Panasonic HDC-TM300 Accessories

Cheddar

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought this fantastic camcorder two weeks ago and I'm extremely happy with it, apart from two things.

1. The wide angle on this camcorder is quite poor. My main reason in buying this model was so that I can create high quality in-car training DVD's for driving instructors. I am hoping to mount the camcorder on either the door mirror or inside corner of the windscreen to film both the passenger and the driver. With this in mind, what wide-angle lens should I get and what would you recommend?

2. The microphone is great, but picks up lots of wind noise when filming outside if it's breezy. It there an external mic that can be fitted to this camcorder that will reduce the wind noise?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Still looking for help with these accessories if anyone can offer any advice? :lease:

Hi Cheddar

At its widest angle setting the TM300 lense is equivalent to a 45mm lens on a 35mm camera when filming in 16:9, so hardly wide angle at all. The standard ".7" wide angle lense from Panasonic is the VW-LW4307ME which will apply a .7 factor to the standard lens. So 45mm becomes 31mm, reasonably wide angle. The actual angle of view for a focal length of 31mm will be about 60 degrees.

So to check if this is wide enough you could cut a bit of cardboard at this angle and put the apex of the angle in the place you intend to mount the camera. I would guess it would give you the coverage you need. Depends how far into the corner of the dashboard you can mount the camera.

The Panasonic lens doesn't seem to be that widely available but a google will throw up a couple of options.

For the microphone I would recommend (with caveats) the ROde stereo videomic. I have used one of these on my Sony CX6 for 18 months. It comes with a "dead cat" windshield which is very good at damping wind noise. Only 2 grumbles are 1) there is some handling noise despite the shock absorbing mounting (using rubber o rings) and 2) it is rather large - as big and almost as heavy as the camcorder. Quality of sound is excellent.

Hope this is useful.

Cheddar ,
If you pm me I will give you some advice . I am an ADI and use camcorders in car with w/a lens to good effect .

Julian

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback so far... Julian, I have PM'd you :smashin:

This is the suction mount that I may use to video the driver and instructor: B. Hague & Co. Ltd Car Mounts & Suction Pads

Due to a new University project I am about to undertake, there will also be the need for me to video instructor and driver from either the centre of the windscreen or from the corner (with both faces clearly in shot), using this mount.

Which lens do you think I will need for this purpose from all these:

B. Hague & Co. Ltd Raynox Wide Angle Lens Adaptors

I am so confused by the 0.3x, 0.66x, etc. (subtyrant, I was confused by your calculation?) :confused:

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback so far... Julian, I have PM'd you :smashin:

This is the suction mount that I may use to video the driver and instructor: B. Hague & Co. Ltd Car Mounts & Suction Pads

Due to a new University project I am about to undertake, there will also be the need for me to video instructor and driver from either the centre of the windscreen or from the corner (with both faces clearly in shot), using this mount.

Which lens do you think I will need for this purpose from all these:

B. Hague & Co. Ltd Raynox Wide Angle Lens Adaptors

I am so confused by the 0.3x, 0.66x, etc. (subtyrant, I was confused by your calculation?) :confused:

I have had good results from that Raynox 0.5 x 5050 Pro , also the 0.66 x model looks ok but its quite a bit dearer .
You really need to try one to see if it gives you the view/results you are after , that mount you hightlight is a good bit of kit , I tried one out and it gives a solid mount on the windscreen.
A few of my sons Scooby friends had them for track days .

HTH

Julian

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom