Panasonic HC-X900MK vs. DSLR?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by aryando1, Mar 3, 2013.

1. aryando1

aryando1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm just looking to purchase a new camera/video camera for shooting music videos. This is a video I shot with my friends Nikon D5100 recently
    . I have saved up and have about $1000 to spend. I'm wondering if I should buy a video camera, like the Panasonic HCX-900MK or a DSLR like the Canon 60D or T4i. Which would give me professional looking and high quality videos? If anyone knows it would help me out so much. Thank you very much.

2. aryando1

aryando1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please help me? No response :( ?

3. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Hi there + Welcome . . . . are you happy with the movie results from that Nikon? If so, that sets yr standard and I suspect a camcorder will be rather restricting, despite having "full manual control" - Huh!

DSLR is probably easier to use for "filmic" control - as you have proper focus scales and iris-ring separated . . . and lots of lenses to choose from. Whilst Canon has the name in pro-circles they are pricey, IMHO. So can you find a Nikon that still takes the same lens-mount . . . so you can have extra flexibility on TWO cameras(when filming with yr friend)... . . . vey useful if you need to use the other camera for either "wide" or "narrow" shots.
    + Where camcorders score is in running-time, provided you buy their biggest battery . . . but for music promos I guess shots are quite short.
    Do check the camera allows follow- AF when filming . . . quite a few cheaper models lock the AF, presumably to save processor power.