• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Panasonic HS2 failed format

dibberly

Hi all

after installing the plasma i reconnected the HS2 and it needed to format the HDD, slightly p*ssed as there was stuff there that i wanted but as it would not do anything else it had to be formatted.

Formatted in under a minute but next day needed to remove the power again, once plugged in had the dreaded "unformatted" message - as it only had one program on there that i had watched i never hesitated in formatting it...but came up failed??

Everytime i try to format...failed.:mad:
removed power - powered up - format yes/no.....failed:mad:

Is this thing toast now?

If it is any recommendations for another to go with a 506XDE and NTL cable TV?

Thanks for reading

clockworks

Have a listen to it when you first switch the mains on and power it up.You should hear the HDD spin up, then a single click as the heads load. Any multiple clicks, or the sound of the HDD spinning down, and you need a new HDD. Shouldn't be too difficult to replace it?

ROYOLD

Think the firmware only recognises original size. How come you posted this in the PVR & VCR section? Surely the HS2 is a dvd recorder.

dibberly

Thanks for the reply - Will have to see if i can upgrade the firmware

Sorry if its in the wrong section...i assumed that PVR is Personal Video Recorder?

Apologies

ROYOLD

You are correct PVR is Personal Video Recorder but the Panasonic HS2 is a dvd recorder. Covered in the forum just ahead of this.

Panasonic don't issue firmware updates for UK released models. There are some firmware updates around but these are for the U.S.A. machines so be careful of any updates. There was a posting in the DVD recorder forum on the E85 stating that trying a larger capacity HDD only resulted in the original 80GB being recognised.

dibberly

Changed the hdd to an old 20GB...bit noisey but its ok

Works ok and only loose about 6hrs on the long play time

It will do me and saved it going down the tip

Thanks guys

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom