1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic HS2 - will it play DVD-R written from other sources?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TP2K, Oct 18, 2003.

1. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am at a crucial point in making a decision on the Panny HS2 machine... howeber, doing my research I have come across this statement from Amazon in the Technical Data;

DVD-R Playback Capability*
    (*This unit can play back Panasonic DVD-R discs recorded with Panasonic DMR-E20 DVD video recorder. It may not be able to play some DVD-R discs depending on the condition of the recording.)

- now, I understand the bit about playing back DMR-E20 recorded discs, but not the latter.

Are they saying the HS2 will NOT playback DVD-R discs recorded on another system?

ie. if I have made a DVD-R (a standard compliant disc, I might add) on my PC drive, is this going to play on the HS2??? This, for me, is quite a crucial matter since I make many discs via my PC writer...

Thanks if anyone can clear this up.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    No - the HS2 WILL playback non-HS2 DVD-Rs. I have had numerous MPEG, DivX and Windows Media Video recordings that I have converted and authored on my PC into DVD-Video and burnt onto DVD-R that have played in my HS2.

The comment refers to the ability to play the contents of a non-finalised DVD-R disk - in somecases the HS2 may not be able to add a recording to a disk that has had one recording put on it by another type of recorder. If that disk has been finalised it will play (provided it complies with the DVD-Video structure - the same as any other player).

3. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak, you're a STAR!

Thanks for this - I thought I finally made my choice, only to have it dashed by Amazon's comment... seems I may still have my choice in sight. :smashin: