1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Hrm-e50 Problem With New Ram Discs Activating Disc Protection Lock

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CARBON, Jul 29, 2005.

1. CARBON

CARBON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All Beggining to think I have a problem with my E50. I just bought some new (10) Panasonic DVD-Ram discs and my less than 1 year old (new bought off ebay) E50 will not read the discs. Just keeps coming up this disc is protected and won't record. This is on all 10 new discs! I tried in the menu removing the lock but it will not activate the lock off setting. Anybody got any suggestions? This has me baffled as all my other DVD-Ram discs (except one which does the same thing) - work fine. As do DVD-R discs. I say work fine but I have the same freeze ups and other error problems ocassionaly I see in the forum about the E50.
    Dave.

2. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Not sure if this is helpfull to you but I had exactly the same problem with my new ES20D except that it only happened with my old Panny DVD-RAM that had been used in my previous Panny E30. Any new Panny DVD-RAM I bought recently works fine but the older -RAM would lock and I could not unlock or format???

The only workaround I found was turning the 1second record function to OFF and then I could format the disk and all is well. However your model does not have this function.

What is does highlight is that there may be some slight differences between the old version/vintage DVD-RAM and the new version DVD-RAM that the recorders do not like? :confused:

3. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cartridge type or loose ?, if cartridge type (ie, in a carrier), these have a record prevention TAB slide, also, feeler arm finger that detects this TAB may be sticking and E50 detects wrong info.
    You may also require the latest firmware, but that should not be a problem with your RAM disc, worst case, actual drive may be tired and require replacement, if it is, you may as well buy a new unit instead.

4. CARBON

CARBON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response. Can't believe that it is wearing out at only 8 months or so old?
    The discs are the single type not in a caddy. Interestingly I tried several of the discs I had bought that failed to work 24 hours later and managed to get three out of the ten that previously failed before to work!
    Once I had them working and recorded some material on them. They have given no more problems.
    One other disc looked as though it would work but eventually came up "record failure" or similar and the machine just went into a lengthy tizzy before it would let me get the disc out. I will try the failures again before I take the back to see what happens.
    Could the manufacture of the discs be less than accurate and thus outside the paremeter that the machine will read? I have never had a problem with dvd-r discs except datarite red ones. A big load of beer mats out of the 50 I bought.
    I would like to try another make of dvd-ram discs other than panasonic to see how they perform. Any reccomedations on make welcome.
    Thanks,
    Dave.

5. norfred

norfred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have used Smartbuy from UKDVDR with 100% success in eh50 e85 e50 as well as ram drives on the PC. Other suppliers stock these too
    norfred

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Sounds more like a problem with the E50 rather than the discs - it could be you need a lens cleaner (this for example).

7. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have problems with Panny RAM disc, don't bother trying other makes, unless the disc's have been mishandled with finger prints, etc, sounds like drive problem, and yes, try cleaning OPU objective lens first with DVD cleaning disc.

8. Aladdin

Aladdin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Carbon,

Did you get a solution to this? My E50 has just started doing this, that is, telling me that the RAM disk is protected when it isn't.

9. illustrator

illustrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had this problem with dirty discs, a quick wipe with a duster & problem sorted, but as the discs are new it may be the ram drive thats the problem. i'd go with the lens cleaner as Rasczak suggested

10. Jona

Jona
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just recently received some non-caddy disks that I requested from the Panasonic eshop site. I have exactly the same problem and do NOT believe that my E50 recorder is faulty. I can only think that there is some incompatibility issue somewhere. The new disks say '3x speed on them' - not sure my older 'caddy' types were the same rating. I think we need to get Panasonic to comment on this. Seems crazy having bought supplies from same company as the recorder that they don't work together!

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    I always buy Ridisc green Ram DVDs from SVP and haven't had a problem at all so far with them :)

12. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    There is a posting somewhere on these forums regarding contact with Panasonic on this and the reply from Panasonic was to use Maxell discs!

Do as JohnG says and use the Ridisc from SVP. I have some of these and they always work OK.

13. Jona

Jona
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip Royold. Have used SVP before and was happy with them. I only bought direct from panasonic on this occasion as I thought it would avoid compatibilty problems!:suicide: