1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic - how does Flexible Recording work?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nelviticus, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I thought I understood this but I just came to use it and couldn't figure it out.

I have a DMR E95, which is a hard disk + DVD recorder. What I'd like to do is record a film on timer to HD in the best mode that will fill a DVD, when I eventually get round to copying it from the HD. I assumed that when you chose to record to the HD in FR mode it would ask you how much space you wanted to take up, as it's unlikely that you're trying to squeeze a film into your remaining HD space.

It doesn't ask you though. So how does it know how much space you're looking to fill? In the main menu there's a Flexible Rec item where you can enter a time but that seems to be for immediate recording, as the only options other than the time are 'start' and 'cancel'.

I'm a bit confused!

Regards

Nelviticus

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    You can use Flexible Record via the Timer or by 'direct dial' - whatever you are specifying a length for which the DVD recorder will match the bitrate to ensure your end recording first on a standard 4.7GB DVDR. If you record onto the HDD it therefore fills a 4.7GB (slightly less actually) space.

Checkout the PC GUIDE sticky thread for a post on Getting The Most Out Of Flexible Record.

3. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Aha, thanks for that. I think I need to play with it to really understand it but that guide is a damn good start!

Regards

Nelviticus