1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic HD8 and new Pioneer plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by migas, Jun 27, 2005.

1. migas

migas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know what kind of features could we expect to see on the forthcoming Panasonic HD8 and Pioneer plasmas to arrive in the market in the next months? :rolleyes:
    Is the Panasonic HD8 aimed for Europe?

2. bix

bix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  3. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HD8 is presumably going to be pretty much the same as the PV500 but without the speakers, tuner and connections.

As somebody with a dedicated sound system and Sky+ I'll be waiting for the HD8 since it will hopefully be a cheaper version of the PV500 without the bits I don't need.

4. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I doubt it - probably not less than £2k - then you have to add interface cards and panel mounting

Scart - £100
    Component - £60
    HDMI - £120
    Deskstand or Wallmount - £100

Budget for around £2300 and that would be an aggressive price !

So not really any cheaper than a 500 and no chance of a 5 year warranty being thrown in as with a JL supplied 500.

Anyone thinking of going with the new 8 series panels will have to pay a hefty premium for the privilege :thumbsdow unless Panasonic Commercial completely change their strategy and start bundling interface cards.

The inescapable fact is that the 500 has already become a commodity item and will become even cheaper during the year to compete with the latest models from Samsung and LG.

It will be galling to see a 42" 500 going for under £2k from say JL with a 5 year warranty included when PWD8 panel with similar connectivity and warranty will be another £800 or so.

Gussie :)

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello all

migas - you need to be clear on what your comparing!

Panasonic Business Systems UK will shortly release the 8 Series Display models - which will be compatible with 720P(50) and 1080i(50) Digital signals via HDMI or DVI.

There will be Standard Definition 37 and 42" models along with 42, 50 and 65" Higher Definition models.

These will not be sold through Panasonic Consumer - though they will appear in the Consumer 'Channel' as the Display models have consistently outperformed the Integrated TV models and the 'format' of a Display with plug in Video Boards works well for many Home Theatre enthusiasts.

Pioneer UK will soon enough release the 06XDE PlasmaTV models which will have a pretty similar format to the 05XDE - with an external Media Box for all of your Video Inputs.

darrens - the PHD8 is not intended as some form of cut down PV500. There are two very different design teams at work within two competing arms of the same parent company with different aims and target markets.

Gussie - I'm sure folk will choose the model that best fits their requirements and if the PHD8 is more expensive than a PV500 but produces a better image then why not pay a bit more for the privilege :)

Best regards

Joe

6. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I certainly would not mind paying a couple of hundred quid more !

BUT as in my forecast - I think you'll find the premium to be nearer £800 !

It's all down to the 500 becoming a mainstream product with JL flogging it with a bundled 5 Year Warranty for around the £2000 mark soon!

Do you really think the PWD8 is worth another £800 ?

I'd love my forecast to be proved wrong - maybe you know different ?

Now if JL abandons the 5 Year Warranty (unlikely) then that's a different scenario and equals things up a bit.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello Gussie

Some folk think were all mad as you can purchase a 32" CRT from Tesco's for about a fiver :)

I take it your wanting to compare and contrast the PHD8 (1024x768) with the PV500 - I'm sure the PWD8 (852x480) will be a fair bit less expensive than a PV500.

If the PHD8 produces a better image than a PV500 then I guess you have to decide how much of a compromise any cost advantage the PV500 may have over the PHD8 is worth to you.

Keep in mind your talking to someone who paid near 11K for my first HD Display - so anything between 2-3K looks mighty cheap :)

Best regards

Joe

8. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    personally I think the PV500 has great PQ but its just to ugly to go on my living room wall. I would personally pay agood few hundred extra to have a display with a lovely small trim around the screen. I would never use the tuner on the PV500 because my sky box is there for that..

Just my thoughts

9. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, it's not the most beautiful. But it looks OK low down (not stuck up at the height you'd hang a painting). And the PV500 tuner ain't as good as a dedicated box, but handy for PIP...

And, what's most important - you can actually buy one!

10. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May I humbly suggest that the HD8 is for serious Home Cinema enthusiasts and the plug and play TV models are for Joe/Joan Average?

11. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Speculation on the US forums is that the new 8 Series panels despite Panasonics assertion of a 1/8" bezel, actually comprises 1/8" plastic bezel together with a huge black inner surround - as shown here ....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=5801260&&#post5801260

If true then the 7 Series is far better cosmetically and Panasonic are making huge cock-ups in their styling!

I actually prefer a panel rather than the ugly 500 - BUT paying another £800 or so makes me think twice !!!

12. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd suggest that there are in fact 3 sectors now. The reason the PV500s are so interesting to so many people is because you can now get an awful lot of the connectivity of a a panel (HDMI, VGA, RGB scarts) with the family-friendliness of an older Viera.

So increasingly it looks as if the advantages of the panel are mostly aesthetic. No doubt there will be some extra tweakage, but it's such a damned good picture in the first place I'm not sure what the returns will be.

Also, bear in mind that the new Panny panels are being produced by the Business Unit - their prime market is display panels for companies, not Home Cinema. Sure, they'd be madder than Mad Jack MacMad not to make them as HC-friendly as possible, but when there's a conflict of interest they'll come down on the side of the folks who are happy to pay using their shareholders' money...

13. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for putting me right although I certainly "feel" like the target market for the PHD8 and my only interest is home cinema (not commercial). It's not the absolute price that's important but I would prefer that all my money goes towards a good picture rather than some of it being spent on tuner/audio that I won't use.

Any word on when the 50" PHD8 will be available?

14. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sulis mate

That may or may not be the case buddy..but the displays are still a helluva lot more tweakable, flexible and videop procerssor friendly than any TV up to now... right? Hence my assertion.

Darren

You dont need to wait for a scintillating Panny display as its here already. Its simply called a Fujitsu 50xha40us..it uses Panny glass allied to Fuji AVM2 so you need to compare these two monsters rather than think "Oh! Panny badge... i have nothing else to look at!" I would be surprised if the Panny 8 outclasses the Fuji AVM2 tbh. And so do the experts.

Get a demo man ..its the big boy in town right now.

15. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dilsher, quite right - I'd probably unfairly discounted the fuji based on the last set of magazine reviews but I really need to see it for myself.

16. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS And it's also £5k, so quite a bit more than than the 50" PV500 is going to be and I'd guess quite a bit more than the PHD8 is going to be. Not sure I'd be able to justify the premium.

I'm no Panny fan-boy but the fuji will have to do something special to interest me again.

17. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Darren

Have you just got back from Glastonbury mate???? To many trips was it??? Which mag was that then????? I have read each one, i think (after buyng it though!). There's even a What Plasma one reproduced here on this forum above which gives it 10.

I am sure you are thinking of the wrong model!!!

Look at the model number again its a 50XHA40US and has recieved the best reviews of any 50" ever in all mags - not that i and others trust them ....anyways ask retailers like Liam, Gordon , MAW, Joe, and Horny here amongst many others - and they will tel you how good it is..

PS EDit

Yeps got it its the 3 star review of the ES model you're thinking on! Nothing like this one man!

18. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ummm... my point, which I suspect I didn't make clear enough, is that your statement was certainly true as far as the older Vieras were concerned, but it's not clear to me that this applies for the PV500s.

With the HDMI input you should now be able connect them to a scaler, the VGA port means you can connect your Macs (or PCs if you haven't seen the light) to them, and although they may not be quite so tweakable as the commercial screens I'm really not convinced that that's a big deal – I will still get my PV500 ISF'd, but any improvement in the (gorgeous) picture will just be icing on the cake.

So, I reckon I stand by what I said... :)

19. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good on ya Sulis! I love a challenge!

I betcha, though, the ISF and service menu experts will agree with me on this one! Oi....where are ya Gordon, MAW, Horny D, Liam, Joe and the others???

:D :thumbsup:

20. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    ****** to panels and TVs, if the less fancy it is the more customisable it is, then I just want a piece of glass with wires sticking out back. ;)

21. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    roflmmao!!

indeed Rah mate..lol

22. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I was looking at the review of the 42HHA40US which I assumed was just the same as the 50XHA40US but the smaller version with a tuner added. If they are chalk and cheese then apologies.

23. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes, the 42 and the 50 are very different beasts. (the 42" is an ALIS panel which has a lot of detractors as well as fans)

24. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm weakening for the fujitsu but if I'm not totally happy with it I'll be holding dilsher 100% responsible for my decision to buy it.

I'm just waiting to hear if there's any interesting stuff coming out of CEDIA.

25. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol..oh darren you make me die man!

Listen tell ya wot..you get one and if ya send it back I will ....think of summat? No seriously, too many owners here and not one has an issue apart from Rahmo!! And he is super sensitive to PQ.

OPut it this way if Gordon Fraser and Liam McLaughlin bloody well say its the tops now, who am I to disagree???

Go on you know ya want to - well at least get a demo!!!

If you happen to be anywhere near central London you can always come see mine with scaler???

26. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I found the review that made me hesitate. It's in the "Home Cinema" (July 2005) and is a review of the P50XHA40. They don't specify "US" but since it's got an HDCP-compliant HDMI socket and RRP is £4,995 I'm assuming it's the US model.

Anyway, they like it but here's the paragraph that made me stop
    Okay, before you jump down my throat and tell me that no plasma looks as good with broadcast TV as DVD sources and that all are dependent on source quality, the implication is that this plasma isn't as good as others displaying poor quality sources.

That would be a problem for me since the majority of my viewing is Sky+.

However, the review isn't explicit about that point so I'm still unsure if this plasma is any worse than any other at displaying things like Sky+. To be honest, with AVM2 I was expecting it to be better.

So, to those who have actually got the panel, is the review making a valid point about the Fuji not being as good as other plasmas with Sky+?

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sulis, the PV500 is not suitable for scaler use, just like the XDE Pioneers. No native on digital. The Fujitsu is excellently specified, haven't drooled over one since yesterday.... Our demo one coming soon. V. late, but we've been busy! The Fuji has series 7 glass of course, the new panels will use next gen glass. As to a £800 price premium, that's just not how things work in the world of HC and custom install. Can't remember the last time I used more than 1 board in the screen, apart from to do PinP thingys. HDCP-DVI does me for all installs with a scaler, and component for all those without. Now the PHD7 can be had for under £2k now, (42) so if prices follow last year's pattern, we will see the PHD8 42 £150 or so less than the PV500, plus some boards and a mount. I reckon it'll be virtually on a par after a few months, then some hard choices will have to be made by you buyers. I've said this before, and I know Joe will be right behind me on this. The decision is simply, do you want a telly just like the previous one, but flatter and bigger, or do you want to seamlessly integrate all your home entertainment, with surround sound, music, web, TV, DVD? Choose your display accordingly.

28. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary

Let me assure you Sky is 70 percent of my viewing and its fantatastically good even on poor channels. Al this is saying is its as good as another fed this source..Like I say cmon over and check mine out before you buy abyting else.

Oh rea\d what MAW is syaing above...

Mind you mine is with a scaler!

29. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Where abouts are you Darrens? If you live nearby (I am in South Lakes) then you can drop in and see my Fuji 50". It doesn't have a scaler and has not been ISF'd so will give a good idea of what kind of image you will get.

30. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Maw - guess I was over-optimistic on that one. Oh well, I wasn't sure how a scaler could make the PV500 picture much better, anyway!

I suspect that if you have a 50" screen then it will make a useful difference...