1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic High Def 42" (finally!)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Liam @ Prog AV, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE

Just going upstairs to set it up, so if anyone's just about to phone our sales line.... don't !!

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    So is it here, then?

3. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    hope it's not loads more better than the 42 i placed an order for earlier!!!

Phil

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Thanks to all who held back and didn't phone in straight away, and those who did phone anyway (you know who you are ;)) meant I had to hold back like a whole extra 15 minutes before I could see it :( !

So, first impressions (based on no running-in time):

- from a distance the same as the PWD6.
    - up close, detail a plenty!
    - barely noticeable difference in contrast & blacks between the two models
    - similar performance from Sky on both (but a little more detailed on PHD)
    - better performance from interlaced DVD on PHD
    - stupidly good on progressive DVD
    - absolutely nuts running through a scaler or HCPC!!!

Like I said, no running in time yet and we haven't even tried DVI!

I'm thinking it's gonna be best for a forum member to do a totally unbiased review on this, so if anyone (or group of people) wants to spend a couple of hours down here playing around like they do in What Hifi then you're more than welcome.

5. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi,
    I've just been to see the new panasonic HD.
    I agree with Liam, from a distance very similar to the SD version.
    But when close up the extra detail is noticable, and I happen to sit too close to my TV.
    I think that the 'juddering' that people may be seeing with the PWD is also much less.
    With a scaler the detail was even clearer.
    The contrast is slightly less than the PWD, but as long as you don't have both in the same room you'll soon forget.
    As far as Sky goes, it's not bad, slightly more detailed, but as they say c*ap in, c**p out.
    I just watched sky on my 28" square TV and noticed the moving solid colours in the background, so reassuring me.

IMO it's the most stable, detailed picture I've seen on a plasma playing a DVD, and it would have been even better through my Arcam DV27 ! I saw no evidence of pixellation (which I have seen occasionally on an MXE).
    The last time I saw nearly this much detail it was a fujitsu at a show on demo showing a static screenshot.

I also wonder if some of the very occasional minute edge distortion was due to the dvd player/disk encoding. Anyway it was immediately cleared by the iScan Ultra.

I must also say thanks to Liam and others who could'nt have been more helpful. Cheap sounds good, but I'd like to know when mines going to be delivered !

Steve.

6. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam,

I'm looking forward to some further comments/observations on the HD panny (I have a DV27+). It's going to be a choice between the HDE 434 or the HD panny for me (I'm sure I'm not alone on that one). I'm edging towards the panny again. I'd be interested in your observations with sky+ (banding? general image quality, 2:2 pulldown etc) and with prog scan NTSC/PAL.

Thanks in advance.

JP.

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Steve's really had more time than me to play around with it! (No hint of banding in any of our setups though).

Initial impressions like I said, doesn't do that much more than the SD for straight Sky input - there's extra detail but not much. But running DVD is certainly more impressive, more impressive still running prog scan from our 757ai (and even better still from our Denon 2900!) - definitely better than the SD here. We also played around with an iScan for a bit - awesome. Final test is HCPC, so until someone gets one down here i'm gonna have to fashion one together from parts around the office!!!! Contrast, brightness etc etc all practically identical to the SD version.

In a nutshell, once you've seen it running a prog scan disc or better (HDTV, HCPC etc) you won't go back! Ever.

8. howies

howies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i really like the sound of this screen but is has to be silver. is there a cover you can put over it or have it painted or when will it be out in silver. any ideas or should i just get a pio 433 mxe in silver and have done with it.

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    We've got silver bezels on order.....

10. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any owners yet who'd like to share their comments/opinions?

Thanks

JP.

11. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are the differences between Panasonic PW6 (consumer model) and PWD6 (Commercial model)?

12. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You've answered in your own question! There may be subtle differences in the operating system on both, but in terms of physical properties and performance the only difference is colour.

13. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is DVI(HDCP) an important consideration in buying a new plasma?

I like one plasma that has DVI-D input but it is not HDCP compliant.

14. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Most of the new DVD players coming out with DVI will require you to have a HDCP compliant DVI socket.

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Arshad

Just to be clear the rest of the is thread is about the NEW Panasonic TH-42PHD6BX (Charcoal) 1024 x 768 Display model - its not available in the UK as a Consumer model.

The TH-42PWD6BX (Charcoal) and TH-42PW6B (Silver) are 852x480 panels - and as Liam says they are about 95% one and the same thing.

DVI and HDMI are both so new we are all learning as we go along. DVI will feature on many Commercial models and HDMI will feature on Consumer models - where HDMI looks like it will become pretty important over the next couple of years as more and more Consumer kit (DVD etc) include HDMI outputs.

Having DVI to DVI or HDMI to DVI outputs and inputs on your kit is no guarantee that they will work effectively together.

HDMI to HDMI will work fine but most displays with DVI inputs are really DVI for PC and as such may accept an NTSC video signal via DVI but most probably wont accept a PAL video signal via DVI.

Do your homework carefully on this issue.

Best regards

Joe

16. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Joe,

you've gone a little sideways here as DVI doesn't exist in terms of NTSC or PAL. The only reason a DVI display will not work with a DVI output is if it is a HDCP encoded signal but not a HDCP display, or, if the frequency and resolution of the output does not match the acceptable resolutions and frequencies of the display.

For instance, when the iScan Ultra converts a PAL signal to DVI it produces 576P, with a NTSC signal it produces a 480P signal. The 480P signal matches to the equivalent PC resolution of 640 x 480 but the 576P signal does not. For the Pioneer MXE (and some other displays) only computer resolutions are programmed in as acceptable and since PAL progressive doesn't match a PC resolution the iScan will not work via digital connection to the MXE.

17. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New Panasonic TH-42PWD6 is not officially launched in Hong Kong by the local panasonic dealer and they have no idea when it will be, probably in December or ever Jan.2004. So the the only way to buy it now is to buy it from the"gray market" the price is also very low infact it is even cheaper then the 5 series which is currently available from panasonic dealer. I know when it is officially launched the price will be way too high. So I just can't make up my mind to buy the grey market goods.

First it is without the original warranty from panasonic although the shop agrees to give me one year warranty but it is only from the shop i will buy it and if anything goes wrong they charge me for it even if it is within the warranty period.

Second, I am not sure whether the internal parts are original, I don't know where they actually get these goods, what if something has been changed internally.

So Can anyone please advice me on what to do. Should i buy the greay market Panasonic or should i wait when it is officiallly launched?

What are the differences between the grey market one and buy through the authorized dealer apart from not being covered by the warranty?

18. danfrance110

danfrance110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I'm new to all is but i'm looking for a plasma and this high def panny sounds like the way to go. Just to clarify though, are they available to buy in the UK yet and if so what is the model number and where is the best place to buy one?

Cheers

Dan

19. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Model number is TH-42PHD6, comes in charcoal only and was available the day this thread was started (hence the ITS HERE ITS HERE post!!!).

I can also throughly recomend AV-Sales.com but I think that would probably be a bit unfair :rolleyes:

Have a good weekend all, i'm off on a 48 hour bender then recovering on Monday so will back posting on Tuesday :cool:

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Hello all

Liam:
    I find it less confusing for those who dont have a degree in AV abbreviations to still think in terms of PAL or NTSC Video signals via DVI; as you say possibly not the politically 'correct' way of doing things but then again you do mention 'PAL Progressive' via DVI in your second paragraph :)

Arshad:
    I think only you can make the call on these grey imports! - if your local division of Panasonic wont give you any 'in life' support for these products then your going to have to be very sure that the grey importer can and will honour any warranty claims you make.

danfrance110:
    Keep in mind the TH-42PHD6BX is only available through Panasonic UK's Business Systems Division so most probably wont be appearing in your local 'shop@Panasonic' or Independent Panasonic 'Consumer' dealer at any time in the near future. (and its a fair chunk of cash more than a TH-42PWD6BX).

Best regards

Joe

21. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,

How are Panasonic Business Systems likely to treat domestic owners of the TH-42PHD6BX (or previous commercial panels) in terms of post 12 month warranty claims? Hopefully any decent dealer will still act as go-between?

N.B. When will you have prices for the above on your website, and will you be doing simliar bundle deals to AV-Sales on the the above?;)

kind regards,

JP.

22. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    kaspj

I can only speak for our customers but Panasonic Business Systems UK are very aware that many of our Plasma customers are 'Home Cinema' not 'Business' and there are no issues around 'on site' or extended warranties.

Arshad has been asking for advice on 'grey imported' products in Hong Kong so any advice or guidance I or other dealers offer to him is specific to his requests.

If you do have a 'grey imported' Panasonic plasma in the UK you need to talk direct to Panasonic Business Systems about what warranty cover you do or dont have (any official Plasma stock will have a BX suffix to the model number and any 'grey' imported Euro stock will have an EX suffix).

Ah the web site and updates - yes I'll try and get on top of it this weekend; think I said that last weekend :)

Best regards

Joe

PS We only supply offical BX stock.

23. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that for that Joe. I personally won't even consider a grey import for the warranty or service issue alone. It's reassuring to know Panasonic Business Systems won't treat domestic owners with contempt (perhaps that's a bit strong).

Now then, once the pennies are in place, Pioneer 434 or Panny 42 HD? I would very much appreciate your feedback or observations on these two over the weeks ahead.

N.B. on a separate issue:

How do you rate Bettercables Reference YUV cable against say, Nordost Optix YUV? (assuming you've had the opportunity). Any chance you can put some prices on your website too?

I can only find (on the Bettercables website) a five strand RGBHV version of the RCA to HD15 cable you've mentioned in the past (?). Is the 3 RCA to HD15 cable made to order? (and which YUV cable is used -standard or reference?).

Thanks in advance.

JP.

24. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    much is the panny hd ?

25. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    kaspj

Its the BetterCables Silver Serpent 3000 Series that we have manufactured as 3RCA to HD15 for YUV - using 75 ohm RCA connectors; up to 5.0m it comes with the decorative silver outer braiding.

The Silver Serpent Reference 3 core is too heavy for an HD15 connection so unfortunately we cant have that configuration manufactured.

I've not put the BetterCables Silver Serpent or Silver Serpent Reference head to head with the Nordost Optix - which I believe is an excellent cable too.

A web page update is in the plans for later today.

Joe

PS aRCaM - expect to pay a £700+ premium over the price of the PWD6.

26. gometsny

gometsny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the TH-42PX20U/P is the US version of the Panny 6 you are talking about?

27. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  28. howies

howies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone think that a hdmi card will ever be brought out for this hd panasonic. i too am undecided on which hd plasma to go for and if i knew if panasonic would bring out a card then this would swing it for me

29. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Hello Howies

As Panasonic Consumer have not taken the HD Display I doubt an HDMI (which is aimed at the Consumer market) card will be produced.

I guess the HD units will continue with DVI as that is aimed at the Professional market.

You'll most likely see HDMI on Panasonics next generation of Integrated PlasmaTV models whenever the PA20 units are superseded.

Best regards

Joe

30. gometsny

gometsny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the panny I mentioned TH-42PX20U/P has HDMI input