better choice, but would need to stay slimline (my wife does not want anything in the lounge that would 'dominate').

As far as speakers go, the same applies. I would rather save money now and get the speakers I want when I get the garage done (probably March/April) when looks will not be important (as that will be *MY* area).. Unfortunately, its my wife that is funding this (I get spoiled), so I have to compromise on some things.

What is biwiring? I am a complete vigin and you just have to be more gentle : grin :
    I am not an audiophile, I just like the sound of a good film played on a surround sound system. I was sold when I hear my brothers (all-in-one) system.

Havn't forgotten about the speaker cable and interconnects.... that'll be a 'Damn, forgot about xxxxx' when I get to the checkout.

Regards,
    Mike

15. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand your quest for aesthetics although it's not a always good idea to put form over function. You could be surprised how good larger equipment looks. I have a small livingroom yet don't think my screen, speaker and av stuff dominate.

If you're upgrading later then buying a cheap and chearful system isn't too bad as it's usually in the long term that you start to get fed up with the limitations of a system. Upgraditis is pandemic on these forums!

At least you'll be left with an unobtrusive system for the livingroom.

Perhaps you should see if an all in one system like this has digital audio in so that you leave a dvd player in the lounge.

Biwiring is when you take seperate wires from the amp to your woofer and tweeter. This gives a better sound due to reduction in interference from reflections in the signal. It can only be done on speakers designed for this purpose.

16. mikescollan

mikescollan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Calscot,

Will have to research around a bit more. I may have to take the wife along so see can decide if a particular unit fall into he 'intrusive' catagory, because her idea of intrusive is not the same as mine! May wait until after christmas to see if I can get a better deal.

On the subject of my 'to be' home theatre garage conversion.... I notice you have a Sanyo Z1. In hindsight, would you still have gone with this type of projector? Would you now have gone for a DLP unit or are you happy with the quality of TFT? I have read about 'honeycomb' effect, Do you have any advise on this front?
    Apologies to all for taking this a bit off-topic.

Regards,
    Mike

17. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very happy with my Z1 and would not go for DLP due to myself and my partner being sensitive to the "Rainbow effect". Do a search if you don't know what that is.

However, I wish that Sanyo had released the Z2 6 months earlier as it has much higher resolution (1280 x720) meaning there are no pixelisation effects at normal viewing distances. The Z1 suffers a little bit from time to time but it isn't too distracting and I find interlacing artifacts much more annoying but I've cured that with a Home Cinema PC. 1:1 pixel mapping is nice too.

The contrast is good on the Z1 but I would like a tad more and the Z2 is reputed to have a contrast ratio of 1200 to 1 (about the same as some low end DLP's). It also has DVI in and I'd say it's definitely the one to go for now. You can't beat it for it's price.

18. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS you can always look at my living room home cinema set up here to judge if my equipment is intrusive...

Cheers,
    Cal.