Panasonic HDMI Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by connect, Mar 12, 2006.

1. connect

connect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Seriously is it me? I just can't find a UK spec Panasonic DVD player with HDMI output.

They were everywhere in the US. eg DVD-S77S, DVD-S97S

Does anyone know if Panasonic will be releasing one soon. I need Panasonic because it will match my other stuff and I'm a bit gay like that!!!

Educate me please :lesson:

2. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    The Panasonic DVD-S97 was discontinued for some strange reason:confused:. You may be able to pick one up 2nd hand though...

Consider yourself educated:D

3. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Any time now the HDMI S52 should be available. It's no S97, more like an S49 give or take a few features with the addition of HDMI.

I believe S97s can still be bought elsewhere in Europe. For example Germany still show this player on their site (DVD-S97EG).

4. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    any idea when "any time now" is likely to be.

I fancy a Panasonic if no more than for the reason I have a Panasonic TV, so it would be useful to have cross functional remote controls.

I don't want to spend a huge amount on a DVD player either with HD on the horizon. It looks like the S52 should be relatively low cost.

I wonder if it will be plagued with the same problems as other HDMI players though:(

5. connect

connect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    When you say it's no s97 does that mean it won't be as good. Was the S97 some kind of marvel that was hushed by Panasonic? Is the S97 worth picking up if I can get it? Was the HDMI output to a PHD8 good. (just ordered one from the website)

So many questions I think my head might explode!! :eek:

6. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think it's already available in the states, and I was expecting it to be available here by now. The only timing I've seen mentioned is Spring '06.

Check out http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dvds52/dvds52.htm for updates.

Note that the picture is wrong. There is more info and pix in another thread in these forums.

7. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The S97 is a very good player, regardless of price, but especially for the price. It's a well designed player, with high quality components in key areas - Faroudja DCDi FLI deinterlacer/scaler, Burr-Brown audio dacs, Analogue Devices NSV video dacs, etc. The Oppo is also very good, but IMHO the S97 is better overall - especially as regards features. The Denon 1920 is also an excellent player with comparable performance, which adds SACD, but looses some features. You'd have to pay a lot more to get a significantly better player as far as video and audio performance. The S52 doesn't use the Faroudja AFAIK, but I'm sure it'll still be very good. However, we won't know how good until we start to get reviews from owners, although, it should be a step up on the S49, video wise at least, which is a good player.

8. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Last I heard from our Panasonic rep, the DVD-S52 is due out in June, but that is subject to change. I'm waiting for one myself!