• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic Headphones connection

flopstocks

Standard Member
I have recently upgraded to a Panasonic Viera TXP50X50B from an LG 42"

On my system I have a Logitech X-530 system connected via the headphone socket, this muted the TV speakers and allowed the Logitech sound to be controlled by the TV sound on the remote giving me a good cheap sound system. However on the panasonic the TV speakers are not muted when the headphone jack is inserted, instead the headphone volume has a separate control withing the sound menu. What is the point in this?

This now means my speaker system will no longer function as I want, to change the volume I know have to go though the sound menu in to the Microphone volume section. This has really annoyed me, if I knew this I would have probably gone for the LG 50Pa4500 or the Samsung E450.

Is there anything I can do to get the headphone volume directly of the remote? Or what other options do I have.

Thanks in advance

flopstocks

Standard Member
After a bit of research I have discovered HDMI ARC. Now could I use a HDMI to phono lead and connect to my logitech speakers that way? If so would the TV remote control the volume going to the logitech speakers (I assume it probably won't, as it would behave like the optical out?). Failing that I assume my only other option would be to, connect my logitech phonos diect to the speaker wires, but this would invovle taking the TV apart and invaildating the warranty. Why is life never simple.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
flopstocks said:
However on the panasonic the TV speakers are not muted when the headphone jack is inserted, instead the headphone volume has a separate control withing the sound menu. What is the point in this?

It allows someone (perhaps with hearing problems) to listen with headphones and have the audio set at a different level from the loudspeakers.

flopstocks said:
I know have to go though the sound menu in to the Microphone volume section

Think you mean "headphone"?

flopstocks

Standard Member
Yes sorry I meant headphone, there are leads out there but as you say digital to analogue is the problem. What a pain in the ass this is

MAX1210

Prominent Member
If you don't want to use the headphone jack, you could always use the Optical output on the TV and convert it to stereo phono connector using something like this (there will be others out there, maybe cheaper, this was the first one I found) Optical To Stereo RCA Phono - Optical Cables - Toslink cable - S/Pdif Optical Audio but make sure its Optical IN and Stereo Phono OUT as most others seem to go the other way. You would then obviously need an optical cable (TOS - TOS) and a stereo phono cable.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Although that will convert the optical out to analogue audio it still won't allow the Tv to control the volume as the optical is fixed at line level.
The volume would need to be varied by the Logitech master volume control.

MAX1210

Prominent Member
Although that will convert the optical out to analogue audio it still won't allow the Tv to control the volume as the optical is fixed at line level.
The volume would need to be varied by the Logitech master volume control.

Oops. Didn't read that part of the post.

flopstocks

Standard Member
lol thanks anyway. I wired it that way originally so the volume would be controlled via the TV remote. Basically I would like a cheap 5.1 system where I could cotrol the volume via the panny TV remote. Any ideas?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
flopstocks said:
lol thanks anyway. I wired it that way originally so the volume would be controlled via the TV remote. Basically I would like a cheap 5.1 system where I could cotrol the volume via the panny TV remote. Any ideas?

The only way around it that I can suggest is a 5.1 system that comes with a remote then buy a programmable remote like a Harmony to take the place of both the Tv and audio system remotes.

MAX1210

Prominent Member
:-( What about a panasonic soundbar, could the volume be controlled via the Viera link?

Yes, or any other brand that can be controlled by VIERA Link (or other brands equivalent ) and takes audio via HDMI so you can use the arc out

flopstocks

Standard Member
Ok sounds promising, so I could watch TV, Use PS3 and Wii with the sound going through the soundbar and the sound volume will be controlled via my TV remote? I have playtv on my PS3 also which works perfect from my panasonic remote, the sound bar Viera would not interfere with this would it?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom