1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic HS best price

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tracey, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found a multiregion version of this for £599.96, has anyone seen this any cheaper? I really want one NOW but I'm just wondering if maybe the price will be reduced even further when the new model comes out. I'd be pretty annoyed if I bought one then the price goes down to £400 or is that wishful thinking? I could wait until Christmas but when I move I'm going to ditch the VCR so I really need a decent hard drive recorder.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The price will, obviously, continue to drop but probably not by that much - it seems to be reducing at about £10-£20 a month. The arrival of the E100 is no secret so I don't think that will have a dramatic effect on the price of the HS2 (which has after all been discontinued for sometime). If you delay you will get it cheaper - but then you can say that anytime about anything!

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm it's very tempting!!!

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    It's a great piece of kit. The new E100 (due next month) has a bigger HDD and a few features the HS2 doesn't (i.e. MP3 playback, MPEG4 recording) but the core abilities, i.e. dubbing to and from the HDD and making editted archivings are all the same. The Pioneer HDD/DVDR (due November) potentially looks promising although there are questions as to whether it will have RGB in and again it has the core functionality as the HS2.

Others may disagree but if I was buying now on an unlimited budget I would hang on to see reviews of the Panasonic E100 and Pioneer 510. If I was on a more restricted budget I would seriously consider the HS2.

5. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on a very restricted budget after having just bought my AV8/P7 and PMC TB2 speakers. I've just ordered an HS2, just couldn't resist. MP3 playback isn't important to me and I decided ages ago that if the price went below £600 I would get one and it has, just got mine for £578.99 including p+p, now I just need to work out what discs to get!

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    With regard disks - you'll get a couple of RAM disks with it so experiement with those before using DVD-Rs. For DVD-R media though some good links are:

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/

http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/
    (if you can get there site to work :mad: )

The first link sells a media trial pack - it might be worth getting that to see what disks play well on your machine.

7. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +376
    Tracey

Let me know how you get on ... am thinking about an HS2 as well ... where did you see at that price ?

See you went for the AV8/P7 ... what do you think after a few weeks ?

Jon

8. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Didn't get any DVD-RAM discs with mine!

Should I be complaining to someone?

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Purchased mine on day 1 so the box contents might have changed over the last 12 months. I got two DVD-RAMs included though - one in a Caddy and one not.

10. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once I work out how to use it I'll let you know what I think, I probably won't do much recording to disc at first, I wanted it mainly for the hard drive because my mother has 'aquired' my vcr :mad:

I love the AV8/P7, really pleased with it, I can't stop playing with it, the dilemma is whether to blast a CD or watch a film, they both sound so good. I've decided that for me films sound better with THX on (I think they're supposed to, but I haven't even had much of a chance to read the manual yet), and as for CD's I pefer using the analogue connection (using a Chord Chorus) it just seems to sound a bit more natural, but when I've got friends over I quite like using the party mode for music, sounds better if you're not sitting directly in front of the speakers, seems to impress everyone, not that I'm showing off of course. I still can't belive how loud it can go without the slightest bit of distortion. Definitely recommended :clap: :D :smashin:

11. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry forgot to say I got it from www.totaldigital.biz I've never used them before so I'll let you know what the service is like, hopefully I should get it by next week.

12. midlandswarrior

midlandswarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will wait with interest to how the service is. down to £550 now as well

13. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Typical the price goes down just after I've ordered it, oh well. It was delivered on Friday (I ordered it Wednesday afternoon), so very good service, I would use them again. First impressions are how shiny it is, it has a mirrorred finish, looks much nicer than in the pictures I've seen. I haven't had a chance to really play around with it yet (too much DIY to do) but I did record the Benn v Eubank Gladiator programme on Channel 5 last night (onto the hard drive) and it recorded perfectly, very good picture, sound was ok but I was just playing it through the tv. when you record things on the hard drive it names them for you (well some of them) I suppose it depends which programmes have names (a bit like RDS on radio stations), my friend said that it named Sex & The City. When you bring up the screen that shows a list of what you have recorded onto the hard drive, it has a small icon that plays clips of it so you can instantly see what you've got, rather than merley having the time and date of the recording. so first impressions are that it's pretty damn good, once I've had a chance to record onto disc and read the HUGE instruction manual I'll give you an update.

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    :blush: Sorry! It CAN'T drop that much more - it's discontinued and has been for months!

My first impression of this was that I had been seen off. All the pictures I had seen had made me think the 'mirrored' bit was actually black :D After getting over the shock I have accepted the mirror finish looks much nicer than black would have done.

It only does this on some of the terrestrial channels. Still it's a useful feature - saves you messing about with the 'virtual keyboard'.

15. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh and the remote is awful, really plasticky and a dodgy sprayed silver colour. I can't see it lasting long, especially as you have to pull down the bottom section to get to the rewind and fast forward buttons, why didn't they put those on the main panel they are used all the time! I can see lots of people ending up with that bottom bit breaking off, oh and it wold have been nice if it lit up so you can see the buttons in the dark. That's my only gripe though, apart from that I think it's great so far.

16. NickVardy

NickVardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would definately agree about the HS2 remote being a little naff. Even stranger when i tried to program the buttons into my all singing and dancing Philips Pronto Neo universal remote control only have the buttons worked. I could program the start button but not the stop button. Very odd indeed.

I archived my old copied of Star Wars off VHS onto DVD-R dics and they look and sound pretty good. You can't improve too much on the source material but until those films get released onto DVD (if they ever do) my DVD-R version will do. Very easy to do aswell.

Likewise i am very happy so far :)

17. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to program mine into my Pronto, I only wanted the basic commands, like play, stop, rewind ff etc, sounds like the codes aren't compatible then :mad:

18. NickVardy

NickVardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would understand if all the buttons didnt work but its kinda half and half. Like the up worked but the left and enter didnt. If you manage to get them all programmed in okay, let me know, i would be very interested :)

19. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will do, but I doubt I'll get a chance for a while yet, I'm up to my eyeballs in DIY at the moment, desperate to move into my house, but so much to do.