Panasonic - how to get region free?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by zebe, Sep 20, 2007.

1. zebe

zebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Panasonic TV and want to buy a Panasonic DVD Recorder for compatibility. However I want region free as I have a lot of US DVD's having just moved from the USA.

I am looking at a Panasonic DVD recorder with a hard drive such as DMR-EX77, but it is not region free as far as I can tell. Is it possible to make it region free? If so, how?

2. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    there might be a code that you enter with your remote to make it region-free, or you might need to buy/rent a special remote control from a company that provides special remotes that do the same job.

but if you de-region it, you will probably invalidate the warranty so that's a consideration for you to think about before you do it.

search this forum, use words like "Panasonic region free hack" and you should find some threads which discuss it.

3. zebe

zebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks... do the reputable companies (Panasonic, Sony, JVC, Pioneer, etc) make region free DVD players? Or just the "unknowns" - eg. I bought a region free DVD player from Amazon - "Compacks" was the make - which stopped working after 2 months.

I'd prefer to buy a reputable region-free rather than hack a non-region-free.

4. 400bhp

400bhp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember reading a while ago you can buy a special remote control that will make it region free.

I am sure someone will confirm.

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    No mainstream manufacturers make region free units.
    Making them region-free voids the manufacturers warranty.

Doing it yourself is a process not without risk. It is possible to permanently kill a machine if the process goes wrong.

For this reason it is better to purchase a machine which is modified by the dealer.
    Not only is this much cheaper than retro modding yourself... but the risk is theirs , and they also have to back the warranty.

Many dealers charge a nominal fee for this .. or quite often as a 'come-on' will offer it as 'free'.

If you really want to do it yourself it requires a one-shot remote for the purpose. The price is typically £25.

Dealer mods are typically £10 ... or absorbed into the sale price.

6. SuperSeven

SuperSeven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The easiest way is to buy it from a retailer who has automatically applied the region free hack free of charge for you.

For example : http://www.121electricals.com/detail.asp/sku=DMREX77EB-K

At £236 inc vat & delivery with the region hack applied you can't go wrong.
    (This is where mine came from and I've had no problems with delivery or region issues)

7. zebe

zebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, thanks - I will do it that way.

8. chriskillen4

chriskillen4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was told that I would need a special remote. It is not right. It was very expensive too. Was given a tip about a guy who provide an unlocks instructions service DVD Unlocks 4u and they provide solution for the price of a drink. A fraction of the cost. Tried it on this and got another unlock as well. All working and well worth a drink. A friend of mine actually paid him twice to buy him two drinks because he was so pleased to have his playing all regions. Worth a go as long as you remember that it is techy all straightforward enough but still techy. As they say you can get a glitch. With some patience, you're laughing. Its http://www.dvdunlocks4u.com

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought one of the already hacked for multi region. Got it From richer sounds who price matched it with another WEB retailer and then beat the price by £10.:thumbsup: And i cld collect it from the store. so it was £217 and i dont have to spend on remotes or do it by a laptop.

10. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    It really is easy to buy one that is already region free and there would be no warranty concerns as your contract is with the dealer - who would have supplied it region free. If you have a look at the 'today's offers' bit at the top of the page on the contents section of this forum you'll see lots of dealers offering their prices on various models. When I typed this there were 17 dealers with prices for the Panasonic 87 and 14 for the 77. Work your way through them and you'll find loads of them will supply one region free. I'd be very suprised if any charged extra for it. It's a part of the deal these days.

I've bought every dvd player I've ever owned region free, wouldn't dream of buying one that wasn't. It really couldn't be easier.