Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic HS2 DVD Recorder & Sky Dig

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by garymort, Jul 5, 2003.

1. garymort

garymort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just bought a Panasonic HS2 DVD Recorder and am having trouble setting it up.
    I have it connected to my Sony TV with a SCART lead going from AV1 of the DVD Recorder to the RGB Scart socket on my TV.
    I then have a SCART cable going from AV2 to the TV Scart on my Sony 760 Sky Digital Decoder.
    Within the settings I have AV1 and AV2 set to RGB and AV2 set to Decoder.
    Now when I move up the channels on the HS2 I have Sky on all, no terrestrial on any.
    If I change AV2 to Normal instead of Decoder I can then see the 5 terrestrial channels but cannot find SKY.
    Is there anybody else with a similar setup that can offer any advice?

Thanks

2. garymort

garymort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I meant to say I then have a SCART cable going from AV2 of the DVD Recorder to the TV Scart on my Sony 760 Sky Digital Decoder.

Thanks

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Yeah I have the same setup. I have TV Out on my Sky unit going to AV2 on my HS2 and then AV1 on my HS2 going to RGB-in on my TV. I have it set as 'Normal' not decoder. When setup like this I 'see' Sky when the HS2 is off (and Sky is on) or switched on and tuned into channel AV2.

Sorry to suggest sucking eggs so to speak but have you verified the coaxial ariel is properly attached to the HS2? Do you have it routed through Sky first - if so maybe the auto setup function screwed up and just tuned every channel to Sky? Have you checked that both AV1 and AV2 are set for RGB? If you switch off the HS2 can you watch RGB Sky?

4. garymort

garymort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worrys on the sucking eggs front, most problems have the simplist solutions after all.
    Both AV1 and AV2 are set up as RGB.
    I thought that AV2 should be set as decoder?
    Anyway when its set to Normal I can see the 5 terrestrial channels and Sky on AV2.

So I assume this is now exactly as you have yours set up?
    It does seems like a very nice piece of kit.
    This morning I tried to see if it would play Mp3's out of a folder burned on a CDR and it doesn't - no big deal but it would have been nice.

Last thing - Are you using DVD-RAM discs with yours?
    If so which do you recommend me getting?

Thanks for your reply.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Yes you have the same setup which IMHO makes the best use of the kit in that you can record in RGB from Sky.

It is a top piece of kit. I suggest recording anything you want to archive in XP mode on the HDD, edit as required (using partial erase) and then dub to DVD-R in FR mode. That way your maximising quality and getting the best from the machine.

I have around 50 Panasonic DVD-RAMs (all in caddys as this virtually guarantees no data loss). They aren't the cheapest though - so shop around or do a search of the forums (where you'll find a few threads on cheap DVD-RAMs/DVD-Rs.

I mainly use the DVD-RAMs for temporary storage. If I'm uncertain whether I want to archive something to DVD-R I copy it from the HDD to the DVD-RAM (using High Speed Transfer). When I want to archive it I then do a high speed dub back to the HDD and then Flexible Record (FR) to DVD-R. Works a treat.

If you have a PC DVD burner then you can dub things from the HDD to DVD-RAM in FR mode and then use a programme like TMPG Encoder to demux the .VRO file into video and audio streams which you can import into a authoring programme (enabling you to add custom design menus etc).

6. garymort

garymort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your suggestions, I'll be sure to take them onboard.
    I have found the Panasonic LM-AD240 9.4GB Double Sided DVD-RAM Disc with caddy for £14.00 at www.avland.co.uk with free delivery for orders over £20 so I may just buy a couple if I can't find any cheaper after checking though the forums.

Many thanks for your time.

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If it is set to decoder, you can only see and record from the digibox, no matter what channel you set it to. This is intentional and allows you still to view sky when timer recording etc.

Set it to normal and you can record from any analogue channel, or sky on av2, but you will have to route another scart from the second scart on the digibox, via a vcr if you wish to another scart on the tv. This is because when timer recording from analogue you cant view sky via the hs2, and have to switch to the alternate non rgb output from the digibox to see it.

A tip for all those who have been plagued with recordings of sound and a black screen!
    This is because if you press the tv button on the sky remote to allow the tv to be switched to an analogue channel perhaps or to put it onto standby, this also switches the digibox from rgb output to normal which won't record.(Without going into the menu and converting the input from rgb to normal, I wish it automatically selected like a tv does)

I had no end of trouble with this due to my kids using this facility without thinking. I have resolved it by carefully cutting out the tv button on the remote, placing some insulating tape down the hole onto the circuit board and then sticking the button back in with polysulphide sealant, cleaning off any excess carefully before it sets. The remote still looks normal but the tv button no longer works, problem solved for ever and no missed recordings since. (Used to miss about 1 in 4 before)

8. garymort

garymort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some good information there Ken, I will definatly go with the extra SCART cable to an alternative Scart input on my TV.
    Its a shame that out of the 3 Scart sockets on my TV that only 1 is RGB enabled.

Not so sure on butchering the remote though !!

Thanks

9. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    No, don't!! Look here instead (£8.99) :D

10. garymort

garymort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: